Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By Heynurse
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: Windbreaker/light rain jacket in dyneema pouch?

Windbreaker/light rain jacket in dyneema pouch?

Hi All. So....I have my imago as my EDC and am in the process of systemizing (real word?) my daily junk in different PCSB's inside the imago, ie one as a diaper bag on days I have the baby, then one for my nurse stuff (stethoscope, tape' extra scrubs). I was thinking about if my light rain jacket would work in a Dyneema pouch. I measured the imago and I don't think the large would fit but the medium might. I think another PCSB would be overkill and I would often need the rain jacket/windbreaker with one of the PCSB's. I have it folded down to be about 11 x 7 with a smooshed width of 1in. Any thoughts Tom Bihn guru's??

That would fit a large OP, what about one of the new Travel Stuff Sacks, fold the jacket to a narrow width, then roll it?
    Lani likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I wanted to try to keep the profile as slim as possible, but if you think the large OP woulld fit I might just have to pick one up. Thanks Dorayme

A large op will not be thicker, but will allow for a flatter jacket. Rolling wll give the most compact package of all though. The question is do you have room for the roll with the two PCSB?
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Oh the beauty is I never have both cubes in there at the same time my baby never comes to work and I pray I never have to play nurse to my baby. From looking at pics someone sent the cube takes up pretty much the whole length of the bag so I figured all I had left to play with was the width. So I heard you name your bags? I haven't named mine, but I did make the mistake today and told my wife she was sitting in my bags spot when we were in the car

Quote Originally Posted by Heynurse View Post
    ... but I did make the mistake today and told my wife she was sitting in my bags spot when we were in the car
    This is hilarious! Love this, Heynurse.

And, of course, I laugh because I can relate

Heynurse, when you say fit, are you going to be upset if it isn't completely flat? I can check dimensions with my large OP and my son's Imago later in the am if that's an issue.

I know that an XLarge nylon packable windbreaker fits into one of the Synapse side pocket.

Which Travel Stuff Sack would that be? Is there a corresponding pocket on the Imago?

A Travel Stuff Sack or a Pouch would enable you to place the jacket in the back pocket, keeping it dry and easy to retrieve.

Volunteer Moderator
    I think dorayme's right that a travel stuff sack would work better than a large organizer pouch. The issue with using a large organizer pouch isn't the fit of the large pouch into the Imago -- it's that when you insert a large, flat, folded windbreaker into a flat pouch of that size, it's difficult to easily insert and then retrieve the jacket without having to spend time poking the edges into the corners of the pouch if you want this to lie flat. If I wanted to put a light windbreaker into a separate pouch in the Imago, and keep it as flat as possible, I'd probably use the Aeronaut end-pocket packing cube. That's about the same dimensions as the packing cube shoulder bag, but not as deep so it lies flatter, and has a convenient loop for pulling out the bag.

If you had to have a bag that uses the height and width of the Imago to best advantage for your windbreaker, I'd try the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter cube, which is more three-dimensional, but since the nylon material is really light weight, it offers less support for the contents.

Otherwise, I'd use the small (size #2) travel stuff sack. I can fit one of my light nylon windbreakers, or even a down vest, into a Specter quarter cube, and put the whole thing inside a Side Effect. (In fact, in the picture I posted in your original thread query about using a diaper bag in an Imago, the Side Effect shown beside the Clear Quarter Packing Cube is holding a packed Specter quarter cube. Check Lani's Travelite review of the travel stuff sacks for more information on sizes. I'd guess that you may be able to use a size #2 travel stuff sack for your windbreaker if it's a light nylon shell. (I have plenty of room in my stuff sack, but I'm using a woman's size small shell). If you have a large build and the jacket is heavier, then a size #3 travel stuff sack would work.

I'll attach a few pictures. I couldn't find a light-weight men's shell, so the Pack-It Specter cube is holding a men's XXL Ralph Lauren Polo cotton windbreaker -- not heavy, but with a few layers of fabric, so definitely not lightweight. The Pack-It Specter cube could hold a lot more, up to a maximum depth of 3 inches (same as the PCSB). For comparison, I show the Specter Quarter cube (holding my down vest) and the size #2 travel stuff sack holding my nylon shell windbreaker (which takes up less room than the down vest).

