Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Brain Bag and Packing Cubes

Brain Bag and Packing Cubes

I am interested in knowing if those who use a Brain Bag for travel also use Packing Cubes for non-electronics. If you do use packing cubes with your Brain Bag, what size, what type? Thanks for your help.

I've only used my brain bag a couple of times, and always as a suitcase replacement on a casual car trip. I use a large western flyer packing cube for my clothes in the back compartment, with other various smaller packing cubes (eagle creek assortment) for socks, underwear, camera, snacks and other bits of stuff in the other compartment. When packed to the gills,it turns into a huge cube that is a challenge for me to then wear as a backpack, but wow, this bag can hold a lot! That said, I think the WF large packing cube fits really well.

I do what dgrls does. Western Flyer. It leaves a little extra room at the top for more stuff.

The Brain Bag holds in each large compartment:
    1 Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) or 2 Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (one on top of the other) or 4 Clear Quarter Packing Cube ( 2 at the bottom and 2 on top of them).

I believe it could fit 12 3D Clear Organizer Cube (for people with extended cosmetics wardrobes and/or carrying samples)

A Stuff Sack filled with some squishy things can be squeezed in on top of any of those.

A Kit fits in each side pockets and a couple of Mini Pouches in the top front pocket.

The front strap is perfect for a Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle.

I have not tested this, yet, but I believe a Tall Yarn Stuff Sack fit lengthwise (perfect for shoes).

One side pockets can hold a pair of thin slippers or one shoe size 39 Euro, 8 1/2 U.S, no heels.

Thank you backpack, very helpful. Also, thanks to tCook and dgrls. All very helpful information for my purchase. Amazing what the Brain Bag can hold.

I forgot ... I put one women's 8 size Birkenstock in each side pocket before ... haha. And yes, you can pack an unwieldy amount of stuff in that backpack! I managed to make it nearly as heavy as an Aeronaut, but the two compartments are great for a little more organization.

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    I forgot ... I put one women's 8 size Birkenstock in each side pocket before ... haha. And yes, you can pack an unwieldy amount of stuff in that backpack! I managed to make it nearly as heavy as an Aeronaut, but the two compartments are great for a little more organization.
    I second that. It enables the "dump things as you think of them" also known as frazzled packing, to keep a semblance of order.

Using the Packing Cube enable easy organization of different ensembles, a Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) holds easily an entire light weight dress wardrobe and accessories in the lower pocket.

A dress jacket, properly folded also fits into the Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut), I know that a light wool blend Medium and a poly blend 3x fit.
    I don't know about an heavy wool or corduroy jacket, mostly because they are very hard to fold.

Any of the Dynema accessories I have mentioned in my previous post make for enjoyable traveling, they can be color coded in various Dynema colors or one can use all Steel with Color Key Straps.
    tCook likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0