Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: 2012 Wish List

My wish would be a backpack sized like a Smart Alec with Synapse style pockets. In cordura/dyneema colors.

Mrs B got me some sweet headphones for my birthday, but there's one problem: the carrying bag is FUGLY. It's supposed to be classy, I think, but it's all linty and poorly-made and just nasty. There's no other way to describe it. What would be awesome? An Ultrasuede carry bag in FOT blue. The added benefit is that you could use the bag as a polishing mitt for your laptop screen.

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Thanks, Katy. I'm kind of feeling like each of those exclamation points represents about 13 years

Color:
    since I am living in WhiteStar's universe, I want a ballistic Azalea Co-Pilot
    a light and bright colored dyneema (*sigh* solar)

Bag improvement:
    a carrying handle on the SCB that is sewn upwards. the current orientation downwards always foils my back-pocket-stuffing maneuver.
    Q-AM strappable Co-Pilot (sometimes you have to run to the gate)

New product suggestion:
    a smaller handle strap for petite hands

Lani, you possess uh-mazing summation skills

Would you look at that.

In an earlier post, I had complained about the ugly carrying bag for my headphones. It dawned on me the other day that I already own a TB solution to the Problem of the Fugly "Velvet" Bag: a tall yarn stuff sack.

Headphones. Now you see them,

Now you don't.

It's actually kind of embarrassing how pleased I am with myself.

Wait... did you already own this? I didn't see an order go through with your name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Wait... did you already own this? I didn't see an order go through with your name
    I've had the sack for at least a year or so, I think? Maybe I ordered it before I was special to you

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I've had the sack for at least a year or so, I think? Maybe I ordered it before I was special to you
    Aaaah ok. I was going to be upset if I missed an order from you!

I'm not sure if such a thing is possible. What gets past Katy?

Nothing.

Add my spouse to the list of people who would like a larger Synapse.

In general, he's tolerated my Tom Bihn obsession, but shown no interest himself. He was on travel for a few weeks, during which time my Synapse and small Cafe Bag arrived. I was so surprised when the first thing he commented on after getting settled back home was the Synapse. "That looks like a great backpack" he said. This evening I caught him checking the Tom Bihn backpack webpage. But the Synapse is too small to replace his field pack, and he feels the Smart Alec is too large. He's been looking for a field pack replacement since we met and hasn't found one yet.

A couple of wishes:
    A Large Cafe Bag with a zippered pocket along the inside back wall.
    A Tristar with no interior dividers, just one big compartment. (I have vacation brain - if I can't see it, I can't find it).

Dear Tom,

It goes without saying that I love your bags. But let me say it anyway: I love your bags. I would rather wrestle with a Tom Bihn bag that was less than ideal than search for something else. That's why I'm writing to you today. I have a list of items that I wish you'd make. I would much rather invest my time in trying to convince you to add to your product line than go through the endless buy-and-return cycle in a quest for the perfect bag.

Let's get right to it.

1. The Side Effect Sans Waist Straps.

The Side Effect is my most-used Tom Bihn bag. I love it as a small, durable purse. I can clip on a variety of straps in different configurations to carry it as a shoulder bag, a cross-body bag, an over-the-arm bag, or a wristlet. I almost always carry it inside another bag and then pull it out for quick trips. I can drop it into my backpack or the kids' diaper bag and I know I have everything I need with me.

The only thing I don't like about it is the waist strap. I have never carried my Side Effect that way and I never will; I don't have a shape that lends itself to waist-based carry. (Read: I am shaped like a sausage with no noticeable waist to strap a bag around.) I know that I can tuck them away and simply not use them, but that adds bulk and weight to a bag that could otherwise be perfect.

I'll make a confession: I have two Side Effects, and one has become an experiment. I used a stitch ripper to remove the zillions of stitches on one side seam and removed the waist strap. Then, because I was giddy and eager, I fastened the bag back together with binder clips and beheld my work. It was everything that I hoped it would be. The Side Effect is light, slim and trim without the extra webbing and fabric tucked away on the back. I dread having to pull out all those stitches on the other side, and I'm crossing my fingers that my sewing machine and sewing skills are up to snuff for reattaching the binding and layers of fabric, but I would rather carry a poorly-fixed Frankensideeffect than my perfect regular one with waist straps. (My hat is off to the bold person who actually cut the waist straps off her Side Effect. I couldn't bring myself to do that.)