I was interested in how the sizes and dimensions of the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter cubes compared to the travel stuff sacks. Lani posted about using these Specter cubes to pack her Synapse as an ultra-light, one-bag travel challenge for a trip to Japan. The quarter cube is about the same size as the 3D Clear Organzer Cube or Side Effect, and a bit smaller than the size #2 (small) travel stuff sack. For comparison, I'll also show a photo of these bags seen with a Co-Pilot.

This is the Pack-It Specter Cube holding a men's XXL jacket in the Imago. The cube sits all the way in the bag when it's not pulled out. The quarter cube at the left is holding my down vest, and the size #2 Wasabi travel stuff sack at the right is holding my nylon windbreaker (woman's small).
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347412039.233358.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  61.0 KB
    Here's the Specter Cube with men's XXL jacket pulled out of the Imago, with a Solar Aeronaut Packing Cube (end-pocket) for comparison. (I'd probably use that packing cube in preference to the Specter Cube for a jacket. You can't tell from the picture, but the Specter cube nylon is super light-weight, and only holds its shape from the packed contents.)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347412056.954924.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  69.2 KB
    The down vest with an empty quarter cube and a medium size organizer pouch for size comparison.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347412078.548730.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  95.1 KB
    The #2 Wasabi travel stuff sack with down vest and a packed quarter cube seen against the Co-Pilot
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347412092.736974.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  101.7 KB
    The above #2 travel stuff sack and Specter quarter cube on a steel Co-Pilot, next to a Small Cafe Bag in Azalea, for those who want another size comparison.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347412112.886771.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  93.5 KB

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 09-11-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added picture descriptions
    snowbot and K_SA like this.

Excellent pictures to illustrate your point moriond. Thanks for sharing.

Volunteer Moderator
    @dorayme I was interested to see that REi features the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter cubes in Tangerine, although that's listed as being currently out of stock. They also list Strobe green and white/red as colors with photos coming soon. The main Eagle Creek site for the Pack-It Specter Cube sets still only shows the white option.

I was actually at REI today and saw those Tangerine Cubes, so I can confirm that they do carry them. Saw a few of the white ones as well. Boy is that Tangerine, well, ORANGE, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @dorayme I was interested to see that REi features the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter cubes in Tangerine, although that's listed as being currently out of stock. They also list Strobe green and white/red as colors with photos coming soon. The main Eagle Creek site for the Pack-It Specter Cube sets still only shows the white option.

Great pics! Thanks so much. I think you are right and the stuff sack is the way to go. Wish they came with "o" rings.

These are the best pictures!!!! I love seeing all the different size comparisons. AND I didn't realize the co-pilot and the SCB were so similar in size. *sigh* this puts a monkey in all of my wish list plans.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynurse View Post
    Great pics! Thanks so much. I think you are right and the stuff sack is the way to go. Wish they came with "o" rings.
    @heynurse I can fit my folded windbreaker jacket entirely into one of the inner pockets of the Imago without using a travel stuff sack, but if I wanted to carry it in a pouch I'd use the #2 travel stuff sack inside the main compartment and use the inside pockets for other items. However, you might use that as a gauge for whether you need the larger size #3 travel stuff sack. You can clip the hook end of one of the key straps that come with the Imago to the cord end of the stuff sack.

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    These are the best pictures!!!! I love seeing all the different size comparisons. AND I didn't realize the co-pilot and the SCB were so similar in size. *sigh* this puts a monkey in all of my wish list plans.
    @darbs The Co-Pilot is much bigger than the small cafe bag because of its depth (e.g., it's more like a cube, whereas the cafe bags can only expand to about 3 inches.) The pictures show an empty, squashed Co-Pilot with the stuff sacks and Specter Quarter cubes lying on top of it, so you don't get any feeling of how much the Co-Pilot can hold without a 3-D view. The pictures were more for showing you relative sizes if you transferred these sacks to different bags.

For some Ravelry type projects the travel stuff sacks use space more efficiently because of the oval (rather than round) cross section. This is made clear from some of the pictures in Lani's Travellite blog review of the travel stuff sacks that was linked in an earlier post.

moriond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0