Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By do15
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 1 Post By do15

Thread: Longest Trip with Western Flyer

Longest Trip with Western Flyer

Hi All,

What is the longest trip you have embarked on with a Western Flyer?

Your answers/help will be greatly appreciated.

Went for 2-week trip to France with my wife, we visited Paris and Montpellier in Languedoc-Rousillon. We packed all our stuff in one WF. I don't carry a laptop, but that time around I packed running shoes, as I trained for Marathon. Really, there is no going back to anything bigger/bulkier.
    Hope this helps.
    dorayme likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    This is amazing, could you please share some summary of your packing list?
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I recently did a 3-week business trip to South Africa using just the Western Flyer with the absolute shoulder strap (first use). While I have a tristar, it's too easy for me to overpack, but the WF carried everything I needed and did great.

2 weeks? 3 weeks? WOW, that is way beyond my wildest expectations!! So, I guess 1 week+ (8 days to be exact) in So. America (including 4 beach days) is definitely not out of the question with my Western Flyer. My personal problem is that I usually come back with more stuff than I left home with!!

Thanks so much for sharing!!

I went to Madrid for a week with my WF packed half full and (of Course) came back with more than I went with.

JLE
    I am planning to do 8 days in Bhutan plus a stopover in Bangkok next year, with a WF and my Synapse.

And how do you plan to add to the gross national happiness of Bhutan while you're there?

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    And how do you plan to add to the gross national happiness of Bhutan while you're there?
    Perhaps I'll take two Western Flyers and leave one behind!

One thing to keep in mind: For most people, I think if you can manage to pack for a 4-day trip, you can extend that over and over so that you can easily travel for weeks with the same stuff. The key is that you need to be able to wash your clothes (either a quick rinse and a hang-dry in your hotel bathroom everyday, or laundry service at the hotel, or laundry facilities nearby).

The key here is that every item of clothing should go with every other item. The idea is to be able to mix and match everything, so that you can wear a number of variations in your travel wardrobe without looking like all you have are your small handful of clothes.

Stick to one color scheme (a lot of people typically go with black, white, and maybe jeans; some people like neutrals like tans and browns) and make sure everything works together.

Men can add a tie or two in the mix and REALLY change up their look. Women can do something similar with a couple of scarves or a reversible pashmina (that's a very large scarf). You can tie them around your neck, wear them loose, wear them as a wrap, etc.
    dorayme likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    This is amazing, could you please share some summary of your packing list?
    I am sorry I couldn't respond sooner.
    Here is what we took with us;

- 3 changes of socks, underwear and t-shirts (ExOfficio tees and undies, Tilley socks; have switched to merino wool tees and undies since). I had to do the laundry a few times. Small price to pay, IMO.
    - light moccasins as slippers (softstarshoes), since we stayed with family in Paris.
    - light fleece and hardshell jacket (Rohan Microgrid Stowaway and Marmot Percip jacket). As it was in August, no heavier outerwear.
    - toiletries, some woolite laundry liquid.
    - one or two paperbacks and camera, in my wife's cafe bag.
    -hat
    No extra shoes or pants. I wore Russellmoccasins and Railriders Backcountry khakis. There are other excellent choices as well. I also took one travel shirt, but I hardly wore it.

My wife was equipped similarly, plus some women specific underwear, one or two blouses and a skirt.
    It was a bit of a squeeze in one Western Flyer. Ordinarily, we would have taken two bags.
    On the other hand, some items we could have done without, like running shoes and slippers.
    YMMV, but we don't do 'business' or 'business-casual', 'casual' only.
    Last edited by do15; 03-20-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by do15 View Post
    we stayed with family in Paris.
    So. Jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    So. Jealous.
    You shouldn't be. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but you hardly ever get more than what you pay for
    Last edited by do15; 03-20-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0