Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bag for 10 days in London/Dublin

Bag for 10 days in London/Dublin

Hi all! I'm looking to buy my first ever Tom Bihn bags & I hope you guys can help me figure out the best combo. I'm heading to London/Dublin the first two weeks in October. I was going to get the WF + the Ego as my personal item, and possibly the MCB for when i arrive (I am sure to go nuts in Topshop & the WF won't be nearly big enough on it's own).This will do fine EXCEPT: I'm flying Ryanair to Dublin. This means I'd have to check a bag. It looks like the Aeronaut is too big for Ryanair carry on, and the Tristar might be pushing it as well. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated (I've been perusing these forums for days, and I'm sure someone out there can give me some tips!). Thanks!

KmK
    Hi... If you are taking an MCB to use as a daily bag, then just flatten it and put it in with your clothes in your WF OR use it as a large organizer and put it in the main compartment of the Ego and rearrange your things when you arrive. If you aren't taking a lot of technology with you, you can pack A Lot of items in the Ego! I just returned from a month's travel and used the SuperEgo this way. I could pack for 4-5 days with that bag alone...and include clothing as well as book, notebooks, EDC items, etc. The SE is a bit larger, but the layout is the same and the E is still generously spacious...to accommodate finds and treasures. Then coming back, just flatten the MCB again...It would likely fit in the back pocket of the E.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by pegolas View Post
    Hi all! I'm looking to buy my first ever Tom Bihn bags & I hope you guys can help me figure out the best combo. I'm heading to London/Dublin the first two weeks in October. I was going to get the WF + the Ego as my personal item, and possibly the MCB for when i arrive (I am sure to go nuts in Topshop & the WF won't be nearly big enough on it's own).This will do fine EXCEPT: I'm flying Ryanair to Dublin. This means I'd have to check a bag. It looks like the Aeronaut is too big for Ryanair carry on, and the Tristar might be pushing it as well. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated (I've been perusing these forums for days, and I'm sure someone out there can give me some tips!). Thanks!

Oh yaaay! My post finally got approved! Thanks so much for your response.

I considered the SE, but thought it might be a bit too big for my hobbit-sized body. I think I can cram one of my 15" packing folders into the Ego for when I'm separated from my main bag (just in case). I like the cafebags because they look like they'll pack easily - I also like the idea of using it as a cube!! Not taking much in the way of tech items - just my iPad, a small camera, and my cell phone.

I considered the TS instead of the WF, since I'll have to check it anyway on Ryanair, but I like the WF because it won't ALLOW me to overpack to the point where it's too heavy to carry. I took a Timbuk2 Wingman + a travel tote the last time I tried the carry on route, and it ended up being too heavy (I had to run through Toronto's airport, then lug it onto the train, and then carry it for the 15 minute walk from Paddington - it just became too much). My only concern is that the probability of rain in October is high, plus the weather could fluctuate temperature, and I might end up with more crap than I can fit into the smaller bag. I just don't know!!!

I just want to order something RIGHT NOW and I can't decide - every time I go through the threads & see other people's bags, I want that one. Lol. The only thing I've truly ruled out is the Aeronaut, because I know for sure I'd back way to much in that mofo.

Here's a thought.....have you considered packing less?

Rain?--take a light travel umbrella.

Weather changes?--the key is layering, not extra stuff "just in case."

Take two items--one main bag, and one personal item that will do double duty as your day bag when out and about. The tendency for most people is to fill up what they have. As an example, an Aeronaut will easily fit into Ryanair's sizers IF you don't pack it to the gills. (I have a 20" sizer at home--don't ask--and I've fit my Aeronaut into that prior to a trip. )

Lastly, if you haven't purchased your ticket to Dublin yet, check out Aer Lingus. After all the extra charges Ryanair loves to add, Aer Lingus' final fares are usually competitive with Ryanair. And Aer Lingus has more lenient carry on rules.
    Last edited by Frank II; 07-17-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I would also ask yourself if the Synapse might be your friend?

