Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

any bag suggestions for sub saharan africa?

I am thinking about taking a 7-10 day trip to the African continent. I have never been in this part of the world and it is on my bucket list.

It seems like there are several world travelers here. I was wondering what bag you carry to such destinations. I would like to stay to one bag and have a tristar and what I carry as a tourist would easily fit with room to spare; but i am interested in what others found convenient.

Besides what I wear I would pack 2 sets of underwear, 1 short and one long sleeve t-shirt; 2 long sleeve shirts, a pair of flat shoes and light jacket and hat. 311 and pack towel; plus a netbook, cell phone and power cords for them; some otc meds and my TB travel tray. Any thoughts from your experience travelling outside of the US and Europe?

Which countries?

If you supply specifics -- which countries and cities you are going to, whether you will be camping, on safari, in urban areas with hotels, on a guided tour...
    I can share ideas.

I believe I will be in the rift valley of Kenya around Eldoret. This is an assessment trip to better understand the agriculture in the area. So a combination of walking, meetings and perhaps some free time. I will be hosted by local folks so I do not anticipate outright camping, I do not know if I will sleep in the same place every night which is why I want to maximize portability.

HI!
    First, I'm very jealous! I've never been there, but I have visited Moshi in neighboring Tanzania. I am hardly an expert but here is my own highly biased advice:

You may find the houses nicer than you expect. I stayed with a friend there who was not particularly well-to-do, but her house in a small village had all the comforts I was used to. The only difference I have noticed in most African countries is that electricity usually comes and goes, so little keychain flashlights (I usually travel with two) can be handy if you want to read while the power is out.
    If you are staying with people little gifts are a good idea, and candy or other treats for kids, even at the expense of traveling light. When I visited Tanzania I was embarrassed by how generous people were and wished I had brought more gifts.

You probably won't find most adults wearing shorts. Which you may already know.
    Some type of camera, even it is part of your phone, is also a good idea, and having pics of your own family for showing is a great conversation starter.
    Obviously, check that all your electronics convert to 220 (most do), and bring an adaptor for the wall sockets. I use these lately which worked fine on my last trip to Nigeria:
    Amazon.com: Insten Universal World Wide Travel Charger Adapter Plug, White - by eForCity: Electronics

The various other things I take on my Africa trips, which you may want to consider: (travel towel and TB tray, as you already have on your list), some non-meltable food bars, insect repellant, Cipro, Immodium, tylenol, sleeping pills in case of jetlag, sunscreen, hand-wipes and hand sanitizer, tiny packets of laundry soap for doing my clothes if needed, instant coffee. But then I am an addict.
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-12-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0