Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By jeffmac

Thread: My Synapse Won't Stand Up

My Synapse Won't Stand Up

I have used my ultraviolet dyneema synapse for almost a year now, I use it every day. But I am always trying to get it to stand up when I put it down, and it falls over. Should I just stop trying to make it stand and accept the fact that it won't, or am I packing it incorrectly? Does anyone else have this problem? This is my first backpack, so maybe this is how backpacks are meant to be. Thank you,

Linda

Linda, Dyneema is not as structured as Cordura or other fabrics, so if the Synapse is packed lightly, it may slouch. If what you are describing is the Synapse tipping over, it sounds like you need to pack more weight on the base and towards the back.

I have the Synapse in Black/Steel and sometimes it will sit up quite nicely but other times I have had it not only fall over but totally flip onto the floor. It seems to have a lot to do with the way it is packed -- it seems to prefer heavy/larger items lower and to the rear. One thing I have noticed, is that my full 25 oz. water bottle in the water bottle pocket, does not seem to throw it off balance and in fact it seems to stand up better with the bottle in the pocket.
    Smart Alec (Black/Steel/Steel), Brain Cell (size 5), Super Ego (Black/Black/Steel), Synapse (Black/Steel), Dyneema Organizer Pouch (Steel), Travel Tray (Steel), 2011 Mystery Gift (Cork), 2012 Mystery Gift (Navy/Nordic), Organizer Wallet (Navy), Kit (Steel), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Steel), Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouch (Med.), Gate Keeper Straps, 2013 Mystery Gift

ams123, I feel your pain. I'd love my Syanpse to stand up on its own. It just doesn't, for me anyway. Here's my fix, I "prop" it up by putting stuff in the bottom pocket towards the front. I usually have a rolled up Shop bag, a package of kleenex and my coffee kit in the bottom pocket. I put the Shop Bag close to the zipper and the kleenex and coffee kit proping it up.

Also, as others have said put your heaviest items, for me its my Field Journal, in the main section at the bottom and next to the back. My Kit goes in front of the Field Journal. This spreads the bottom out a bit and makes the bottom a little more flat. Most of the time packing my Synapse properly keeps it standing up on its own.

This is true for both my Dyneema and Codura packs. Jeepers, I hope that description makes sense.
    Take care,
    Moose
    Katy likes this.
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

Moose, you just made me smile by using Jeepers as an expletive !

Scooby Doo flashback !

Thanks everyone, I'll try repacking. The heaviest things I carry are my notebook (an actually notebook - the paper kind) and my kindle. And the water bottle in front.

I have also had it fall off the counter onto the floor, kjm.

I think putting something on the bottom to keep it flat could help also.

Linda

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0