Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darcy

Thread: Is the Western Flyer being repositioned as more of a business bag?

JLE

Is the Western Flyer being repositioned as more of a business bag?

I have noticed a slight change in the way the Western Flyer is shown on the site today, with the new photos. New colours, all at the more sombre, business-like end of the TB colour spectrum. A photo of the WF in black in half profile, looking as slim as a laptop case. Another photo showing the Brain Cell and Freudian slip inserted into the back compartment. The narrative description of the bag hasn't changed, I don't think, but the change in visuals makes me wonder if the TriStar has taken so much of the convertible bag market that it makes more sense to reposition the Western Flyer as an overnight business bag for the one-bagging business traveller. Or perhaps it's just that everyone bought the bag in black or steel anyway!

I will still be taking a WF to Bhutan next year - the antithesis of a business overnight trip!

I can't speak as to whether the WF is being repositioned, though I agree the new photos are all in the more "somber" end of the color spectrum. Perhaps you're right. But I had to comment on our upcoming trip to Bhutan. What a wonderful opportunity. Is this for business or pleasure? I hope you'll share photos of your WF in action.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I can't speak as to whether the WF is being repositioned, though I agree the new photos are all in the more "somber" end of the color spectrum. Perhaps you're right. But I had to comment on our upcoming trip to Bhutan. What a wonderful opportunity. Is this for business or pleasure? I hope you'll share photos of your WF in action.
    The Bhutan trip is one I have wanted to make for a long time. It is for pleasure. We are still in the fairly early planning stages but at this point the idea is to visit a few valleys and end up in Paro for the festival in March. It's a long way off but I am mentally packing the WF already!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Most of our bags are always available in Black/Steel, so we decided that it makes the most sense to photograph bags in Black/Steel for the shots that show the features, details, that kind of thing. For example: if we use an Indigo/Solar bag for those feature/details shots, and then decide not to offer Indigo/Solar as a color choice, it can be understandably confusing ("What is that blue/yellow color combination in the photos? Why can't I select it in the drop-down menu?")

And on showing the Brain Cell and Freudian Slip (in addition to Packing Cubes) -- we figured you guys would want to see how those two accessories worked with the Western Flyer.

I hope you take lots of photos of your trip to Bhutan! It's on my list of must-go places.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I went to look at the new photos, and something made me pause and rub my eyes.

THE BOTTLE COMPARTMENT IS ZIPPERED, just like the Tri-Star!!!! I was almost sure the one I had has an open pocket... in fact, it's one of the ways I can easily differentiate it from the Tri-Star.

But then... I looked at the photo of a red WF on the bottom left of the page from a review, and sure enough, it's an OPEN POCKET.

What did you guys make this change? I LOVE the zipper!!

...will this mean it's time for me to sell my beloved WF to "upgrade" to the new one? Hmmmm.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I had to look it up, but it looks like we made the change to the zippered water bottle compartment in 2010. See this blog post.

Coming soon: new photos of the Rolling Luggage Handle Pocket version!
    Lani likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Looking forward to the new photos of the WF with pockets!

I was guilty of seeing a colour combination in a photo and then wondered why I couldn't click onto it the colour choice drop down link. So cheers to Darcy et al for making it easier for those of us that can be, cough cough, easily confused!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

I have a steel/UV WF with the pocket. I was very nervous initially because I usually default to backpack straps if they're an option, but I have to say that I find the pocket really useful and the WF sized in such a way that carrying it by hand or with the Absolute Strap is quite easy.

The updated pics look great, by the way!

Thanks, Badger.

I aggre with Badger. The new pix do a great job in showing the functionality of the bag, especially re: carrying clothing. The older set seems to have even more oriented toward the briefcase use.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I had to look it up, but it looks like we made the change to the zippered water bottle compartment in 2010. See this blog post.
    Oh, I'd missed that. Thanks for looking it up!

The bottle pocket is nice but one problem I was having was worrying that the bottle might fall out if I wore the WF as a backpack. With this zippered pocket that's not a worry anymore.

Thanks for posting those new photos, because I don't think I would've noticed otherwise!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Just viewed the new pictures. Nice work.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0