Question Tri-Star in a business meeting?

I've seen a bit of feedback about this in some previous threads but I wanted to see if I could get some direct feedback from Tri-Star users on this question. I think the Tri-Star suits my business travel needs except I would really like to be able to unpack it at my hotel and then use it essentially as a briefcase in meetings. Does it look enough like a large briefcase that I might be able to throw my computer, iPad, and a few other items into it and carry it into a meeting with a client (business casual type of stuff, mostly with engineers) without looking too much like I'm schlepping my luggage around? Would I be better off buying the larger Aeronaut (or a Red Oxx Air Boss) and packing a second, smaller bag into it to use in meetings instead? Thanks in advance.

Just to clarify, I've established based on what I need to pack that the Tri-Star is probably the minimum size I could carry for a single travel bag. I realize something like the Western Flyer would look better in a meeting but it's simply not big enough for me to use as a single travel bag. So the options are really the Tri-Star or two bags, as far as I see it.
    Last edited by rbooker; 08-30-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added some clarification

it should work (especially if you got one in steel or black). once unpacked, the ts smushes down in thickness enough to where it really does basically look like a large briefcase. in fact, i'm planning this very approach with my steel ts next week (in a similar environment, even) when i visit one of my company's factories in canada.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I agree with capncat. And as long as you don't pack the Tri-Star completely full, I don't think the difference in size between it and a bag like the Western Flyer would be noticeable to anyone... unless you're in a meeting with TOM BIHN wonks like us who know the two bags. These photos of the Western Flyer might be useful -- picture the Tri-Star with one of the compartments empty or mostly empty.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks for the info, capncat and Darcy. Sadly, during all my dithering around trying to make a choice, the Black/Iberian Tri-Star sold out so I guess I'm back to square one since I need to purchase something soon. I suppose that's my punishment for indecision.

We double-checked for you and we're definitely out of the Black/Iberian. We do, however, have two Black/Steel left; if you'd like one, place an order for the Tri-Star in Black/Steel (despite the * indicating it's on backorder) and reference this forum thread in the comments box during the checkout.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We double-checked for you and we're definitely out of the Black/Iberian. We do, however, have two Black/Steel left; if you'd like one, place an order for the Tri-Star in Black/Steel (despite the * indicating it's on backorder) and reference this forum thread in the comments box during the checkout.
    Darcy, that's fantastic; thanks for checking. I'd actually prefer the Black/Steel anyway so I'll order one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Darcy, quick question: I need to receive the order by next Friday (9/7). I realize you can't make any guarantees but, in your experience, is there a decent chance that UPS Ground makes it to Houston, TX by next Friday? If not, I'll just spend the extra $34 for 3-day but, obviously, I'd rather avoid that if possible.

rbooker, check the UPS transit map (you can find this under the shipping rates section)....I am in the red area (4 days transit) of the UPS transit map and if I place an order by 12:30 Pacific Time on Monday, it arrives on Friday. So I would think even if you're in the yellow area (5 days transit), if it ships out by tomorrow, you are likely to get it by Thursday or Friday. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by rbooker View Post
    Darcy, quick question: I need to receive the order by next Friday (9/7). I realize you can't make any guarantees but, in your experience, is there a decent chance that UPS Ground makes it to Houston, TX by next Friday? If not, I'll just spend the extra $34 for 3-day but, obviously, I'd rather avoid that if possible.
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, rbooker: feel free to give us a call (1-800-729-9607) if you need an immediate answer.

Using the UPS Time-In-Transit Calculator to a zip code in downtown Houston (77002), I'm seeing that you'll need to select UPS 3 Day Select, which will guarantee delivery by the end of the day on Thursday, September 6th. 2nd Day Air will guarantee delivery by the end of the day on Wednesday, September 5th.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0