Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Help me decide - Cafe bag or Imago?

Ok, no turning back now... I have placed my order! I went with Navy/Cayenne LCB w/Absolute strap. Thanks to everyone that gave me their feedback, I really appreciate it!

While I am eagerly waiting for my new bag to arrive, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the front zipper pocket dimensions are?

Oh, I love the Cayenne color! You should check out Maverick's pics and videos because he has one that same color. Can't wait to see how you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
    Ok, no turning back now... I have placed my order! I went with Navy/Cayenne LCB w/Absolute strap. Thanks to everyone that gave me their feedback, I really appreciate it!

While I am eagerly waiting for my new bag to arrive, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the front zipper pocket dimensions are?
    Ooooh! Can't wait to hear how it works for you!

The front zippered pocket dimensions are approximately 9.5 h x 11.25 w.

HTH!
    JD78 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    Ooooh! Can't wait to hear how it works for you!

The front zippered pocket dimensions are approximately 9.5 h x 11.25 w.

HTH!
    Thanks! I just wanted to make sure my GRID-IT will fit in the front pocket or if I was going to have to get a different size.

Oh, how do you like your grid-it? I've seen some reviews of them, but never anybody that actually has one. What do you keep in it and what size is it?

<topic hijack>

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    Oh, how do you like your grid-it? I've seen some reviews of them, but never anybody that actually has one. What do you keep in it and what size is it?

<topic hijack>
    I think mine's about 11"x6" or something like that. I only keep cords and adapters for the gear I carry (i.e. Phone, DVD player, 3DS, Vita, and tablet when I had one). I see pics of some people using it for their phones, hard drives, and other larger objects, but I just never used it like that.

Good to know, thanks!

JLE
    Well, recently I made a huge mistake. I bought a messenger bag. Not from TB. Yes, I should have known better...

At first I thought it was pretty cool - navy, clean lines, separate compartment for laptop, comfortable strap, and it appeared to have great carrying capacity. But I have just taken it on a short trip (along with my Tri-Star) and it just does not compare in functionality to a TB bag! It has a loose cotton lining that gets in the way when I try to get things in and out of the main compartment and it doesn't hold nearly as much as I think it should for its dimensions. Everything sinks unreachably to the bottom of the main compartment and it is unnecessarily bulky and heavy when packed. Plus the padding in the laptop section is, somehow, not where I think it should be and it's really bulky (and I won't need it when my Cache arrives). All in all, it's a bit of a Fail. Clearly I have been spoilt by the organisational power of my Synapse and other TB bags!

So now I am considering a TB messenger and like JD78 I am tossing up between the LCB (linen/steel) and the Imago (Cardinal/hemp/steel). I have an Aeronaut and a WF on order, both in Cardinal/Steel, and the Imago would be a great companion bag for either. And I saw a photo of Linen somewhere and really loved it. So the colours self-select for each bag.

Now, I could ask lots of questions here and spend hours searching the forums for comments, reviews and pics of the bags next to other bags, or I could just do what we all know I am probably going to do - get them both! I will tell myself that I can send one back, but I am pretty sure I won't do that either....

I thought about ordering both, but I really only need the one bag.

I figured I could not go wrong with either one and went with the color combo I liked the most. I'm really curious about seeing the Cayenne color in person. I've seen several pics, but the shade appears to differ from one pic to the next. I guess I will find out tonight!

I am really considering getting a small cafe bag for the wife to use as a purse, and probably should have for our upcoming trip. I'm curious to see if it would end up replacing her Coach stuff.

Cayenne is amazing! Everybody calls it orange, but to me it is much more red. It is almost like the red color leaves change to in the fall. Definitely like a rust red. I have to pouches and a key strap in that color and love it.

I happen to go home today for lunch to take care of my dog and was surprised to find my LCB waiting for me. I knew it was coming today, but the surprise was that UPS doesn't usually deliver to my neighborhood until after 5PM. The Cayenne color is a perfect shade of red for me. The pictures I kept seeing made it look like a redish-orange which I wasn't sure about, but to me it's definitely a solid red color, with maybe a hint of orange. Whatever it is, it confirmed that I made the right decision!

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  910.5 KB
    ncb4 and TavaPeak like this.

JLE
    Unsurprisingly, I ordered both an Imago and a LCB and they arrived today and ... I'm not sure which I prefer!

Colour - definitely the LCB. Definitely. It is Linen/Steel. The Linen colour is FABULOUS, probably my favorite of all the colours I have seen in real life. It has a slightly green undertone, and I find it very cool and understated. Please Tom, can we have it in ballistic as well? Or at least, if only in cordura, in every bag that comes in cordura? Ballistic in Linen in the travel bags would probably send me on a renewed buying spree around the Trifecta (A, TS, WF)! I know, somewhere someone is saying it would show the dirt, but you know what? That wouldn't deter me for a second! I'm not going to check these bags in, after all. The Imago, by contrast, is Cardinal/Hemp/Steel. I am not keen on the hemp. Now if that had been Linen instead, it would have been perfect. In fact, if the Imago were Linen/Linen/Steel, it would be the overall winner.

Size - probably the Imago but they seem to have very similar carrying capacity, at least based on my quick test pack. Imago slightly bigger but doesn't look it when worn cross body (plus).

Internal layout - Imago. Those larger interior pockets are more useful to me than the array of smaller ones in the LCB. Interestingly, my iPad goes into the LCB, in its sleeve (not TB and not especially slim in design), both vertically and horizontally.

External layout - line ball, but possibly the Imago because of the usefulness of the open and zipped pockets under the front flap. IPhone in the zipped pocket, boarding pass in the open pocket, just where I want it to be.

Overall visual - again, line ball. I like clean lines so the LCB has the edge on that score, but I slightly prefer the horizontal alignment of the Imago over the vertical alignment of the LCB. These are the sportiest, most urban-looking EDCs I have ever bought, so they are a big departure from my usual style. But I plan on using them mostly for travel. Need to let this one percolate.

Overall winner - it would be the Imago if it were Linen/Linen/Steel. But it's not, so I am still not sure!

PS I also threw in a Snake Charmer. Its huge! I see a multitude of potential uses. Will see how it performs on the next trip.
    ncb4 likes this.

JLE, Thanks for your comparisons, could you share some illustrative pictures to drive home your points? Especially of the LCB?
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

JD78 - oh those accessories! For sure you will want some organizer pouches. They are so useful! You may want some colored keystraps to tether the pouches. I use a couple minis, a small, and a pencil case regularly. Some folks are using medium and large pouches for items that would go in the seatback pocket on an airplane, to keep things tidy and --ew-- free of germs. Lots of folks here highly recommend the 3D clear organizer bag for its flexibility as a 3-1-1 toiletries bag or a great cable holder. I love the divider wallet.

I'm also not a backpack person, but I have a navy Synapse arriving tomorrow. (woohoo!) If you are using your bag for classes after your trip, the Synapse may be a good option. People rave about the Synapse, and I want to see what the buzz is about. So maybe the Synapse might be a good accessory for your LCB? ;-)
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 04-17-2012 at 06:55 AM.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    JLE, Thanks for your comparisons, could you share some illustrative pictures to drive home your points? Especially of the LCB?
    Dorayme, I would love to, but I think it may be beyond my very limited technical capabilities to get photos from iPhoto into a post!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0