Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is a large Cafe Bag right for me?

Is a large Cafe Bag right for me?

I have a stuffed medium Cafe Bag. Its stuffed with a Kit, Side Effect that doubles as a purse, medium pouch with all my gadget accessories, a medium sized generic pencil holder shaped bag for my stitching project, a checkbook and a few pens and pencils.

Is it possible to fit all this and my Field Journal in a large Cafe Bag? I'd like to carry all this and have space for my daily mail. If there was space left over for a pair of loafers that'd be a real plus but I don't see that happening for me.

I tried a Imago once and I really liked it except that it doesn't have enough structure to hold itself up. I've got a couple of Synapes and they are about the right size, a bit small with lunch and shoes in it but workable. Sometimes I find myself in work environments where a backpack is a bit too casual.

I've cut back dramatically on the amount of stuff I carry every day. I'm not sure I can cut back much more.

Any thoughts anyone has will be greatly appreciated.
    Take care,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

My Cafe Bags don't stand up too well on their own, but from the reports I hear that Swifts do stand up well. As a thought if the LCB turns out to not be a good fit. I don't have a field journal, so I'm afraid I can't test the capacity for you. Hopefully someone else can post a picture of a journal in an LCB to give you a way to judge.
    Ego in Cardinal/Steel, Ristretto in Plum/Wasabi, Side Effect in Plum/Wasabi, Imago in Navy/Cork/Wasabi, Cafe Bags in Azalea, Turquoise, and Linen, TB Wallet, misc. pouches, and son's Brain Bag in Steel

I agree with Sera. The LCB and the Imago are about the same size, but I think the Imago is a lot more structured than the LCB. I prefer the LCB, but everybody is different. I think you could fit all of that in an LCB, but the shoes would be stretching it. I don't have a field journal, but I can fit all that you mentioned plus my Nook Color and Arc notebook (the smaller one) in an LCB. I like the idea of using the Swift! You could even put your loafers in one of those new stuff sacks! Good luck!

Go for a Swift. It will hold all that easily. But then I don't like my bags so stuffed that I have to take everything out to find what I want.
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

Thanks everyone. I think I'll give the LCB a go. It might not hold everything but maybe it'll get close. I really like look of the Swift but I'm a securty nut I guess. I like zippers or at least a flap to keep stuff in when the bag falls over. I'm always afraid I'll loose something. I also really like that, if need be, I can carry the LCB cross body. Ok, now to pick the color, I have a love/hate thing with that part. Its always so hard.
    Thanks again,
    Moose

I have the LCB and the Swift, and I use my Side Effect as my purse. I was recently trying to get my Field Journal, Side Effect, my iPad, and a few accessories into my LCB to carry around town, and while technically it all fit, it was difficult to get everything in and out when needed. For example I went to the doctor's office and ended up standing there making a scene trying to wrestle what I needed out of the bag so I could find my purse to get into my wallet to pay my copay.

I ended up putting the LCB aside for now (love that bag - especially the Absolute strap), and putting everything in my large Swift, which works GREAT. I love that bag. Wow, the Swift is incredible. I have knit in the past, but not since long before I got this bag, and I'm happy to report that it works great for non-knitters. I use mine as a large purse/carryall. It's just perfect, and the Cork one I got is soooo pretty, I got three compliments on it today alone! Two from people in cafes who actually came over to where I was writing (in my Field Journal!), just to tell me what a beautiful bag I had.
    ncb4 likes this.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

I think sometimes people overlook the volume information when choosing between bags. The LCB is 11 liters and 675 cu. in. The Swift is 15.5 liters and 950 cu. in. Even though the capacity of the Swift is greater, the way the top closes can be a deal breaker. I own a LCB and a Swift and right now I find I'm using the Swift more than the LCB.

I'm with Moose! I hate an open bag. I prefer a zipper, but need at least a flap. I'm always afraid something is going to fall out or that it makes it easier for somebody to snatch something out of the bag. I love the look of the Swift, but with no way to close it, it just isn't an option for me. I do LOVE my LCB though...well, that is when I can get it back from the BF. Ever since our trip to Denver, he has pretty much claimed it as his own. I should have known when I got it in Steel that he'd scoop it up. Guess that just means I need to order a second one in a very girly color! (azalea anyone?)
    ncb4 likes this.

