Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bag for 10 days in London/Dublin

I third (or fifth) the western flyer. I have done 21/2 weeks in spain with only the wf and still had enuf space for purchases. It is ver comfy as a backpack. You should be able to pack for 10 days at under 15 lb easily. Read the forums for suggestions for clothes and lightweight tech stuff such as chargers. I bought a tristar but found it too big and too easy to overpack so i gave it to my sil who is taller and more athletic.

Pegolas, I just did 15 days in and around London on business with an Aeronaut and Brainbag during the second half of June. I overpacked a bit, but was able to do it with a bit of hotel room washing in the evenings. Most of my clothes were casual business-button-down shirts, khakis and other neutral colored pants-so I was not able to go the lightest as I would on vacation. I also lugged a work computer and a personal netbook, so the Brainbag was very handy. And the weather ranged from warm to very cool and rainy, requiring a light shell with a sweater at times.

The combination was a bit unwieldy at times running through Madrid airport for a connection, but I could probably run faster than with a roller suitcase. It was useful for the several train connections in the UK. Just pop it on the shoulders and hoist it up on the overhead rack. Easier to move in the aisles that with a roller suitcase.

October weather is a bit dicey there, as you probably know. It can be very damp and cool, so you need your layers. One option would be to pack the Aeronaut and put it inside a simple medium duffle bag as a check-in. REI has good ones. You only need to lock one zipper. When you get there, you can one bag it while touring around, putting the duffle bag inside the Aeronaut.

Too many people get hung up on the one-bag concept. I've learned not to sweat it too much for long trips and business travel; the key is being agile when you get on the ground. I've only had one suitcase delayed, but I had enough in a carry on to survive a couple of days without it.

I'm going carry-on only. I'm keeping my almost-new convertible (18"x13"x8") and taking my Smart Alec as my personal item (it needs to hurry up and get here!

I just need to make sure to be very particular about what needs to go in my bag this time. I don't want to have to wait for my luggage in Heathrow! I'm better prepared this time, so I'm confident my bag won't be as heavy as the last time I did carry-on only.

Yay! Good for you! I think you will find that you really didnt need all that extra stuff and it is such a lovely feeling to walk off the plane and out of the airport while everyone else waits for their bag.

Ireland has an excellent public transportation system and to get the best use of it you will benefit from packing light and using a bag you can use as a backpack. Tom Bihn has several that will work. I also support the nods for Aer Lingus. To me they represent one of the last holdouts from the golden age of flying. Better comforts, food, and attitudes. It's not like flying in a greyhound bus as most air travel has become.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0