Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Medium Cafe Bag

Medium Cafe Bag

I think I am going to order a Medium Cafe Bag soon and I have two questions. First, does the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap make a difference and is it worth ordering? Second, in person, does plum look more like the picture on the Small Cafe Bag page or more like this?

Yeb90 I think the strap is worth it. I love mine. The color is more like the Bihn web page. I'm not in a place where I can post links but if you can find them I've got photos of other plum products in some of my posts. The last one I remember is my Synapse from May (I'm pretty sure) of this year.
    Take care
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    The color is more like the Bihn web page.
    Thanks Moose. I thought that might be the case. I probably won't go with plum then. It is a beautiful color, just not what I'm looking for. Now I'm stuck between storm/steel and linen/steel. I wish I had a better sense of linen, but from what I read it seems that it's kind of hard to get a picture that gives an idea of all the nuances of the color.

I've been to the Tom Bihn store, and thought I'd give a try explaining my reaction to linen and storm. I recall linen having a taupe/grayish hue rather than a warm/yellowish hue. The storm reminded me of a light denim color, with gray/blue undertone. I like both colors, and think they would go with a lot.

I'm not sure if that helps without a picture of them. I'm fortunate that I can get down there a few times a year; makes a huge difference seeing them in person! I suggest asking for swatches of the colors. They come in the mail quickly and it will help you to see them in different sources of light.

Of course, you could always just buy one in each color . . .

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    The Ultrasuede strap wrap IMHO is definitely worth it!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I have the storm/steel and it is amazing!!!! I was on the fence about it and decided to take the plunge and LOVE it! It is the perfect blue with a grayish undertone. It is almost neutral like your favorite pair of blue jeans would be. I have posted several pictures of it on here although the most recent ones don't really do the color justice. I have considered getting a linen SCB but feel like it is hard to read the true color from the website. Storm is the way to go!

That's what I've been thinking. Now I just need to convince myself that I really do need the bag (more than just: it's such a nice bag . More like: I'll carry it when I have just a few things to carry and don't want to take my whole backpack). If I do order it, I'll definitely go with the Ultrasuede Strap Wrap.

Thanks All!
    dorayme likes this.

In general I'm more of a tote or backpack person. I severely doubted the "need" for a MCB, but I kept flirting with the idea of one because EVERYBODY had one and seemed to adore theirs. I was gifted one when Azalea debuted and I now get it. It is a wonderful size to hold a few things, but still a very useful size in that it can handle items like your iPad, a composition notebook, or a water bottle. It is very comfortable to carry cross body, especially with the USW. The pockets are placed in such a way that I can have things both handy and secure.
    I love using my MCB for day trips, travel, shopping and events. It's my favorite choice for times when I need my hands free for more important things like hand holding, but a backpack is too much.
    I don't have any Storm or Linen, but I have seen both in person and both are lovely colors and work as light neutrals. As described, Linen is a grayish taupe, but the beauty is that it seems to change hue to coordinate and complement whatever it is close to. Storm is like light denim, but with the TB Cordura sheen and durability that wears like iron. I don't think you could go wrong with either, maybe you need to buy them both and send back the one you decide you can live without?
    Darcy and backpack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    In general I'm more of a tote or backpack person. I severely doubted the "need" for a MCB, but I kept flirting with the idea of one because EVERYBODY had one and seemed to adore theirs.
    This describes me perfectly. I really hadn't even considered a Cafe Bag, but people really seem to love theirs. I can also see it being a very convenient size for when I have more than just what will fit in a wallet, but not enough to warrant a backpack. It's also definitely more adult looking than the mini backpack I have which probably looks pretty ridiculous on my back.

I had decided to go with storm, but every time somebody describes the linen I'm really tempted. In general I'm a blue person through and through. It's the fact that "it seems to change hue to coordinate and complement whatever is close to it" that draws me in. I don't want to order both bags, but maybe I really should order swatches. I guess It depends on how long it would take to get them as I only have a few weeks before I leave for school and would rather have it shipped here than there.

A few of questions about size. I just got a standard 32 oz nalgene. Anybody know if it would fit comfortably in a MCB along with wallet, iphone, book, and notebook? If so, would there be any room to spare or would that be it? How about if I wanted to throw in a folded up rain coat (fairly compact) along with everything else?
    Last edited by yeb90; 08-10-2012 at 11:53 AM.

How large are your book and notebook?

Swatches are a good idea, but if you love blue, I would say choose Storm. If you like your bags to be neutral, choose Linen. An email to Katy, or call to customer service would let you know eta if you ordered swatches.

I use that same size Nalgene! Depending on how big the book is, it should fit fine. The raincoat, I'm not sure about. Depends on how compact it folds up. I have stashed a super small umbrella in mine with my Nalgene though! I posted some pictures somewhere on this forum! I'll see if I can find the links for you. Nalgene isn't pictured, but when I find it, I'll tell you what I would leave out to make it fit.

I found it!!!

Is a large Cafe Bag right for me?

Scroll down and you'll see my pics. Please note that those pictures don't do the Storm color justice! They were taken in my horribly lit office with no natural light. I would definitely leave out the Arc notebook; I don't carry it daily anyway. Everything else could stay and my Nalgene would fit in there just fine. Your book would fit in the space my stuffed Medium OP takes up and depending on the notebook, it could fit in the outside pocket probably. Hope that helps!

This picture is much better to give you a true reading on Storm!

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/custom...ame-today.html

As well as Wasabi, Iberian, Solar, Hemp, and the dark storm. The storm inside my bag is lighter than that pouch in the top right corner.

Glad to here about the nalgene. The notebook would be a regular 8.5x11 or a little smaller. As for the book: I'm a reader and I like to carry around whatever book I'm currently reading. When possible, I stick to paperback because I prefer the feel, so I guess it would generally be a pretty normal sized paperback (what's harder to say is how thick it might be). I am trying to convert myself to a kindle as it's so convenient for carrying around, but I still haven't quite gotten used to the feel of the kindle instead of a paper book. Only time will tell if that'll ever be what I carry around regularly.

In the end I'll probably go with the storm. Too bad the Organizer Wallet isn't available in linen. I think a linen wallet with a storm Cafe Bag would be a really nice combination.

>Too bad the Organizer Wallet isn't available in linen. I think a linen wallet with a storm Cafe Bag would be a really nice combination.

Have you considered the Recycled Rubber/Vulcana Hemp Wallet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0