Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marbenais

Thread: Dyneema Synapse as laptop bag?

Dyneema Synapse as laptop bag?

I've had a cordura Synapse since shortly after it was released, and it's my most used TB bag. It's pretty much perfect for my purposes (though the Brain Bag works best on days when I have a lot of stuff to lug around). I've been considering getting a dyneema Synapse, and I was wondring if some current owners could help me out: How is it as a laptop bag? I use my Synapse for many things, but 90% of the time one of the things it carries is my Macbook Air (in a Cache). I'm wondering if the dyneema version offers less protection since it's thinner/floppier? Any insight would be appreciated.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Do you put your MBA inside of any type of cache? Will you have other items in the Synapse with it? Those would be factors. FWIW, I carry my iPad in my PCSB sometimes and that offer's absolutely no protection, other than from rain. I use a felted sleeve for protection when I do that. I am also aware of how little padding is there and don't knock around the bag, or toss it anywhere. I would say, if you are using a cache and common sense it will be protected as well as in the Cordura Synapse.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I've carried both my iPad and MacBook in my Dyneema Synapse, with no problems. My better half has the Cordure version, but I haven't used it, so I can't really compare it.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have a Cache for the MB Air and would be using it for protection. And I'm careful with my stuff--wouldn't be slinging it on the ground or anything. I guess I was just wondering if the lack of rigidity in the Dyneema Synapse would make it potentially less protective than the Cordura version. But it sounds like that's not an issue.

You dont say which Air you have?
    The 11" would go inside a Brain Cell inside a Synapse easily and maybe the 13" would too?
    That would certainly be good protection.

I think as long as you have the laptop in a protective case and don't, you know, sit on the Synapse or anything foolish like that, it will be fine.
    Lani likes this.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

What Marbenais said. I have a steel Dyneema Synapse, and as long as you have the laptop in some sort of case so it's not flopping around naked in there, you should have no trouble.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0