Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By misterN

Thread: Size of Camera I/O

Size of Camera I/O

I love what I've seen of the Camera I/O, but I'm having a hard time getting a sense of the size of the bag. Looking at the videos, it seems like it would be larger than what I need, but looking at the dimensions from leviathan's post here (Camera I-O and Tripod-Lighting Kit Quivers), it seems a little larger, but not overly so.

What I have is a Canon EOS 60D, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 lens, the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens, and a Speedlite 430EX Flash.

Any thoughts on whether or not the Camera I/O will be too big for my needs?

Alright. I'm going to try to help you out with a bunch of photos of my system in the Camera I/O

First, below is a picture of my Camera Insert fully loaded with everything that I am currently carrying. This goes inside of my everyday carrying bag (Super Ego).

Here is another picture without the ruler and SB-600 flash.

The next three photographs are of my camera, with a ruler to help give an indication to how large my D7000 is (short of pro/full-frame, is pretty big.) When my camera is in there, with the quick release tripod plate, it bulges out ever so slightly.

Here are the pictures of my other lenses and devices that are stored inside of the Camera I/O

Lastly, here is EVERYTHING that is in my Camera Insert. With the built in organizers, I have space at the bottom of the bag to hold my miscellanies things that I don't need on a consistant basis.

I do apologize for the quality of some of the photographs. Most of them were taken with my cell phone, and then further shrunk down to help with uploading over my phones wifi hotspot. I hope this helps you get an idea of what you can fit into the Camera I/O. If you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Edit: I guess I didn't answer your question. I'm not a 100% certain on the size of your lenses, but I'm assuming they're of the smaller, consumer variety. The camera insert may be a tad bit big for your camera system. At first I thought mine was a bit big--but the more I use it, the happier I am.
    Last edited by misterN; 05-04-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Darcy, ncb4 and larryb like this.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Those photos are awesome and incredibly useful, misterN. Thank you. (Is it OK if I add them to our Camera I-O Flickr set?)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by mortlach View Post
    I love what I've seen of the Camera I/O, but I'm having a hard time getting a sense of the size of the bag. Looking at the videos, it seems like it would be larger than what I need, but looking at the dimensions from leviathan's post here (Camera I-O and Tripod-Lighting Kit Quivers), it seems a little larger, but not overly so.

What I have is a Canon EOS 60D, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 lens, the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens, and a Speedlite 430EX Flash.

Any thoughts on whether or not the Camera I/O will be too big for my needs?
    You will have some extra space, but the big question is. Is that the only gear you plan on carrying in your camera bag long term. If you add in some spare memory cards, memory card reader, lens cleaning kit, something like a hoodman loop, spare battery, batter charger, etc. You can easily take up all of the extra space you may have. If you don't need all the accessories then then just consider any changes / additions to you set. The Camera I/O should handle what you have and probably a couple more lenses if you go for small ones, extra flash, or some big lenses if you ever replace one of yours with something like a 70 - 200 f2.8. In my experience a camera bag can never hold enough stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Those photos are awesome and incredibly useful, misterN. Thank you. (Is it OK if I add them to our Camera I-O Flickr set?)
    Of course it is =)

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

This was extremely helpful. It looks like my three lenses are about the same size as the three you have, and my camera body looks similar in size to yours as well. I think I see a Camera I-O bag in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by mortlach View Post
    This was extremely helpful. It looks like my three lenses are about the same size as the three you have, and my camera body looks similar in size to yours as well. I think I see a Camera I-O bag in my future.
    I am glad to be of service.

Quote Originally Posted by misterN View Post
    First, below is a picture of my Camera Insert fully loaded with everything that I am currently carrying. This goes inside of my everyday carrying bag (Super Ego).
    I'd be interested in seeing a couple of pics of the insert actually in the S.Ego. The flickr group seems to have only brainbag pics with the insert (or the insert naked)

(apologies if you've already posted them elsewhere)
    List under construction ....

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing a couple of pics of the insert actually in the S.Ego. The flickr group seems to have only brainbag pics with the insert (or the insert naked)

(apologies if you've already posted them elsewhere)
    I think we're all waiting for some great photos from misterN, but in the meantime, here's photos of the Super Ego and Ego with the Camera I-O clipped inside.

Name:  superegocameraioforum.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  superegoforum2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  86.1 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks Darcy!
    List under construction ....

My Camera I/O arrived yesterday and it holds all of my equipment with a little room to spare. Thanks for all the help everyone!