Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Travel Stuff Sacks vs Packing Cubes

amw

Travel Stuff Sacks vs Packing Cubes

The Packing Cubes order page has pretty specific information on how many of each type will fit into various bags. Can you give any guidance on how many of the Size 4's will fit in various bags? Assuming the sacks are full of course.

--Andy

Hmmm, that isn't a bad idea. I would think the odd size makes it hard to definitely say what will fit but might be fun to know what combos would go with an Aeronaut for example.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Andy,I agree a height, width and depth at the widest and deepest point would be helpful. Perhaps early adopters will post photos so we can get a better idea. Darcy already posted a photo of the stuffsacks with an iPhone for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by amw View Post
    The Packing Cubes order page has pretty specific information on how many of each type will fit into various bags. Can you give any guidance on how many of the Size 4's will fit in various bags? Assuming the sacks are full of course.

--Andy

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amw View Post

--Andy
    We're working on a guide to which and how many Travel Stuff Sacks fit in which bags and where, though you might not see it for a few weeks -- there's a big project we're working on (can't tell you about it -- yet!)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I got all four sizes of the travel stuff sacks (I'll be posting a review within the next week). My biggest surprise was how small they were. It's not necessarily a bad thing; actually, the smallest one (size 1) is quite petite and I don't think there's anything quite that size in any of their other styles--bug if you're used to a really big hamper-sized bag, even the largest stuff sack will seem very very small.

I tried to compare sizes... size 3 fits my around my iPad (in a thin case) like a glove.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Cool -- looking forward to your review/seeing your photos, Lani.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

It seems Lani and I usually agree on most things. My stuff sacks also arrived today and I'll have a review up as well in a few days. Like her, I was also surprised at the size but have already figured out uses for all of them. For the non-metric people, like me, these are the approximate dimensions in inches: (the first is the height, the second are the length and width of the bottoms).

Size 1: 6" --- 3.5 x 2.5
    Size 2: 8" --- 5 x 3.5
    Size 3: 9.75"-- 6.5 x 4.5
    Size 4: 11"--- 7.5 x 5

I already see a couple of these replacing some packing cubes. If you want more information on how I plan to use them, you'll have to wait for my review.
    Last edited by Frank II; 07-25-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Humm, glad I ordered a 3 and 4 now!
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We're working on a guide to which and how many Travel Stuff Sacks fit in which bags and where
    Yaaaay!!

though you might not see it for a few weeks
    Boooo!

-- there's a big project we're working on (can't tell you about it -- yet!)
    Yaaaay!

Darcy likes this.

Question: if we made larger sizes of Travel Stuff Sacks, what dimensions or volume would you want them to be?

Here's a preview photo of the four sizes of stuff sacks with a foot long ruler and ipod touch (same size as iphone) as size guides:

Name:  TravelStuffSacks1.JPG
Views: 1165
Size:  72.4 KB
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Question: if we made larger sizes of Travel Stuff Sacks, what dimensions or volume would you want them to be?
    I'd like one that would fit just right in the end pocket of the Aeronaut. I always want to shove those full of yarn but I'm afraid of getting it caught in the zipper!

I think I'd want one that's the 13.5" height of the aeronaut's width. As far as the length and width of the stuff sack, that's a tougher call. The aeronaut end pockets are pretty narrow, so I don't know that I'd use one of these in there. The main pocket can be divided a variety of interesting ways... perhaps one that's similarly sized to a double-height small packing cube? That'd be roughly 13.5" x 8" x 6.5" when cinched up, I think. I'd trust y'all's opinion as to what makes the most sense for exact dimensions, but I'd be looking at using this size bag primarily as a laundry bag that would be filled up as I emptied out a large and a small packing cube. The entire contents of both could clearly not fit in the size stuff sack I'm talking about, but as long as most of it can, the larger items like jeans/khakis could be repacked flat, as they are in the large packing cube. It's really the dirty underwear, socks, t-shirts, etc. type stuff that I want to put in the stuff sack.

As usual, the interest in listening to your customers is one of the many things that sets y'all apart! It is noticed and appreciated.

A picture showing the travel tray next to the stuff sacks would be useful for those of us who have the tray.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, pretzelb, but here's a photo of the Aeronaut with an Aeronaut Packing Cube, Large in the main compartment and Travel Stuff Sacks in the end compartments. The little triangles with numbers on them indicate which size of Travel Stuff Sack you're seeing.

Name:  AERONAUTpackingcubes2.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  317.8 KB

Here's another photo that might be useful:

Attachment 2615

Note that the Travel Stuff Sacks in the main, middle compartment of the Aeronaut are on top of the Aeronaut Packing Cube, Large, packed with several pairs of pants that you see in the first photo.
    moriond likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0