Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Katy
  • 2 Post By keb

Thread: Guardian dual-function light -- anyone used it for sea kayaking?

Guardian dual-function light -- anyone used it for sea kayaking?

This question is a bit of a shot-in-the-dark, but given that TB and many of its followers are located in Seattle, I thought I'd try. I'm looking into getting a few of the Guardian lights to use while sea kayaking, probably clipped to the front and back side of my PFD (life vest). I see that the description on the Guardian's product page says that it is waterproof, but has anyone here had any personal experience with immersion of this light? Additionally, does anyone know how this light and its housing holds up after being in/near salt water for extended periods of time?

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide!

Hey Yeti!

I just dropped a Guardian Dual Function Light into a glass of water. It's been sitting on my desk for about five minutes now. I'm not sure about salt water but I think it would be fine .
    Trupti likes this.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

keb
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Hey Yeti!

I just dropped a Guardian Dual Function Light into a glass of water. It's been sitting on my desk for about five minutes now. I'm not sure about salt water but I think it would be fine .
    We'll be looking forward to your full dive report...
    yeti and Katy like this.
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Thanks, Katy! Wow, an actual test of an actual light! Glad to hear that the seal looked watertight. Out of curiosity, did you leave the light on while underwater?

As for the salt water, there's only one way to find out...do you have any table salt there (just kidding!)?

Quote Originally Posted by yeti View Post
    Thanks, Katy! Wow, an actual test of an actual light! Glad to hear that the seal looked watertight. Out of curiosity, did you leave the light on while underwater?

As for the salt water, there's only one way to find out...do you have any table salt there (just kidding!)?
    I did leave the light on while it was under water .

That's a lot of table salt! I could give it a try.. or I could go grab some water from the sound.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.