Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: PCSB in a LS or Swift?

@TxGirl, for some reason I couldn't "read" your post correctly before, my brain was not cooperating. Sorry if my answer is incomplete. I'll try to remedy that.

The body of the bags are similar in that they are totes with two interior pockets and unlined, but very different in how they behave and feel. The Shop Bag is just significantly less substantial. It weighs less, the fabric isn't as stiff, though ultra durable. It's like a bulletproof membrane around a skeleton/framework. The corded seams internally give the bag structure. As you have noted it's side panels with a unibody front, bottom back panel. The pockets are attached at the bottom on the sides, they have no closure, there are 2 o-rings at the top of the bag. The base of the bag is rectangular. The bag is curvy, but overall it is much more squared off than the LS. Pointier things will distort the shape of the SB, but because of that it also somewhat has a better capacity to adapt to unusually shaped items. Most items would be hard pressed to actually puncture through because of the strength of Dyneema. The SB has no top closure. Though some carry the SB as a purse, it's more truly a multipurpose tote in my book. The SB was introduced when the Utility Tote was phased out of production. The shop bag is androgynous.

The Little Swift is sturdier like a fabric bucket. The structure comes from bound seams, the seam placement and contour of the panels and the Ballistic Boot around the bottom. The fabrics (Ballistic, Cork, Hemp on Rubber backing and most recently two in Cordura) have a much sturdier feel and the ability to for the most part stand on their own vs. Dyneema. The bottom is oval shaped. The main pockets are lined, have zipper closures, o-rings and a urethane panel that also adds a stiffening quality as it's stiffer than Dyneema. These pockets are attached to the top of the bag's front and back panels. There are two additional slip pockets formed by the cross over of the side panels giving the sides more structure due to the fact that there are two full layers of bag fabric forming a triangle shape at each side that extends around the bag. There are 4 additional o-rings within the main compartment. The LS has a top button tab closure. The LS is more of a purse. This bag is almost certainly just for the ladies.

The bags are similar in their handles. They are composed of a section of binding that also encases the upper rim of the bag that transitions to a Poron foam padded portion. The fabric on the LS is Cordura as we have seen in the bags, the SB has a thinner nylon. The inset on the LS handles is Ballistic, the inset on the SB handles is Dyneema. The drop measures 10" on both. Both are extremely useful bags, but I personally do not see them as interchangeable. They both have black accents, but the LS accents stand out more because of the boot and thicker trim binding the external seams on the bag. Though the measurements are very similar, 11x10.5x6 for the SB and 6x9.5x11 for the LS, the orientation of the dimensions, the base shape, and the side depth contribute to the SB having a larger capacity.

I hope this wasn't too boring and helped.
    TXGirl likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

^^^Thanks dorayme! I found your pic on Flickr of your Hemp LS & UV SB so that helped as well.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Sorry I'm late to the party: a project with a client who keeps stalling, then dumps work on me unexpectedly with 48 hours deadlines has made me a little crazy lately. (And I was fairly crazy to begin with.) But I am here to tell you, Leah, that you can carry both an iPad and a Coach Wristlet in a Little Swift. In fact, I'm doing it right now. I don't prefer to carry my iPad in my LS: it sticks up just a tiny bit over the edge, and that bothers me. But even in the felt sleeve I sewed for it (3mm industrial felt, so it's comparable in bulk to the Cache, perhaps a bit slimmer), the iPad fits comfortably in the LS. This is true even with both clear zip pockets stuffed full with junk; and with a fabric purse organizer that has a ton in it as well [three pens, two mini Organizer Pouches, a Clear Organizer Wallet, another 3x5 zipper pouch, a Moleskine Cahier and Volant, a spray bottle, an aromatherapy stick, a penlight, Kleenex, a little wallet with tea bags in it, and sunglasses in case]. That purse organizer sits on the bottom of the LS, next to the iPad; and on top sits my Coach Wristlet. I've attached a little carabiner to one of the O-rings in the side so I can loop the strap of the Wristlet through this for added security. I also carry two sets of keys, attached with Key Straps to O-rings; and sometimes my iPhone is in there, in another felt sleeve I sewed for it.

