Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need a squishy bag that unsquishes nicely

Need a squishy bag that unsquishes nicely

All:

Just got a Brain Bag to replace my old day pack. Right now, the Brain Bag is holding an iPad2 (in a Waterfield iPad Travel Express), a bunch of books, pens, a notebook, my jacket, etc., etc. I won't generally carry all this, but

So...I'm using the Brain Bag as a day pack (yeah, it's kind of large, not _that_ large), but I would like something smaller to carry just the following: the iPad (in Waterfield case), a notebook (legal-size), pens, a few textbooks, and (maybe) a Kindle.

Here's the catch: the smaller bag should squish up nicely in either my checked luggage or my carry-on (Brain Bag) so I can use it when I get to where I'm going. It should also un-squish without damage. Note: when I travel, the Brain Bag will carry iPad, Kindle, and a few changes of clothing (you do remember the last time an airline lost your luggage, right?).

So...advice? (And...thanks in advance for the advice!)

Volunteer Moderator
    It sounds like the Synapse or Co-Pilot, both in their Dyneema versions, are the bags for you.
    Lani likes this.

I second that!

I agree. I have both the Synapse and the Co-Pilot, and I think both would work very well. Now it comes down to a decision on capacity, I believe. If you want maximum capacity for your day bag, I think the Synapse would be your best bet because you can get more into that bag. However, I think the dyneema version of the Co-Pilot would take up much less space when you store it in your brain bag. You could easily get your iPad and Kindle in the Co-Pilot, but probably only one change of clothes, as that bag is quite narrow at the bottom.
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Cafe bags are very squishy! I only have small and medium, but I think the large should fit your listed items quite well.

Thanks, everyone. It really looks like I'll go for the large cafe bag; it just seems the right thing. Unless I go for the Co-Pilot. Hard to make up my mind when the choices are equally good.

But first, I've found that my Brain Bag, while probably ideal for traveling (I'll find out early next year), is a little too large to use as a day pack. So my next purchase is probably a Smart Alec...

But anyway, thanks again!

Cafe Bags would be great!

I'd recommend a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but your notebook would be too big to fit in it (your iPad will fit, though).

If you're willing to look at a non-TB bag, though, you might want to check out Chico Bags. They started out with reusable grocery sacks, but they have a messenger bag (ChicoBag | Category | Messenger10 rePETe) that squishes down into the size of your fist, and which works great for carrying stuff around.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Thanks, Lani, that looks good too. I'm thinking largely of going with the Tom Bihn bag because I think it'll be something I use over and over, so durability is an issue and...(pause for breath)...oh, I forgot what I was going to say. Oh, yeah, I want this carrier bag to fill a lot of needs, not just iPad and book portage. So...I'm thinking probably the large Cafe Bag.

Apropos of nothing, I wanted to say how much I like the Freudian Slip -- seems from most posts it's a pretty under-rated accesory. Now, back to our scheduled issue....

Quote Originally Posted by dougmon View Post
    Right now, the Brain Bag is holding an iPad2 (in a Waterfield iPad Travel Express)...
    If I may ask, how do you like the Waterfield case for the iPad?
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post

I am interested in the answer to this question, too!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wait...hold the phone...the Dyneema Synapse is squishy? How squishy? Squishy like the Shop Bags?

This could change everything.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

No, the Dyneema Synapse is not as squishy as the shop bags, primarily because the part that touches your back on the Synapse is padded. I guess it's better described as "easy to flatten."
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Hmm. Still...that changes some things.

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post

I like it quite a bit. It's got four small interior pockets to hold various stuff; I only use them for the power brick/cord. It also holds an Apple wireless keyboard, which is nice, and the iPad is held between two panels of some stiff material. Be aware though, that it takes up a bit of room. If I carry it in my LCB, it takes up just a bit less than three-quarters of the space in the main compartment.

The con: I don't think it's totally waterproof, but I haven't put it to the test. I'd like if it had a pocket (or something like an organizer pouch) to hold the keyboard. But as a carry-all for the iPad and accessories, it's a winner.

Note: I have thought of replacing it, but every time I use it, I think "Why replace it? Works fine."

The Waterfield iPad wallet does have a separate spot for the wireless keyboard in addition to the spot for the iPad. It's a bit smaller than the other case but still will take up a good chunk of space in your LCB. It also will hold the charger and cord and a few other odds and ends. Neither case is waterproof but they are water resistant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0