It will hold and more important maybe,organize a surprising amount of stuff and I would think is more likely to be allowed on a plane where size is in question too?

Add to that the always present BackPack carry method and it seems a perfect every day carry and distance airport running bag as well.

I have and love the S.E. but it can quickly become too heavy and bulky for Airport carry and I am not small.

Just another idea/confusion?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    (I have a 20" sizer at home--don't ask--and I've fit my Aeronaut into that prior to a trip. )
    Frank,

You realize that this just makes me want the story even more on this don't you?

Jeffmac is right. You're like Darcy with your teasing.

Have to second Ed on the Synapse suggestion, and if you go with the Dyneema version it is lighter and squishes smaller in the other piece of luggage.

I have a TS and I can overpack it. When I took it for an 8 day trip it was right at 21 pounds. Even with backpack straps (and the TB ones work better than most) that is a lot of weight to carry for an extended period.

I also have to agree with Frank (although, I am guilty of not following that advice sometimes!) and packing less is preferred. If you did go with the TS, and you picked up stuff along the way you could stuff it in there. Or if you started with the WF and a marsupial bag (MCB or synapse) inside of it you could transition to two bags on the way home...

I am not helping at all am I?

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Jeffmac is right. You're like Darcy with your teasing.
    No one is like Darcy. She's in a league all her own!!!!!

My secret:

http://www.theupsstore.com/logistics...gage-logistics

The Luggage Box. The smaller one, of course. The dimensions given are the outside measurements. The internal ones are slightly less. (20.5 x 14 x 9)

If I can close the box with my bag inside, I know I should be okay on most airlines. (Although I need to have some extra room with the smaller measurement for non-U.S. airlines.)

Since the box has to be put together, one might also draw a line where the 8" limit would be to help. And yes, I bought this box specifically to act as a sizer and not to actually ship anything. I had to try six UPS stores near me before I found one.

Yes, I know, I'm too into this stuff. I think I need a 12 step program--Travel Goods Anonymous.
    Last edited by Frank II; 07-17-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    moriond likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Thanks for the suggestions. The ryanair ticket is the ONLY one I haven't purchased yet, so I'll def look into Aer Lingus.

I actually did think about getting the TS, and leaving the middle section empty so that I could add my London finds on my return. I gravitated toward the WF, because it's smaller and compact (LIKE ME!) and it only weighs like 2 1/2 lbs. I saw someone post a packing list for the TS and it was like 19lbs for what didn't seem to be that much packed inside. That's too heavy for me for this particular journey.

I also like the Synapse idea, but plan to carry the WF on my back, so I wanted something with a shoulder strap that I could change back and forth. Needless to say, I am still confused. I think I'm just gonna order the WF, see how much I can get into it, and go from there. Or maybe I'll get the Tristar.

Or maybe I should just call customer service, give them my cc#, tell them to send what they think is appropriate, and then be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks everybody!

More on your flights as London has a lot of little quirks:

1) Also check out British Airways
    2) Look at FINAL cost not just "the fare."
    3) Consider the cost of getting to the airport. It costs more to get to the more outerlying airports than Heathrow or Gatwick.
    4) Consider the extra cost if you have to check a bag over being able to carry it on. With Ryanair you'll have to check a bag. You should be able to carry-on with the other two.

So, you see, just going by fare alone is misleading.

If you can manage Aer Lingus, you'll be much happier. The cabin comforts are way better than what you'd get on RyanAir, and I believe they still give you gin, even in economy. Oh, and as the others have said, their baggage restrictions are looser.

Okay, on to the packing. I think that if you have access to laundry facilities, you could definitely manage an October trip to your chosen locations with a Western Flyer. You haven't said what activities you'll be doing, but since it's London and Dublin and not Devonshire and Wicklow, I'm assuming that you will be living a blissful urban existence that includes museums, pubs, sightseeing and perhaps some nightlife. For this sort of travel, it's important to look smart, but that doesn't have to be a big deal. The most vital thing is waterproof footwear in some sort of dark color (OK, black). You can manage a lot when your feet are dry. In terms of clothing, Frank is right. Layer. And if you're in doubt, don't pack it, since you were planning on shopping over there anyway.