I love the LS for my daily PLO (purse-like object). Though I also adore my Indigo Swift, it's too big and floppy unless I need to carry more with me. And I usually carry my iPad in a MCB, mainly because if I'm headed out for a day of sitting in my favorite coffee house (Joshua Cup in Macon, GA) drinking the world's second best chai latte (the first being that at Kiliminjaro in Edinburgh), then I also want to take my wireless keyboard and a folding stand with me. And I wouldn't want to jam all that into my LS: though who knows, it might fit!

Hope this helps,

~Nancy

Name:  IMG_0233.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  294.1 KBName:  IMG_0236.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  297.3 KB
    moriond and TXGirl like this.

Great iPad pouch, Nancy. Where do you get 3 mm industrial felt, and do you need an industrial sewing machine for it?

Thanks Nancy for the pics! They are great!!

I finally placed my order after many months of going back and forth between a Swift and LS, all the different colors to choose from, if I should stay in my comfort zone, etc. But, I decided to go with a fun color and ordered a LS in Kiwi
    moriond and ncb4 like this.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by kmcg View Post
    Great iPad pouch, Nancy. Where do you get 3 mm industrial felt, and do you need an industrial sewing machine for it?
    I purchased mine from a place called FilzFelt. They used to have an Etsy shop, but I think you have to go their webstore now:

FilzFelt | 3mm Wool Design Felt by the Piece

I had to create a yoke in the back of the case in order to squeeze an iPad case out of an 18x18 square, but it worked. And I had some left for to sew a simple slip case for my iPhone. (I've also been able to squeeze a Macbook 11 Air case out one of those "fat" squares.)

And no, you don't need an industrial strength machine. I sewed mine on a vintage 1936 Singer Featherweight that I love. I did use a heavy duty needle (size 16 ballpoint) and upholstery thread. But I was even able to sew on Velcro to secure the front flap, and also a piece of Ultrasuede at the bottom to use as a kind of grip pad. And my little Featherweight handled it just fine. I can take some pictures of the case if you'd like, to show the design.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGirl View Post
    Thanks Nancy for the pics! They are great!!

I finally placed my order after many months of going back and forth between a Swift and LS, all the different colors to choose from, if I should stay in my comfort zone, etc. But, I decided to go with a fun color and ordered a LS in Kiwi
    Did you refer back to Nancy's earlier posts and pictures about the Little Swift that showed it in Kiwi? (I really liked the purse organizer from Etsy that she used in that picture of the Little Swift contents, by the way.)

@ moriond, I did. Also, looked on Ravelry, Flickr, and Google. I looked on Etsy for the purse organizers but was overwhelmed by all the choices!
    Last edited by TXGirl; 02-21-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to reply w quote

@ moriond, I did. Also, looked on Ravelry, Flickr, and Google. I looked on Etsy for the purse organizers but was overwhelmed by all the choices!
    I know that for some the purse organizers work well. They are can be very pretty too. The one I tried, a pink Pouchee, only worked in some of my bags. I abandoned it years ago. Now that I have a plethora of TB pouches I find my organization works for any bag, large or small. And I don't have to reconfigure anything. I just add in what pouches fit and what pouches I need. They are quick and easy to identify and access within my bag and my contents stay cleaner and less mussed than when I had things free floating or in the Pouchee.

Congratulations on your Kiwi LS. Have you thought of just organizing with the Organizer Pouches you already own and use vs. adding weight and more complication to the mix?
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I know that for some the purse organizers work well. They are can be very pretty too. The one I tried, a pink Pouchee, only worked in some of my bags. I abandoned it years ago. Now that I have a plethora of TB pouches I find my organization works for any bag, large or small. And I don't have to reconfigure anything. I just add in what pouches fit and what pouches I need. They are quick and easy to identify and access within my bag and my contents stay cleaner and less mussed than when I had things free floating or in the Pouchee.

Congratulations on your Kiwi LS. Have you thought of just organizing with the Organizer Pouches you already own and use vs. adding weight and more complication to the mix?
    Yep, I plan on using my current OPs, my sm yarn stuff sack, & 3D OC. I was just browsing on Etsy @ the purse organizers.

