Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Which wallet to choose?

Which wallet to choose?

Hey-
    Please help! I can't seem to make even the smallest decisions.
    I'd like to order a Tom Bihn organizer wallet. However they seem to come in at least three fabrics: dyneema, cordura and ballistic nylon. I'm familiar with all three fabrics, but not in the wallet format. Can anyone offer advice? I generally prefer the least bulky and lightest solution, which is the dyneema, but perhaps there is some disadvantage I'm not seeing, such as it being more difficult to open quickly because it is floppy rather than a stiffer fabric, etc.?
    I need to make this choice in order to complete an order I'm going to send in.
    Thanks
    Beth

I will say go for your favorite color unless you want a Clear Organizer Wallet with a solid front which only comes in, goes with everything, Navy Cordura.

If you have lots of credit cards/store cards/multiple transit cards, the Steel Dyneema/nylon, being the lightest, would be your first choice.

It is a very nice surprise to see the Clear Organizer Wallet in (new to me) Dyneema and Ballistic.

The Clear Organizer Wallet in Steel Dyneema/nylon and Ballistic are going to be a pleasure to use for furry pet owners and I imagine some knitters.

I would even say, get two, the Solid Navy Cordura for money and the Steel Dyneema/nylon for cards.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-09-2012 at 11:32 AM.

I can say that the Cork is really nice. I got mine a few weeks ago and like it so much I plan on ordering another one in Kiwi ballistic. (And if there is ever one available in Azalea, I'll get that too!)

I think because of the "format" of the wallet, they are all pretty much the same in terms of weight and bulk. It's basically two layers of ultrasuede, a layer of clear plastic, and your chosen outer fabric. so three of the four layes are going to be the same regardless of your chosen fabric.
    Last edited by WhiteStar; 02-10-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

wait, they come in both dyneema and ballistic now? I have a Hemp/Rubber and an Azalea Cordura. I love them both and carry them both daily. I know cork would also be delightful, I love my cork OP. Now I'm off to see the other choices. I may NEED to get a UV Dyneema and Steel Ballistic just to ensure I have adequate options.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

And upon seeing, I had a major disappointment that Steel Ballistic and UV Dyneema aren't in the available choices.
    Why do I have to be so rigid and limited when it comes to colors I love. I know they are all full of WIN.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Thanks for the replies!

The Dyneema and the Ballistic are more slippery, so have a greater chance of falling out of your pocket.

I use Cordura wallets in my pocket and the others in secure locations such as zippered pockets or clipped to a Key Strap.

I have about 8 of them. They're perfect for transporting my pearls when travelling, for protecting expensive hearing aids in the rain, and all sorts of other things!

Audrey
    dorayme likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Take a look at the October 2011 blog post of wallet colors, too, to get an idea of the options. Some of these are no longer available (e.g. the Cocoa Ultrasuede, which I got earlier), but this should give you a better idea of the range of colors. Audrey's statement that the Ballistic and Dyneema are more slippery is correct. Dorayme, I don't recall any color except for Steel being offered as a Dyneema wallet option, but maybe someone can correct me. WhiteStar, the wallet is available in Azalea (at least at present). I like the Cork option, and have a number of Cordura colors, too. They're also good for holding small items like Bluetooth headsets, because of the padding in the dividers.

moriond

Thank you all again! I got the slippery steel dyneema. I already have a ridiculous # of wallets but I'd like to try one that clips to whatever I'm carrying.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-09-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: clarity

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Dyneema wallet when it arrives.

Sorry, dorayme, I called in and changed the wallet to Kiwi (Ballistic nylon), on the basis that a brighter color would be harder to lose or more noticeable if someone tried to swipe it. Not that this has ever happened to me in the past, but somehow it seemed important now that I'm putting all this effort into the choice. Hmmm, I didn't spend this much time deciding on the color of my car.

Well Kiwi is a lovely choice, too! And of course you may find out you want more than one. I use my Hemp wallet for essential cards; driver's license, insurance, debit cards, FSA card, etc. my Azalea wallet holds my membership type cards; store loyalty/punch and library cards, etc. I don't need them both every the time. What little cash I Cary I keep in a mini Cork OP. quick dashes into businesses are light and very minimalistic depending on what business I need to conduct.
    Having the multiple wallets allows me to compartmentallize cards and cash more efficiently.

Hmmm, I didn't spend this much time deciding on the color of my car.
    Too funny! I know what you mean. I was in the TB store this week, and couldn't begin to choose a color for a new pouch.

I do what dorayme does: several pouches with different functions. Have fun with the kiwi!

Volunteer Moderator

What are current colors of Ultrasuede® dividers?

Hi,

Could people who have recently purchased the clear organizer wallet comment on the current colors being used for the Ultrasuede® dividers? The wallets I have use leaf green and cedar dividers (my guess as to the identity of the green and brown Ultrasuede® colors) that match the colors shown in the pictures on the product page. But in the recent blog post with the Gadgeteer review of the clear organizer wallet, it looks as though they're now using Lapis Blue (the color of the FOT Ultrasuede® pouch). (This might make a difference in the color of the organizer wallet you want to order.)

Thanks. moriond

The clear wallet I bought most recently had one white divider and one red divider. The white one was in the front.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0