2. A Co-Pilot With A Middle Compartment.

I love my Co-Pilot as a quick-trip diaper bag. But when I try to add my personal items, I have trouble finding room for them. Likewise, if I've been carrying personal items in my Co-Pilot and want to throw in some diapers, I'm at a loss where to put them.

You know how the Western Flyer and Tristar can be categorized by 2 and 3 large compartments in their construction? Imagine adding a middle compartment to the Co-Pilot to Tristarify it. Then one full-width compartment could be dedicated to diapers, one could be available for parent stuff, and the front compartments could remain in service for bottles/sippy cups/snacks as they are now. My example is biased by my current needs, yes, but others have asked for a "Pilot" and I think this would be a clever and useful way to upsize.

3. A Half-Size Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.

If the Side Effect Sans Waist Strap isn't going to happen, then a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag at half the current size would serve my needs for a durable bag for personal items and multiple carry options.

4. Organizer Pouches With Two O-Rings.

One at each of the top corners. That way a strap could be clipped to each ring to turn and organizer pouch into a flat purse/shoulder bag. It would be an acceptable alternative to Half-Size Packing Cube Shoulder Bag if you don't like any of my other ideas.

I'm sure you noticed that 3 of my 4 wish list items are purselike objects. As alluded to above, what works for me is to carry a large backpack or tote with a small purse inside. The large bag also carries my books and jacket and lunch and iPad or laptop - big stuff that doesn't need to come with me on every stop I might make. I change the large bag frequently, depending on what adventures I'm planning for that day, but the purse is changed less frequently and I rely on it to always have my necessaries inside.

I like my bags to match or to complement one another. It really bothers me if they don't. And while it might be possible to find a purse from another company is close to perfect, it won't match the rest of my Tom Bihn collection and I won't be content. I want my daily-carry purse to look like it belongs with my Swift, and my Synapse, and my Empire Builder, and my Western Flyer, and my Tristar, and my Aeronaut. I want a clip-on strap (sorry, Cafe Bags). I want everything to be built with the quality and attention to detail that I have come to expect from Tom Bihn bags. I've been spoiled by my Tom Bihn bags and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Thanks for providing a venue for customers to advance their ideas. It's one of the many reasons I love being a Tom Bihn customer.

Sincerely,
    Janine Hempy
    jaon likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Hi Janine! Waves from the south
    I'm sorry you didn't find purse love in the LS like I did. I do understand your dilemma. When I had diaperlings I too needed a small purse within the larger bag, now that they are out of diapers I find that I frequently end up needing to put somebody else's things in my PLO occasionally. The LS is perfect for that. The micro purse is a niche that TB could fill well. I know many more than you who would be happy to have one, and it would be a great complement to both travelers and business folk. I hope he's interested in taking your challenge.
    Janine likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post

Let's get right to it.

1. The Side Effect Sans Waist Straps.

The Side Effect is my most-used Tom Bihn bag. I love it as a small, durable purse. I can clip on a variety of straps in different configurations to carry it as a shoulder bag, a cross-body bag, an over-the-arm bag, or a wristlet. I almost always carry it inside another bag and then pull it out for quick trips. I can drop it into my backpack or the kids' diaper bag and I know I have everything I need with me.

The only thing I don't like about it is the waist strap. I have never carried my Side Effect that way and I never will; I don't have a shape that lends itself to waist-based carry. (Read: I am shaped like a sausage with no noticeable waist to strap a bag around.) I know that I can tuck them away and simply not use them, but that adds bulk and weight to a bag that could otherwise be perfect.

I'll make a confession: I have two Side Effects, and one has become an experiment. I used a stitch ripper to remove the zillions of stitches on one side seam and removed the waist strap. Then, because I was giddy and eager, I fastened the bag back together with binder clips and beheld my work. It was everything that I hoped it would be. The Side Effect is light, slim and trim without the extra webbing and fabric tucked away on the back. I dread having to pull out all those stitches on the other side, and I'm crossing my fingers that my sewing machine and sewing skills are up to snuff for reattaching the binding and layers of fabric, but I would rather carry a poorly-fixed Frankensideeffect than my perfect regular one with waist straps. (My hat is off to the bold person who actually cut the waist straps off her Side Effect. I couldn't bring myself to do that.)
    It was me. I cut those straps off right at the nylon webbing so I still have flaps tucked in the back. I did it and have never looked back! I use mine on a daily basis and those flaps have never come "un-tucked". It was the best decision ever. Sorry Tom, I just can't do the fanny pack. My fanny is big enough!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0