How Big is Too Big - Ego/Super Ego
Im sitting here still waiting for my first bags to arrive. I know they will be perfect for what I plan to use them for (Swift - knitting bag, LCB - everyday, Citizen Canine - puppy class) but I still need a bag for taking to dog shows. This means it needs to carry the everyday basics (wallet, phone, iPad) plus the mountain of (non dog specific) crap (I think) I need at the show. Snacks, magazines, small knitting project, maybe a book, you name it, I've probably taken it to a show....
I though I was going to get an Imago to replace my Lexie Barnes Superstar that has benn filling the role for the past 7 years but I sat down the other day and seriously evaluated what I liked about the SuperStar and I realized as much as I love the look of the Imago, I won't be happy with it (in this role).
1) It needs to stand up on its own. Most Important Requirement. When not being carried it will sit on top of a dog crate and be my portable office/kitchen/suitcase/library.
2) It needs a place (preferably not inside the bag) for a water or soda bottle.
3) Must have an easy to get to (without zippers or fasteners) place for my iPhone in a ginormous Otterbox Defender(I drop my phone a LOT - so I Love my big ugly Defender).
4) Needs a pocket on the outside for slipping papers in quickly.
5) Needs a place for me to put my keys so I can actually find them later. (Yes, I'm one of THOSE people.)
6) Must have more than one large compartment. It makes me crazy to have too much stuff in one big bag.
7) I need to be able to carry it while also managing 1 or 2 dogs on their leashes.
The Superstar performed perfectly in regards to requirements 1, 2, 3 and 4, failed miserably in regards to 5, 6 and 7.
So I started looking at the Ego and Super Ego. Now I'm stuck on size. The Superstar is a big bag but I never thought of it as huge. Imagine my surprise when I realized it may be bigger than the Ego (which I originally ruled out as too big). I can't find any volume size for the SuperStar but it's measurements are: 17 x 12.5 x 6.5. (that 6.5" depth is a bit deceiving as it significantly narrows towards the top, an annoying feature)
The Ego is 15.3 x 13.3 x 6.3 (narrower, taller, less deep than my SS)
The Super Ego is 17 x 14.5 x 6.75 (same width, taller, slightly deeper than the SS)
Do the Egos narrow their depth at the top? It's hard to tell even given the multitude of pictures and reviews I have been poring over.
I am 5'8" and female. I keep reading things that imply the Super Ego will be too big for me. (Honest, my pink, black and White SS does not seem that big to me!)
I really wish the Egos came in some "pretty" colors, but the functionality is most important. I'm not adverse to the cost, my SuperStar was almost as much as the Ego, and it was purchased 7 years ago. Other than a torn mesh water bottle pocket, it still looks like new and (while it has not done any air travel) its logged tens of thousands of car miles, been from Texas, to South Dakota, to Maryland, to California, benn rained on, snowed on, been in dust storms and spent many many hours sitting on the dirt floor of countless fairgrounds.
Wow, this got long and I'm not sure I really said much!
Bottom line is, I do think the quality and durability of a TB bag is what I want. And i think the Ego/Super Ego is the right configuration. I'm just totally perplexed on size. Input desired.