Advice for setting up my mobile office...
With job changes pending, I am gearing up to set up my mobile office. That means it's time to buy new gear! :) It also means there are a lot of questions for the experts! :o
My new responsibilities will require me to have a solid mobile office. Lots of moving from site-to-site for meetings, mostly, and little time spent at my actual desk. There will be some flying, but more car travel. Basically, I need all my stuff with me at all times. Here's the expected standing load o' gear:
- Levovo Thinkpad 420 with power brick
- Ipad (leather case), iPhone & associated cables & chargers
- Notepad/folio, and an assortment of folders & paperwork
- Water bottle and travel coffee mug
- Office essentials (pens and such)
- Personal doo dads (sunglasses, gum, blah blah blah)
I have been rocking the Brain Bag for a couple of years now, but I am afraid that it won't do the job given the need for constant access to my stuff as I move. I'm also needing something that's a *touch* more professional, as I will be doing a lot of work with directors/execs.
Given that set of requirements (and the obligatory hours of research!), it seems that the Zephyr or Empire Builder is the best move. I was thinking the WF for a while (from an earlier post), but I'm not sure that the WF is as practical for office-to-office car schlepping. Does that make sense?
And here are some specific questions for those Zephyr/EB experts:
- Based on my daily haul, is the Zephyr going to be too small?
- How are the Zephyr/EB for running with your laptop "naked" (no sleeve)?
- Does anyone prefer the cache over the brain cell in this kind of situation?
And (last but not least): it looks like I would need a size 4Z brain cell. Ideally, I'd like to use it in both the BB and EB/Zephyr as needed. Will that fit the Brain bag (clipped) as well, or would it need to be unclipped to work? I seem to recall some mixed feedback on the comfort of using a horizontal brain cell in the Brain Bag.
Any thoughts/guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!