Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Problems with Aeronaut as Carry-On

Problems with Aeronaut as Carry-On

Here's the problem....I'm having a discussion with a friend of mine who is an engineer. Not the Casey Jones type but one who deals in formulas, numbers, slide rules etc. He is very black and white; there is no gray in his thinking.

I told him the virtues of the Aeronaut. So he looked into it and said it was too big. "Too big for what?" I asked. "Too big for my favorite airline (Lufthansa)," he said, "It won't fit in the sizer."

He said the Aeronaut is 45 liters while Lufthansa only allows 44 liters. I tried to explain that a non-packed to the gills soft sided bag doesn't take up the maximum capacity stated but, as I said, it's either black or white with him.

Then, he said, if he put anything in the side pockets, like electronics, or metal, it wouldn't lie flat and cause his bag to be searched by TSA. He doesn't want that either.

So, my friends here in Tom Bihn Land, I ask:

1) Has anyone ever had a problem taking their Aeronaut on board with them because of SIZE? (Not asking about weight because some airlines are just super low.) If you did have a problem, what was the reason?.

2) Have you ever packed electronics, cords, metal objects in the side pockets--either in a pouch or cube--and because of the way it was packed have those side pockets searched manually? (Since items could be packed on top of each other.)

Please also let me know if you've never had a problem with either.

Thanks. (I will show him this thread because he doesn't believe what people tell him just what he reads.)
    Last edited by Frank II; 02-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Just flew last month with my Aeronaut through Newark and Ft. Lauderdale, both places where I have had issues in the past (with non-Tom Bihn bags). This time though, and with one of the end pockets full of electronics (Kindle, chargers, digital camera & charger & cards & batteries, etc. etc.), I had absolutely NO issues. Since the main part of the bag wasn't entirely full, I was able to squish the bag into the overhead, no problem. I hope this helps!

Nope; we've never had a problem carrying on an Aeronaut. That said, I suspect Lufthansa is a big stricter with their sizes.

With soft-sided cases like the Aeronaut, a lot of it is visual perception. If your friend doesn't pack the thing to the gills, he should be OK.

As for electronics, if he's concerned about it, he can keep them all in a stuff sack and then let it go through the machine on its own. Better yet, stick it in a transparent ziploc baggie. When he's done, he can roll it back into the side pocket.

Typically, they will just slow down the belt and look at it a couple of times, but I haven't had them ask to open it up.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I have to second Lani on the size perception aspect of the Aeronaut. It looks small, especially in comparison to roll-aboards. I never had problems with it, even when it was quite full. On our flight to Rome, which was 10 hours, I had it under the seat in front of me the whole time.

On the way home from Italy, my iPad stand set off the detector, and that caused them to do a manual search. However, my iPad stand is weird and pointy when it's folded up. It did not set off the detector in either O'Hare or JFK. In terms of your friend's argument about electronics lying flat, etc., no bag is a guarantee that you won't be searched by TSA; however, I packed my electronics into the side pockets like they were books and didn't have any problems except for at Marco Polo, where they were insisting that iPads, etc., come out. This was true for people who were using backpacks and rolling cases as well as me, though.

At the end of the day, if your friend sees the 45 litre capacity and end pockets as deal breakers, oh well. There's the Tri-Star, Western Flyer, etc., and a gazillion other bags out there.

Badger, what do you pack your electronics in to make it seem like "books?" Would you describe what you do? It sounds interesting.
    Last edited by Frank II; 02-22-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Badger, what do you pack your electronics in to make it seem like "books?" Would you describe what you do? It sounds interesting.
    It's actually not that interesting, I don't think, because all of the electronics I packed recently were book-like: one thing was an iPad, another thing was a Kindle. These were in a Cache and a padded OP, respectively. They were stood on their sides in the side pocket of the Aeronaut like books on a shelf. The other cables and such were packed flat into OPs so they too were somewhat flat and easy to pack on their edge. I don't think I took any pics of this organization, but let me know if you can't visualize it and I will try to recreate it somehow.

I got it....thanks. I'm always refining my packing technique so I like to hear how others do it.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Frank, I use the clear quarter packing cubes for electronics in the side pockets of the Aeronaut. If I need to pull them out, it's easy to see the contents (hard drives, etc.) on either side, and the size of the cubes are well matched both the components and to the side pockets of the Aeronaut. I've been using the Tri-Star more recently, mainly for the central compartment and laptop access. Also, I carry fewer of these devices around now. But I used to fly with these on the Aeronaut (including on Lufthansa).
    Lani likes this.

I use the clear quarter packing cubes in the side pockets as well but I'm thinking of switching to clear organizer pouches.

In fact, I use two clear quarter packing cubes in the same side pocket--one for toiletries and laundry stuff, the other for electronics and misc. doodads. (duct tape, collapsible backscratcher, spork, heating coil, Swedish folding cup, etc. ) The other end pocket has an end pocket packing cube with socks, undies, t shirts and the occasional gym shorts.

I've never had a problem.

But I'm trying to sell my friend on the Aeronaut. However, I think he'll stick with his current $30 cheapo bag. (Did I mention besides being stubborn and rigid he's also as cheap as they come?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    But I'm trying to sell my friend on the Aeronaut. However, I think he'll stick with his current $30 cheapo bag. (Did I mention besides being stubborn and rigid he's also as cheap as they come?)
    Well, you get what you pay for. Hope he carries a roll of dental floss with a sewing needle for when his bag comes apart during one of his trips!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Well, you get what you pay for...
    Not quite true, otherwise we'd all be carrying this in place of our Cadets:
    Gucci - foldable portfolio. 271569AZ10W2101

I'm tempted to try to use only the Aeronaut when I head out to Phoenix next--but I just feel like I carry too much stuff. When I flew out over Christmas, my Aeronaut was pretty full, and I had a decent bit of stuff in my Super Ego.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Lani - I agree. He'll come around to Frank's point of view when a strap breaks. Or more likely, a zipper! Then he'll pay a stinging amount for whatever crap is available in the airport shop. Been there, done that.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by xtal View Post
    Not quite true, otherwise we'd all be carrying this in place of our Cadets:
    Gucci - foldable portfolio. 271569AZ10W2101
    But for a mere $1980 you can get that bag personalized! This is off-topic for this thread, but what color Cadet did you get? And are you planning to carry camera gear, or did the ability to insert a Horizontal Freudian Slip in the 15/13 Cadet enter into your decision?

At Thanksgiving, both legs on my return flight (Continental - small regional jets) tried to make me gate check my Aeronaut. Both times I told them it would fit. They shrugged and gave me a claim ticket anyway, "just in case." Both times it fit - once in the overhead, once under the seat (double seat but no one in the other seat, so I had the entire floor storage area). The only problem I had with the underseat storage was that I needed to get out of the way - out into the aisle - before I could easily pull it out. Putting it under - it just slipped right in.
    Cocoa/wasabi LCB, black/wasabi MCB & SCB, steel/solar Aeronaut, Absolute Shoulder Strap, 5 packing cubes, olive Clear Organizer Wallet, turquoise & wasabi large clear organizer pouches, plum & black pen/pencil organizer pouches, 5 Clear/Cordura Organizer Pouches (mini & small/assorted colors), azalea 3-D Clear Organizer Cube, lapis blue & iberian Ultrasuede Screen Cloths, solar Travel Tray, 5 key straps (assorted lengths/colors), red/blue Strapeez, red Guardian Dual Function Light

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0