Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kb19
  • 4 Post By Darcy

Thread: Smartphone/iPhone Organizer Wallet?

Smartphone/iPhone Organizer Wallet?

Was looking at smartphone cases online and thought I'd see how my iphone 4 or android phone fit into one of my Tom Bihn pouches. They are slightly too big for a mini, and a small was overkill.

Then I thought how nice it would be to have a wallet with a clear side in which to carry my iphone and a few credit cards and some cash. One item to take with me (instead of a phone and a wallet) and from the clear side, I could see incoming calls and texts.

So how about a clear organizer wallet that is 1/2" wider (6.5") with more svelte closure system (flatter zipper head) and more narrow edges (say 1/8" instead of the current 3/8") and it would be the ultimate front pocket wallet.
    MrsT likes this.

Last edited by 123veo; 10-31-2011 at 02:55 PM.

I'm currently reviewing this iPhone wallet from Waterfield. I think this is kind of like what you're talking about?

Smile

This one from Big Skinny looks interesting, too, but I wish Tom Bihn would come up with one.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tom actually made a prototype similar to what you're describing about four months ago and has been testing it since then. We aren't sure when it will be available for order.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I would LOVE to see Tom's take on this!

Ooo, I would love to see that, too!

(Sorry I've been so quiet lately . . . going back to school is harder when you're not a teenager . . . )

I've used the Sena iPhone WalletSkin cases, and they were perfect when I worked in a building with DataWatch on every.single.door, but it can't carry coins.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black Side Effects, steel/ultraviolet Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/ultraviolet (C) & steel/ultraviolet (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

I'd love some sort of Tom Bihn-specific shoulder-strap add-on (hyphens everywhere!) that would work with a smartphone, or a smartphone + case.

I have a BookBook on the way from twelve south to use as my iPhone, small cash & subway card holder. (Bank card, CC card, larger bills safety stored in a clear organizer wallet in my bag)
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    FlickrBlog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

123veo - I've looked at that wallet on Etsy as well as a couple of others. The leather ones would afford more protection and certainly look nice in the pictures, but I'd prefer having a thinner wallet to fit more readily in a pocket and achieve the protection by using a very thin case (the ones from magpul are well made and add very little bulk).

jeffmac - I've looked at the Waterfield/SFBags wallet and well and it is definitely the closest I've seen to what I'm describing. They do assume you won't be using a case and so include a hard sheet in the wallet to separate the phone from the card/cash area. I'm assuming they also must cover this sheet with some sort of material. That's a lot of extra bulk for what is likely minimal protection. Also their wallet is leather (thicker and heavier than nylon) and looks to be rather large. If Tom doesn't come up with something, I'll likely get one of the Waterfield ones though there's a review on youtube which makes me hesitate because they review mentions that it is a bit too long (to easily fit into a pocket).

I'm not one to carry a big wallet (3 cards + ID + a few bills of cash), but since I do carry my phone around, I'm looking for a minimal, lightweight design that allows me to see, and minimally use, the screen of the phone. I'd be really interesting to see Tom's prototype. I used a mini pouch as a wallet in Europe as my normal wallet did do well with the size of Euro bills as well as having to deal with those 1, 2, and 5 euro coins. I did find the mini pouch to be slightly awkward as the bills would often get caught by the zipper due to the height of the bills even when folded. Optimally, the zipper would be along the edge as in the Waterfield/SF Bags wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by kb19 View Post
    Was looking at smartphone cases online and thought I'd see how my iphone 4 or android phone fit into one of my Tom Bihn pouches. They are slightly too big for a mini, and a small was overkill.

Then I thought how nice it would be to have a wallet with a clear side in which to carry my iphone and a few credit cards and some cash. One item to take with me (instead of a phone and a wallet) and from the clear side, I could see incoming calls and texts.

So how about a clear organizer wallet that is 1/2" wider (6.5") with more svelte closure system (flatter zipper head) and more narrow edges (say 1/8" instead of the current 3/8") and it would be the ultimate front pocket wallet.
    I second this request. I was keeping my phone, wallet, lip balm, and car key in a clear pouch, but my problem is the car key. It's not really a key, it is a fob (for a Prius) and it measures 2" x 1.5" x .5". Just too bulky to fit in a pouch with my nice slim skinny wallet and my android phone with the extended battery. I need something a big wider and less flat.

Here's a nice handmade iPhone wallet--made in USA, too. I'm definitely planning on picking up one of the regular wallets for myself at some point; I miss having a leather billfold.

Quote Originally Posted by kb19 View Post
    I've gotten my iPhone 4 to fit in a Dyneema mini pouch. Can't use a thick case, though.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Have you guys looked at the iPhone wallets from Timbuk2? I realize they're a direct competitor to Tom Bihn for some things, but:

Mission Cycling Wallet - Timbuk2 Bags

Got a clear window so you can see, and it's sized for an iPhone.

Flip Out Case for the iPhone - Timbuk2 Bags

Flipout case works well if you strap it onto a bag strap (like a messenger bag).

Shagg Bag - Timbuk2 Bags

Probably my favorite out of the bunch, the Shagg is basically a zippered wallet that fits your iPhone, looks like a wallet, and has a velcro flap that you can use to stick it on your bag strap. The main compartment is lined with soft furry fabric to protect your gadget. It also has a small pocket in the front that I'm not sure if it will fit credit cards (I'm thinking yes, but I don't own one, and I don't remember how big it is).

Those are a couple of options, anyway.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0