Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Ristretto has been updated

Well, after seeing the pics of the updated Ristretto, I have to say I'm impressed. The open top front pocket of the previous design concerned me a bit with items falling out if the bag tipped over, as my SuperEgo currently does. The new update will alleviate that problem. After hearing rumors about a redesign, I was hoping the built-in PC/iPad pocket would morph into something like the Cadet with its sliding Cache on Gatekeeper clips so it could be removable and thus giving more room if no PC/iPad is carried. I stlll say overall the Ristretto, if made like the Cadet, could replace the Cafe design (iPad=SCB, MBA 11=MCB, MBA 13=LCB) and be more flexible but that's just me. Hats off to Tom and crew for the excellent work!

The ballistic looks very sexy in this new design. Too bad steel/UV didn't make the lineup, it is my preferred alternative when I can't get my fix in Plum Cordura.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Very nice, this newly designed Ristretto! Well done!
    Imao likes this.
    Karl

well I am completely undecided which way to go. The new Ristretto is nice although I'm not sure about the jump to the ballistic nylon - I get the impression from hubby's empire builder that the ballistic is a much stiffer fabric and I rather like the softness of my SCB. Do you think an Air and an iPad will fit in here? For me the pros are that:

- its north/south (and I suspect I am a north/south bag person as I hardly use my Imago),
    - its a very neat/tight package that I know will fit my stuff perfectly and closely resemble my beloved SCB when its on my shoulder

And the cons are
    - the colours (I really wanted black/iberian - not sure about steel),
    - the delay (end of April is a long time to last without a laptop bag - although I've been paralysed by indecision since Christmas anyway!!)
    - the fact that without a separate cache, my Air will ONLY be able to travel in this bag and not in my Little Swift

My alternative is a Cadet but I am a little worried about the east/west issue.

And a final issue is, if all goes well, that it looks like I am in the market for a nappy bag again (might have to give that thread a bump pardon the pun).....

Of course, I still have 7 months and an interstate trip in which to thoroughly enjoy a Ristretto or a Cadet and I think the new Ristretto makes choosing between the 2 a tough call.
    Last edited by Vanper; 01-30-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    dorayme likes this.

Just saw the new Ristretto design. I'd been thinking about buying the Ristretto for a while, but had reservations. The new zippered section, and the Navy/solar combination, has completely sealed the deal for me!!!!
    I think I'm only days away from experiencing 'Tom Bihn Anticipation Syndrome' again. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanper View Post
    well I am completely undecided which way to go. The new Ristretto is nice although I'm not sure about the jump to the ballistic nylon - I get the impression from hubby's empire builder that the ballistic is a much stiffer fabric and I rather like the softness of my SCB. Do you think an Air and an iPad will fit in here? For me the pros are that:

- its north/south (and I suspect I am a north/south bag person as I hardly use my Imago),
    - its a very neat/tight package that I know will fit my stuff perfectly and closely resemble my beloved SCB when its on my shoulder

And the cons are
    - the colours (I really wanted black/iberian - not sure about steel),
    - the delay (end of April is a long time to last without a laptop bag - although I've been paralysed by indecision since Christmas anyway!!)
    - the fact that without a separate cache, my Air will ONLY be able to travel in this bag and not in my Little Swift

My alternative is a Cadet but I am a little worried about the east/west issue.

And a final issue is, if all goes well, that it looks like I am in the market for a nappy bag again (might have to give that thread a bump pardon the pun).....

Of course, I still have 7 months and an interstate trip in which to thoroughly enjoy a Ristretto or a Cadet and I think the new Ristretto makes choosing between the 2 a tough call.
    With my 13" Ristretto, I can easily fit my 13" MBA and a 1st gen iPad in it. You shouldn't have any problems there. I feel like the Cadet is a much bigger bag in comparison to the Ristretto. Incidentally, my Cadet sees more much action due to it being an east/west bag.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Congratulations Vanper!!!! If you are going through anything like what I did, indecision is just a symptom. It should pass.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I noticed it today on Twitter and immediately put in a pre-order for a 11" MBA one in Forest/Steel. I have no doubt it'll hold both my MBA and iPad. I loved, loved my older Ristretto for the iPad 1, but it got gifted to one of my best friends when I sold her that iPad. The zippered pocket was what sold me on it. I'm so glad I waited to get another messenger.

I also love my husband. I ordered the forest/steel Ristretto (it'll match my Synapse), a microfiber cloth and upgraded to the Absolute Strap.

"Honey!" I called into the other room. "I'm going to spend $160 on a new bag. You OK with that?"

"Sure!"

<3 Granted, I haven't purchased any new bags or purses since I got my Synapse last March. So I think it's time to get my Bihn for the year!

I bet I can get a small stuff sack with knitting in that small compartment, too. I was able to on the first Synapse.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

I'm looking forward to seeing more user photos of the bag! I love my Linen-coloured one, and am still not wholly sure about the zipper part!
    Imao likes this.
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad Ristretto Aeronaut Synapse Lg Shop Bag lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    Flickr Blog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

I'm really in love with the new ristretto and changed my December order for the old one in the 11" MBA in black/steel. Don't know why the have no steel/solar or black/Iberia - these would have been my favorites. Hard to wait till April when the bag will be delivered to me in Europe...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Photos of the Ristretto for iPad in all six color combinations are up! You can see Steel/Iberian, Navy/Solar, and Forest/Steel on the blog.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Question about colors....I want to purchase the new ristretto but the color combos are not my faves... We all have our preferences and I know it is impossible to make every color combo and still be profitable.

So here is the question....will new colors come out for the new ristretto? Are colors added only when the bag is redesigned? Or do they change colors on a fixed time schedule per bag? What I want to avoid is choosing a color that isnt my top pick and then two weeks later my favorite color is suddenly available.

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0