Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dlg

A "backwards" simple strap?

I just noticed something about the simple strap on my ristretto - the buckle seems "backwards" to me... I will try to explain, and maybe someone can tell me if this is normal, or if I got a funny one.

In my head there's two things that have a direction on a strap - on one end the material is just doubled over and stitched down. This is the fixed end, and there's a little "TB" tag on it. This is pretty clear to me - you want the short end of the strap and the tag to face inwards.

On the other end, the "floating" end, there's a plastic buckle that makes the length of the strap adjustable. On one side, the bulge of the buckle sticks out, you see a bar of plastic, a bit of the strap and then another bar of plastic. On the other side, you don't see plastic but there's a bit of a gap in the strap. To me, you'd want the bulge (bar/strap/bar) side sticking out, so it's not pushing into your back. This is how I've always seen it, but that's not how my strap is oriented.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Do I need to attach pictures?

If it makes sense, is this normal for Bihn bags? Thanks!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Could you please post a picture of what you are describing?
    I really, really like TB Bags!

dlg
    That is probably a good idea :]
    Of course I have no idea how to upload a file to the forums from my iPad, so here is a Dropbox link. http://db.tt/YTnPZjBf

Basically, I wonder if the plastic buckle on the left should face the other way.

Looks fine to me. Guess I really don't understand why it would matter amyway....
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

dlg
    I found the buckle digging into my back when i shortened the strap and wore it cross-body. Then it occurred to me that it seemed backwards compared to other straps I had used.

hmm. It could be a matter of right shoulder/left shoulder. I wore messenger bags on my right shoulder, and on certain bags, unless you could switch the strap, the buckle would be backwards.

dlg
    Can someone humor me and post a similar photo of their simple strap?

Quote Originally Posted by dlg View Post
    That is probably a good idea :]
    Of course I have no idea how to upload a file to the forums from my iPad, so here is a Dropbox link. http://db.tt/YTnPZjBf

Basically, I wonder if the plastic buckle on the left should face the other way.
    It looks like the pad on your shoulder strap got twisted . I do this sometimes with my bags while doing gymnastics or something (really.. I'm not sure HOW I do it). You can rotate the strap back to its original position by holding the webbing still and twisting the shoulder pad around. Does this make ANY sense? I can also walk you through it over the phone .
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

dlg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    It looks like the pad on your shoulder strap got twisted . I do this sometimes with my bags while doing gymnastics or something (really.. I'm not sure HOW I do it). You can rotate the strap back to its original position by holding the webbing still and twisting the shoulder pad around. Does this make ANY sense? I can also walk you through it over the phone .
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's the case. I shone a flashlight through the pad, and the strap does not appear twisted...

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's the case. I shone a flashlight through the pad, and the strap does not appear twisted...
    It does appear flat at the moment. Perhaps at some point while taking the strap on and off it twisted and rotated the pad on the shoulder strap. I've done this a few times without even noticing .

dlg
    It does appear flat at the moment. Perhaps at some point while taking the strap on and off it twisted and rotated the pad on the shoulder strap. I've done this a few times without even noticing .
    So I didn't consider this, and thought the swivels at the end would take care of it. I took the strap off, laid everything out flat, and reattached... Same thing. Can anybody take a picture of their strap in a similar pose?

So I didn't consider this, and thought the swivels at the end would take care of it. I took the strap off, laid everything out flat, and reattached... Same thing. Can anybody take a picture of their strap in a similar pose?
    I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.. The shoulder pad, which is able to move freely, has somehow rotated itself around the webbing and is now situated on the opposite side of what it should be.

dlg
    I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.. The shoulder pad, which is able to move freely, has somehow rotated itself around the webbing and is now situated on the opposite side of what it should be.
    But then on the "fixed" end the folded-over end of the strap and the little "TB" tag would be facing outwards. While that's a nice bit of advertizing <grin> the aesthetics don't seem quite right.

Has the Simple Strap been redesigned?

Mine are just like the one on the website with the grippy and smooth plastic shoulder add on.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I can't post the pic from dropbox upon looking at it dlg, on all of my TB straps that have that tab, it goes to the outside and is meant to be a small advertisement, as does the bulk of the slider.
    The pad/grip goes to the smooth side. I agree with Katy, the pad appears to be twisted to the wrong side of the strap in your pic.

but I took a pic of my son's Ristretto strap, he's only 9 so the slider is under the padding, but it faces up away from the smooth underside of the strap, the label and folded over portion faces away from the body.

Last edited by dorayme; 05-23-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: grammar, punctuation, formatting the picture, rushing
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0