. . . I decided to go with a fun color and ordered a LS in Kiwi
    Congratulations! I bought one of my sisters the LS in Kiwi + the Kiwi organizer wallet last summer. She likes them very much. I had the items shipped to my sister & did not get to see them until last Christmas. The kiwi is very beautiful.

My LS is the cacao ultrasuede. My next LS will be a black ultrasuede.

Everyone has to find a system that works for them. I do use two Organizer Pouches and a Clear Organizer Wallet inside my LS, but that I found that the OPs alone weren't enough for me. I don't like them dangling from the O-rings in the LS (whereas that is just fine with me in my Cafe bags and Imago; go figure.) Attached that way, the OPs were always getting in my way when I tried to retrieve something else from the LS. Besides, I have other stuff attached to those O-rings: two key straps, a carabiner, and the strap of my Coach wristlet. And if I don't clip the OPs to the O-rings, then they just float around the inside of the LS and get hopelessly lost. Enter the purse organizer! Think of it as a kind of Travel Tray for purses.

The style of organizer I've bought—which is a kind of rectangular bucket with an enclosed bottom, several slip pockets on the outside of the organizer, several slip pockets on the inside, and a deep interior well—allows me to be even more organized. I put the three TB pouches inside the well of organizer, rather than clip them to the O-rings. They are corraled this way and I can find them right away. Then I'm also able to put my pens, Moleskines, sunglasses, Kleenex, penlight, and other goodies in various pockets of the PO. I can reach in and grab them immediately: no pouch to retrieve and then unzip.

The combination of the TB and PO systems works best for me, at least in the bucket-like style of the Little Swifts. And all I have to do when I'm changing from my Ultrasuede Cacao to my Azalea LS—or even to my larger Indigo Swift—is pick up the organizer and move it. I don't even have to unclip anything from O-rings (lazy as I am). Everything I want and need, OPs included, is transferred in one fell swoop. (Though I do have to also unzip the two clear pockets in the LS and transfer that stuff as well.)

By contrast, when I'm using my MCB, my LCB, or my Imago, I don't find that the purse organizer works at all. It takes up more room than I want it to in those bags. It also doesn't work well in the deeper vertical Cafe bags. And the Imago has enough built-in internal organization of its own. So with those three bags, I use the OPs alone. But I tend to use those as what I think of as "gadget" bags. I carry one of those three when I need my Macbook Air 11, my Ipad and its keyboard, or my cameras. Any other time, my daily go-to carry bag is the LS (I LOVE this bag), and the TB+PO system makes it a simple one-step procedure to go from Ultrasuede to Azalea, without worrying about leaving anything behind.

But that's what's I find endlessly fascinating about this forum (and also the whatsinyour bag threads at Flickr). I absolutely love to see all the different ways people find to carry their stuff. So please take pictures of your system when your new Kiwi LS arrives, TXGirl!
    Last edited by ncb4; 02-22-2012 at 05:25 AM.
    dorayme likes this.

@ncb4, I agree with your point, and wasn't trying to suggest that my system was perfect or right, just that I had found out that for me, it worked. I agree, there are many "right" ways to organize the various TB bags, just as there are many "right" uses, depending on the user.
    ncb4 likes this.

@ncb4, I agree with your point, and wasn't trying to suggest that my system was perfect or right, just that I had found out that for me, it worked. I agree, there are many "right" ways to organize the various TB bags, just as there are many "right" uses, depending on the user.
    Don't worry, dorayme, I knew that! I really love the fact that everyone uses TB in different ways; I find it endlessly fascinating to hear all about them, too. Guess I'm just a TB geek!

This off-topic, but thanks so much for referring me (on a different forum thread) to the Ravelry tutorials on knitting I-cord covers for earbuds. I'm not sure I'm quite able to visualize that yet (it's easy to confuse me), but I may give it a try. What kind of yarn did you use for yours?

I figured things were cool, but with written communication, sometimes it's so hard to discern tone. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't perceived as being pushy.

I'm happy to share. It's through sharing that I found out about TB
    I used Noro Kureyon sock leftovers from a sweater. I think any thin yarn would work well. I think I did 4 stitches on 2.5mm needles but you could increase to 6 stitches or so with smaller needles and lace weight. I wouldn't go any thicker than sport unless you wanted really fat cables.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0