Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 1 Post By daisy

Thread: Size of empty packing cubes?

Cool Size of empty packing cubes?

Hi,
    First post... longtime fan.
    I’m living in Australia, and I’d like my parents to bring me a couple Tom Bihn items when they come to visit soon. I had a Brain Bag shipped here recently, and I want to try using some packing cubes with it. I read on some other threads that some use large aeronaut packing cube shoulder bags and packing cube backpacks with the brain bag.
    Question is: do they take up any room when empty? (my parents want to know since they’re bringing them to me.)
    Thanks,
    Adam

Hey Adam, welcome to the family!

I have one of the Packing cube BackPacks for a Tristar and it does take up some room, but very little. The dyneema is really thin but the straps add a little bit of mass when you fold or roll it up.

If the main purpose is to use them inside the Brain Bag, do you really need the backpack or shoulder bag versions? The "plain" ones would certainly take up less room.
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

2 Packing Cube Shoulder Bags stacked horizontally fit in each Brain Bag compartment Packing Cube Shoulder Bag: TOM BIHN

2 lightly packed or 1 fully packed Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) fit in each Brain Bag compartment
    Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut): TOM BIHN

Make sure that your parents get the Packing Cube Backpack(s) for (Aeronaut), with the zipper at the bottom, which fit perfectly in the Brain Bag.

The Packing Cube Backpack for the (Tri-Star/Western Flyer) is the same height as the Brain Bag and as a result doesn't fit inside unless squished.

By the way, the straps come OFF of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags, so they'll take up less room.

Backpack is right about the sizing for the two different Packing Cube Backpacks, but I'm going to toss a caveat here.

The Aeronaut version is squarer, and that bottom zippered compartment is great if you actually HAVE something to put it in, like a big water bottle or a pair of shoes. If you don't, however, it's a huge hunk of space that not only gets unused, but makes your backpack look pretty funky when you wear it. AND the backpack becomes somewhat top-heavy because you won't have anything weighted down at the bottom of the bag.

If you're planning on using the Packing Cube Backpack as a backpack, think first about whether you think you'll use that bottom compartment regularly. If the answer is no, consider getting the version for the Western Flyer/Tri-Star, even if it means it's not a perfect fit in your Aeronaut.

Just something to be aware of.

[What I'd really love to see, is the Aeronaut version of the Packing Cube Backpack redesigned so that that bottom compartment isn't completely separate from the main compartment. That is, it would be great if the main compartment takes up the entire length of the backpack, and the bottom portion is actually a very deep pocket (like how some gym bags have a "shoe pocket" that isolates your shoes from the rest of your bag, but the pocket doesn't take up any room away from the main compartment until it's filled).]
    JonP likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    By the way, the straps come OFF of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags, so they'll take up less room.

[What I'd really love to see, is the Aeronaut version of the Packing Cube Backpack redesigned so that that bottom compartment isn't completely separate from the main compartment. That is, it would be great if the main compartment takes up the entire length of the backpack, and the bottom portion is actually a very deep pocket (like how some gym bags have a "shoe pocket" that isolates your shoes from the rest of your bag, but the pocket doesn't take up any room away from the main compartment until it's filled).]
    I _think_ I can visualise what you are describing ... in my head I see myself turning MrDaisy around and grabbing my spray jacket from the bottom section of the Aeronaut PCPB and not being able to put it back later because the stuff in the top section is now occupying the bottom section... (I use the PCBP as an attachment for MrDaisy when I'm using him as a handbag:-).

Or have I missed the point?
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    I _think_ I can visualise what you are describing ... in my head I see myself turning MrDaisy around and grabbing my spray jacket from the bottom section of the Aeronaut PCPB and not being able to put it back later because the stuff in the top section is now occupying the bottom section... (I use the PCBP as an attachment for MrDaisy when I'm using him as a handbag:-).
    Yeah, that could definitely happen.

When that happens, I suggest you bend over like you're trying to touch your toes, and then the heaviest of the weight in your backpack will gravitate towards the top end, giving Mr. Daisy a way to stuff your jacket back into the pocket. Tee hee!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Yeah, that could definitely happen.

When that happens, I suggest you bend over like you're trying to touch your toes, and then the heaviest of the weight in your backpack will gravitate towards the top end, giving Mr. Daisy a way to stuff your jacket back into the pocket. Tee hee!
    Not being a contortionist, MrDaisy cannot stuff the jacket into the pocket - as he is acting as a suspension system for the backpack. Perhaps I'd need to ask him to suspend himself upside down from a handy treebranch.

There is of course the problem that the PCBP would no longer be aeronaut sized when everted.
    Lani likes this.
    List under construction ....

Thanks everyone. That’s very helpful. I think I’m going to get one backpack and two shoulder bags.