Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By s_clarsach

Thread: Camera Bag/Everyday Purse?

Camera Bag/Everyday Purse?

Hi there,
    I currently use the medium Cafe bag as an everyday purse, but am also in need of a camera bag. I'm in school for photography and would like to start taking my camera with me where ever I go. I'd like to carry just one bag that can function as a purse and also hold a DSLR, one extra lens (not telephoto), and a few small accessories. I need something at least lightly padded so I can carry my camera and keep it safe from anything else inside the bag or getting banged up from the outside. I know Tom Bihn makes the camera insert, but it's much too large for this purpose. I've researched other bag makers, but haven't found one I'm completely happy with and would like to stick with Bihn if possible.
    Is there any bag that would work for my needs?
    Thank you.

What about the co-pilot? You would want to add some padded pouches or foam to protect your camera and lens. The Synapse also makes a nice camera bag, but I don't know if you are interested in a backpack.
    Lani likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

A second vote for a Co-Pilot.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I successfully used a Ristretto for iPad to carry a Nikon D7000 body, a 12-18mm lens, and an iPad. However, lens had to be detached. Otherwise, I throw in the third vote for the Co-pilot, but you will need to put in a little padding.

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

I've used the Large Cafe Bag to hold a dlsr, separate telephoto lens in its padded bag, associated batteries, memory cards plus a lens cloth or two. And a hat, long scarf, wallet, tons of purse stuff, water bottle, notebook and guidebook.

It works great. I pad the bottom of the bag with the hat or scarf, put the camera on top of that, and the telephoto lens to the side. There's plenty of room in the main compartment for a notebook and other paraphenalia, including smaller organizer bags.

The bag hangs nicely on the shoulder, and I can slip it around to the back when I need to get a shot. It's handled light rain without the contents getting wet. Snow, too.

Quote Originally Posted by s_clarsach View Post
    I've used the Large Cafe Bag to hold a dlsr, separate telephoto lens in its padded bag, associated batteries, memory cards plus a lens cloth or two. And a hat, long scarf, wallet, tons of purse stuff, water bottle, notebook and guidebook.

It works great. I pad the bottom of the bag with the hat or scarf, put the camera on top of that, and the telephoto lens to the side. There's plenty of room in the main compartment for a notebook and other paraphenalia, including smaller organizer bags.

The bag hangs nicely on the shoulder, and I can slip it around to the back when I need to get a shot. It's handled light rain without the contents getting wet. Snow, too.
    Thank you! I went searching in the forums for this exact question and you answered it perfectly!