What I'd try to do is fit all your clothes into a large WF packing cube in the main compartment, and to pack an empty MCB in the main compartment as well. Put your toiletries in one section of the front compartment, and all your electronics and MCB crap in the other section (maybe in a cube so you can just lift it all out for easy under-seat access). If you must have an extra pair of shoes, choose flat ones, wrap them in a plastic bag, and put them in the MCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    If you can manage Aer Lingus, you'll be much happier. The cabin comforts are way better than what you'd get on RyanAir, and I believe they still give you gin, even in economy. Oh, and as the others have said, their baggage restrictions are looser.

Okay, on to the packing. I think that if you have access to laundry facilities, you could definitely manage an October trip to your chosen locations with a Western Flyer. You haven't said what activities you'll be doing, but since it's London and Dublin and not Devonshire and Wicklow, I'm assuming that you will be living a blissful urban existence that includes museums, pubs, sightseeing and perhaps some nightlife. For this sort of travel, it's important to look smart, but that doesn't have to be a big deal. The most vital thing is waterproof footwear in some sort of dark color (OK, black). You can manage a lot when your feet are dry. In terms of clothing, Frank is right. Layer. And if you're in doubt, don't pack it, since you were planning on shopping over there anyway.

What I'd try to do is fit all your clothes into a large WF packing cube in the main compartment, and to pack an empty MCB in the main compartment as well. Put your toiletries in one section of the front compartment, and all your electronics and MCB crap in the other section (maybe in a cube so you can just lift it all out for easy under-seat access). If you must have an extra pair of shoes, choose flat ones, wrap them in a plastic bag, and put them in the MCB.
    Badger, after reading your packing list (at a mere 12lbs) for several weeks, I really think I can do this! My packing list will vary from yours (an extra pair of pants + a spare pair of shoes), but my camera is pocket-sized, so it kind of balances out. I think I'm going to go with the Tri-Star, so that I'll have the extra middle section as a buffer in case I go crazy with my shopping. Of course, I'm in love with the blue (Indigo?) that appears to no longer be an option.

Thanks everybody for the assistance! I can't wait to get me some new bags (just gotta wait for my bonus pay which comes tomorrow!).

Hi pegolas,
    I second and third the suggestion to fly Aer Lingus. I've taken three trips with them in the last few months - DUB-GVA-DUB and LHR-DUB. My two flights into Dublin were full. As we were waiting, they made numerous announcements about the flights being full and only accepting one carry-on bag. On both flights I had a similar set up set up to you - Tri-star-sized bag + small briefcase. After panicking a bit, and looking around at others at the gate, I realised that their main concern was with people bringing rolling luggage that didn't fit in the sizer as well as two or three other bags eg backpacks. At the gate I transferred as much as I could into the larger bag so the briefcase didn't look too bulky, but to be honest they didn't even look twice as I boarded.

Also, you mentioned the rain in your post. I've bought myself a Sea to Summit pack cover that fits over my WF. It wasn't expensive - maybe $25? - and it packs up really small. I find that it, plus the umbrella, is a good enough combo for city-based travel.

Trust us -- I think you should be just fine with your Western Flyer and not use the Ego.

I don't remember if Ryanair will let you take a Western Flyer *AND* a Medium Cafe Bag both. If they do, you're all set. If not, put the contents you plan to normally carry in your MCB throughout the inside of your WF (for example, use the WF's front pockets). Here's another secret. Say you decide to get the backpack version. The entire back panel that zips up and hides your backpack straps? That serves as another huge hideaway pocket -- so stash your MCB contents in there. If you have some room, you might even be able to stuff the MCB in there with stuff in there. Then just carry the WF with a shoulder strap when you get on the plane!

Your other friend to consider is a ScottEVest. You can stuff a lot of your everyday carryables into your pockets when you get on the plane.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0