Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By AVService

Thread: Cordura vs Nylon

dlg

Cordura vs Nylon

My wife gave me a Ristretto for my iPad as an early Christmas gift, and so... you know. I need another. But I'm wondering about color in the nylon vs the cordura. Does anyone have a steel colored bag in both nylon and cordura they could put in the same picture?

Thanks!

Hi dlg

The Ristretto is only available in the Cordura.
    Here are some pics of the 500 denier Cordura steel of the inside of my MCB & the Steel ballistic nylon of my Co-Pilot & Imago. I believe the 1000 denier Cordura will vary a little in color compared to the 500 denier Cordura.

Last edited by TXGirl; 12-18-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

dlg
    I guess I should have been more clear - I know the Ristretto is cordura only, but I worry the cordura "steel" and the nylon "steel" will be close but different enough that they look goofy together. Am I being silly?

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    The steel Cordura has less sheen, and almost a greenish hue to it compared to the Ballistic steel. I have carried my steel Cordura and steel ballistic items together before. Here's a picture of the two side by side, my Western Flyer and Utility Tote.

Whether or not you feel silly carrying the two side by side is probably a personal thing. The two are not a perfect match. Of course I haven't braved carrying my cork Swift and Cork LS together either for fear of looking silly, lol. I had to get a Cordura Swift to solve that problem
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Dorayme - I am in awe of, and humbled by, your TB collection!

I have the medium cafe bag in steel cordura and the Tristar in steel ballistic nylon. I love both colors, but not together. The cordura is a 'warmer' slightly greenish, slightly warm-taupish gray, and the ballistic steel is a 'cooler' to 'neutral' charcoal gray. I find myself going with a more contrasting big bag when I'm toting the medium cafe bag as an extra 'personal item.' So it depends how you feel about colors that are close but not matching. (I spend yesterday afternoon at a frameshop picking colored mats to go around a photo and kept rejecting suggested mats: "No, that's more of a taupy tan compared to the tan in the photo; no, that one is a bit more of an aqua blue than the sky blue in the photo." Drove the framer nuts, I think.)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

dlg
    Thanks, flitcraft. I'm the same way with close-but-not-quite colors. Sigh. I'm beginning to lust after an aeronaut but the Mrs gets upset when I start eyeing black bags. This is why she bought me a steel ristretto...

All I know now is that I "Need" a Steel Co-Pilot to match my Tri-Star!

Thanks a lot!

Yup Ed, I am holding off (barely!) on a Co-Pilot because I cannot get one to match my Crimson Tristar...at least that is what I am currently trying to convince myself of!

dlg
    I resolved to buy a Citizen Canine in steel to get a feel for the color .... only to find the steel ones are backordered until February. Foiled again.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0