Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Lani

Thread: Compatibility of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube and the Weatern Flyer

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas

Compatibility of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube and the Weatern Flyer

Either my search foo is broken, or this hasn't been asked before on the forums. When using the Western Flyer combined with the Packing Cube Backpack in the back section and the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in the front section on one half of the bag, does the other half have enough room to fit a Clear Quarter Packing Cube? will this work with the zipper in place?

I went to the product pages and checked measurements, but sometimes I overlook things so I thought it would be safer to actually ask those who use the products together to advise of their fit.

I'm approaching the time of a new order soon, so my order planning has gone into overdrive. I have a WF and the other cubes are a part of my travel goods. I'm going to be adding the 1\4 cube and wanted to know how it fit with how I pack.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    When using the Western Flyer combined with the Packing Cube Backpack in the back section and the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in the front section on one half of the bag, does the other half have enough room to fit a Clear Quarter Packing Cube? will this work with the zipper in place?
    Dorayme -- I just checked for you, and the answer is yes. It kind of depends on how full you pack it, though. The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is rather deceptive. It looks rather dainty but it can pack enough for me to fly to Mars and back... so if you pack it totally full, you might have a little trouble zipping the Western Flyer around it.

Keep in mind that I believe the CQPC is too large to qualify under TSA's 3-1-1 rule. What I would do if I were you, is pack your liquids into a quart-sized Ziploc bag and THEN pack that into half of the CQPC sides. Pull it out for security and then after that, pack it back up. Size should be just about comparable.

When I fly with mine, I typically pack the liquids in one side, and my makeup in the other half.

For proof, here's a photo I took for you. Ultraviolet Packing Cube Backpack, Iberian Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and then an Iberian CQPC.

Name:  TomBihn_bag_picture_for_dorayme.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  229.4 KB
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Thanks, Lani, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I use the 3-d cube as my toiletry and it fits into the front pocket. My interest in the quarter cube is for unmentionables, small electronic accessories, and other misc. do dads I feel I need when I travel.

I'm thinking of a second one to use as a knitting tool organizer, similar to doornum3's co-pilot. I really like hat concept. I'm torn though between the quarter cube and the PCSB for that purpose.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

3D Clear Organizer Cubes would be perfect knitting tool organizers.

Smaller tools can be held in Mini and Small Pouches, color coding is ideal for that purpose, then placed on one side or the other of the 3D Clear Organizer Cube. You can attach a ribbon or a string of waste yarn on the zipper pull.

A tired brain will always know that x thing in the pocket with blue yarn is inside a Plum Small Clear Pouch and that you need y thing that is in the solid Mini Cocoa Pouch to continue the project.
    Ask me how I know that!

It is a perfect little container for small baby books.

When the tots get older, mini activity books the size of the ones by Dover on turnable display in book stores on one side, 2x3 " scratch pad on one side and crayons or pencils on the other make for a perfect portable activity cube on the go.

Later on, a trigonometry set and calculator on one side and power bars in the other.

A dance class Cube, one side for hairdo accessories, the other for items to protect the feet.

While I looove my PCSB(s), they are much better suited to pack soft things such as fabric items and accessories while traveling (they protect and categorize items perfectly).

I also use them inside my Swifts to protect papers items from the elements (for added security a short strap can be used to link the PCSB D rings to the O rings on each side of the Swift)
    Last edited by backpack; 02-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0