Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    71

    Best fit for the Sony Vaio Z series? (13" Wide x 8.27" D by 0.66" thick)?

    Hey there folks...

    I was looking for a Vertical Brain Cell or Horizonal Cache that would fit the above dimensions.
    I couldn't find anything exact, although the 6Z Cache (13" 9.1" 1.1") or the 6Z Vertical Brain Cell seem the closest.

    Not sure how an internal dimension of *exactly* 13" would match a laptop exactly that size. Also, since it's 0.66" thick, 1.1" means it'll knock around a little. Perhaps a Cache inside of a Brain Cell?

    Anyone have a suggestion for best fit for this l'il guy?

    - Tim

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    71
    Anyone? Any staff member, perhaps, know if any of the Brain Cells are even close to that thickness, so that the fit would be snug?

    - Tim

  3. #3
    I work at TOM BIHN Katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    Hey there folks...

    I was looking for a Vertical Brain Cell or Horizonal Cache that would fit the above dimensions.
    I couldn't find anything exact, although the 6Z Cache (13" 9.1" 1.1") or the 6Z Vertical Brain Cell seem the closest.

    Not sure how an internal dimension of *exactly* 13" would match a laptop exactly that size. Also, since it's 0.66" thick, 1.1" means it'll knock around a little. Perhaps a Cache inside of a Brain Cell?

    Anyone have a suggestion for best fit for this l'il guy?

    - Tim

    Hi Tim!

    The Size 6X Horizontal Brain Cell will provide a better fit as it's considerably thinner than the 6Z. Are you trying to fit the Brain Cell or Cache into a specific bag?
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Hi Tim!

    The Size 6X Horizontal Brain Cell will provide a better fit as it's considerably thinner than the 6Z. Are you trying to fit the Brain Cell or Cache into a specific bag?
    Thanks for the reply, Katy!

    The 6X is 12.9 9.0 1.1 inches, it says; since this laptop is a full 13" wide, won't that be a little too wide for it?

    I have a Brain Bag - does the 6X fit into that? I also was looking at the Cache, and didn't see one that was an ideal fit either. Whatever I get, I'm going to have around a half-inch of play on either side because one that can hold it's HxW dimensions is at smallest 1.1 inches thick.

    Unfortunately, this laptop has an unusual size; it's pretty new, so there's not a lot that fits it right.

    I'll take another look at the various sizes and see if something could work. But what do you think about a 13"w computer in a 12.9"w Brain Cell?

    - Tim

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Broomfield, CO
    Posts
    62
    I have a Sony Vaio VPC-Z1 and I carry it in a 6Z cache. there is a little room but it isn't swamped in there. It is also handy for fitting in with an extended battery.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by thax View Post
    I have a Sony Vaio VPC-Z1 and I carry it in a 6Z cache. there is a little room but it isn't swamped in there. It is also handy for fitting in with an extended battery.
    Thanks for the input - I think the Z3 is yet-slimmer. In the end, I've decided to get a sleeve made by a company that makes custom-ish sleeves (they've got every dimension available, to the 1/2 inch); then I'll put THAT in a Brain Cell that fits the sleeve, which will be a bit snugger.

    - Tim

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    71
    Well, I forgot that I already owned a 6Z, and tried it out, and it fits decently. The 6X would also probably work and be a bit snugger, but I like the vertical orientation of the 6Z, and the laptop fits snug enough from side to side that it doesn't bounce around much that I can see.

    So, all is well. :-)

    Funny how much Tom Bihn gear I've bought, that I don't even remember what I own. :-)

    I don't know if it is forbidden to mention other bag-makers here, but I'll do it and you can whack me on the nose if I shouldn't be (and I'll edit my posting to remove it); when I was looking for a sleeve for my laptop, and saw that none of the Tom Bihn sleeves fit well, I looked online for 'custom' sleeves, and found these folks here in San Francisco:

    WaterField Design

    They make a range of stuff, but one of them is a laptop sleeve that's available in every increment of 1/2 inch in both dimensions, so you're bound to find an exact fit with one if you can't find one with in the Tom Bihn line. I was already committed to trying to use the Brain Cell, since I have a Brain Bag and it's the most useful bag I own. :-)

    - Tim


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0