Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

JLE

Aeronaut as checked baggage (gulp)

Hi all,

Recently I said somewhere on this forum that I would not buy a carry on travel bag bigger than a Tri-Star (because anything bigger would probably exceed carry on weight limits for Australian and Asian airlines once packed). Famous last words!

Today I am thinking about adding an Aeronaut to my TB collection. The reason is that I have discovered an airline for which even the Western Flyer may be too big! I am going to Bhutan next year and must therefore fly Drukair (Bhutan's national airline) in and out of Paro. My original plan was to take a WF and my Synapse, both as carry on. However, Drukair, which flies A319s, has a very tight size and weight limit for carry on. The Western Flyer would probably be just OK size wise (it is about half an inch too long but I am sure you could get away with it) but the total carry on weight limit is 5kg. Now, I know Lani and Frank II, if they are reading this, are thinking "no problem", but I just know I can't get my packing list for a 10 day trip down to 5kg. I am pretty pleased I have got it down to 7kg! My current thinking is to have only carry on for the flight from Melbourne to Bangkok and then check a bag for the leg from Bangkok to Paro (I plan to spend a day or two in Bangkok en route so won't have problems, airline-wise, doing it this way).

I think this means the WF might be ruled out for this trip, although I am prepared to give a bit of thought to seeing what I can achieve with a WF and a Dyneema Synapse packed inside it. I see the WF as a carry on bag only - if I resign myself to checking in luggage, I am not going to force myself to be quite as disciplined with my packing list and I might as well allow myself a slightly larger bag. So, assuming I can't make the WF work, my options are to take (and check) my Tri-Star, or buy an Aeronaut. It strikes me that the Aeronaut is probably better suited to this trip than the Tri-Star given (a) I won't have much in the way of electronic gear, (b) I will need a pair of sturdy walking shoes and (c) I might buy oddly shaped souvenirs. Plus if I am just going to use the Tri-Star there would be no purpose to this thread!

My questions for Aeronaut owners are as follows.
    1. Do any of you ever check your Aeronaut in when flying? If so, have you ever had any problems with the main carrying handle getting caught/damaged by baggage handlers?
    2. Does anyone have any tips for securing the handles as close to the side of the bag as possible to minimise the risks of them getting damaged/caught?
    3. How easy/difficult is it to lock the various compartments? I am thinking cable ties might be a good method.
    4. Has anyone had any problems checking in an Aeronaut that is not firmly packed (ie damage to contents etc)?

All thoughts and suggestions gratefully received.

i had to check in my aeronaut last october. out of CDG (paris) to SFO via Air France. then i had to quickly run out to immigrations then pick up my aeronaut and another suitcase before heading to customs then quickly run and drop off my baggages for my next flight - SFO to HNL.

the aeronaut was close to 35 lbs. and i already had a shopping bag & my personal purse to bring on the plane. reason why i had to check it in.

i did a quick look at my aero when i picked it up in SFO before dropping it off for another flight. everything was good. nothing wrong. no damage. and when i picked it up in honolulu, again perfect. nothing wrong with it.

i made sure that the backpack straps were all tucked in and that the handles were velcro together. the bag was full of clothes and a pair of shoes. all i had was a cable ties locking up all the zips. my tsa lock was on my big main luggage. there was nothing important in the aeronaut. i guess the only thing that was really important was the aeronaut itself.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by hibell View Post
    i had to check in my aeronaut last october. out of CDG (paris) to SFO via Air France. then i had to quickly run out to immigrations then pick up my aeronaut and another suitcase before heading to customs then quickly run and drop off my baggages for my next flight - SFO to HNL.

the aeronaut was close to 35 lbs. and i already had a shopping bag & my personal purse to bring on the plane. reason why i had to check it in.

i did a quick look at my aero when i picked it up in SFO before dropping it off for another flight. everything was good. nothing wrong. no damage. and when i picked it up in honolulu, again perfect. nothing wrong with it.

i made sure that the backpack straps were all tucked in and that the handles were velcro together. the bag was full of clothes and a pair of shoes. all i had was a cable ties locking up all the zips. my tsa lock was on my big main luggage. there was nothing important in the aeronaut. i guess the only thing that was really important was the aeronaut itself.
    Thanks for the info. If my TB bag got lost I think I would be more sad about the bag itself than its contents as well!

JLE....I'll make you feel better....I've never been able to get down to 5 kg. Not even close.

Occasionally, we are forced to travel on certain carriers where we will have no choice but to check bags. I do my best to avoid them, but, sometimes you can't. I, too, am planning a trip to a place where only one carrier flies to the entire country but thankfully their carry-on limits are better than Drukair's.

The way the Aeronaut is designed, there aren't many things sticking out that could get caught in the baggage system. The backpack clips hideaway. I would suggest that if you are using an Absolute Strap, and check the bag, you unclip it and put it inside the bag. Straps are notorious for getting caught.

Even if you have to check, you can't frown; Bhutan is considered the happiest country in the world They actually have a "Gross National Happiness" policy.

http://www.grossnationalhappiness.com/

Its high up on my list of places to visit. I hear flights in and out are spectacular.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

JLE
    Frank II, I feel better! I mean, on a bad day my handbag weighs 5 kg, so what hope have I got?!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0