I don't like open bags either, but with my Swift I have my Side Effect and my Field Journal, and everything loose goes into one of the large side pockets that zip up, so I feel okay about it. If the bag fell over, then the two things that would fall out are the FJ or the SE, which are easy to pick up, unlike a bunch of small items like in a regular purse. So far this is working just fine, and the bag hasn't fallen over yet (it's very stable!).

I know what you mean about wanting things zipped up, though. I have given up on several purses because they tipped over at wrong times, like in a movie theater. And then I'm scrambling around in the dark trying to find everything. Crazy! My Side Effect is a great small purse but I would like to put more into it than it can handle, which is why I'm patiently waiting on a lovely new Synapse. My Swift will move to being a carryall bag for all the many things I tote around with the kids (library books, files for school, etc.).
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

You guys are great. Thank you so much for the suggestions, pros and cons. I went back, again, and looked at the Imago. It comes in ballistic nylon. Is that the same material the WF and Kit are made from? I purchased an Imago once but it just wouldn't hold itself up in any way shape or form so I sent it back. Now, the ballistic nylon (WF and Kit material) seems more, um, stiff, is maybe the word I'm looking for. Maybe it would sit up on its own better. Anyone have any ideas, thoughts about my theory?
    Thanks,
    Moose

Here is everything that I put in my MCB, well minus my Nook because I left it at home today. With the red Arc notebook, it is a tight squeeze, but it does fit. I don't carry the Arc notebook regularly though. I love my MCB though. It is amazing! Name:  2012-07-20_12-18-33_207.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  545.8 KB

And here is a close-up on the Storm/Steel color. I posted it on another thread, but just in case you want to see.Name:  2012-07-20_12-21-24_524.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  700.6 KB

kws
    I feel like my Imago stands up on its own fairly well, certainly better than my LCB.

I also want to mention that I also hesitated over the Swift because of the opening. I've found that things don't fall out of the Swift and it's actually become my second favorite bag (MCB is first). It definitely has TARDIS-like qualities while still being easy to carry and get to what's inside.

kws, do you have the cordura or ballistic Imago? I'm wondering if the ballistic stands up, holds its shape better than the cordura. It could be that the ballisic material is on the flap only so there's no difference. Its times like this I wish I was closer to Seattle instead of as far away as one can get and stay in the country.

My thanks to everyone for the great comments and to darbs for the photos. I don't know about you all but I find pictures to be VERY useful.

Take care,
    Moose

Hi moose! I have an Indigo/Plum Imago in Cordura, and for a while I had a Steel Ballistic Imago as well. I ended up selling it on eBay because I couldn't fall in love with the color. BUT in the time I had it, I did note that the Ballistic nylon definitely offered more structure to the bag than did the Cordura. I can't recall if it actually stood up on its own, but it was significantly less slouchy than my Cordura version. Which I still have, and love, though I tend to carry either my Swift, Little Swift, or Co-Pilot more often these days.

Let me put in yet another vote for the Swift, especially if A. You want something that will stand up on its own, and; B. You want to carry everything you mentioned, plus a pair of loafers. The Swift is amazing: truly a TARDIS or Hermione bag, whichever fantasy series you prefer. The Swift will swallow an astonishing amount of stuff, and the two clear zipper pockets on the top are perhaps my favorite part of the bag. I love that I can see what's in them, but they also hold a tremendous amount as well. This is where I put my iPhone, both for easy access and because the zippered plastic pocket protects it in case of rain. That is my main concern with the open nature of the Swift, that things can get wet in the rain, but surprisingly, I haven't found that to be a big issue in actual use. I have everything stashed in the two pockets, or in Organizer Pouches and a 3D Clear Organizer Cube, so everything is protected yet easy to get to. In addition, you could use Key Straps to attach these pouches and 3DCOC to the for different O-rings in the Swift for an additional layer of security.

The Swift is big, however; I do carry it when I make day trips out of town. But for my EDC, I use a Little Swift. What I love is how quickly I can get to my wallet or checkbook when I'm the grocery or at the doctor's office or wherever. And yet once again, everything is safely stashed away and organized.

Hope this helps you, although I always decide at the end that what I need is one of every TB bag!

kws
    I have the cardinal\hemp in ballistic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0