Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Walker

Thread: Suggestions for a Tom Bihn gym bag?

Suggestions for a Tom Bihn gym bag?

Ahh, Tom Bihn products are so obsessive. I feel like I'm collecting trading cards.

It started with the co-pilot and now I'm mulling either an Aeronaut or Tristar for travel. How about for the gym?

Any recommendations for what TB bag people recommend for the gym?

I guess the most logical choices would be either the Smart Alec or Synapse. Does anyone who owns these have any insights on if they make good gym bags? Alternatively, if I am not thinking outside the box, are there other bags I should consider?

I typically carry a change of clothes, water bottle, a pair of shoes, swim trunks, flip flops, and a heart rate monitor watch.

Eliam often uses his Synapse as a gym bag, it appears to work quite well for him! Based on the items you listed, I think it will work well for you too .
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

How easy is it turn a Synapse inside out? My gym bag tends to get a bit funky and I need to air it out often. IMHO, easy access for cleaning is a must in a gym bag.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
    How easy is it turn a Synapse inside out? My gym bag tends to get a bit funky and I need to air it out often. IMHO, easy access for cleaning is a must in a gym bag.
    It's quite easy. I'm able to do it, which means it's very easy. However, I don't think turning it inside out will be necessary. The best way to defunkify your Synapse or Gym Bag will be in a quick wash with Mirazyme. It does WONDERS for removing odd smells from your bags .
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I use a shop bag (the Steel small or the large, depending on how much I am carrying) - easy to wash (handwash), easy to dry. Lock and street shoes in one pocket (I wear the gym shoes going to the gym). Water bottle in the other pocket. Keys clipped to one O-Ring. TB Organizer Wallet (with gym card, ID clipped to another O-Ring. Open top airs out clothes while in my car trunk.

I agree about the large shop bag - don't have to overdo it!

Couple of things about using the shop bag to take to the gym. First off, what are the handle lengths on these like? I know the spec says 19" and 26" but in reality how does that length compare to how far down the bag drags down. My problem is I am 5'5 and frequently with these ecobags (from the grocery stores, etc) the handles are so long that they result in the bag dragging on the ground. I typically have to hold them higher to prevent this. If the short bag's handles dont cause it to droop too much I might consider using it. However, I am still hesitant about it because of the open cavity. I fear things might fall out (ie ipod/headphones). Nonetheless I am curious about how the small shop bag works on shorter folk. Anyone out there have any pictures of the short bag fitted on someone 5'5 or shorter?

Thanks!

Aparrado -- the large shop bags are pretty big. I'm 5'3" and they *almost* drag on the floor. That said, the handles are pretty long, so you can carry it over your shoulder like a tote bag pretty easily.

I just got a Synapse and I'm able to use it for a gym bag just fine. That said, if you're looking for something real lightweight, I'd go with either the large shop bag, or a Packing Cube Backpack (the one for the Western Flyer/Tri-STar). Both of them can easily fit everything! Your shoes, all your clothes, etc.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I'm 5'3" and the small shop bag does not drag - it hits about halfway between my knee and the ground. An organizer pouch (with or without the keystrap) would keep your ipod and headphones secure. Without the keystrap, just tuck it in to one of the interior side pockets. Some of us use a keystrap to clip to the o-rings on the opposing sides to keep it "closed." I usually figure things won't just spill out that way.

I'm 5'2" and my large shop bags do not drag.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I am short - under 5'. I carry the shop bags on my shoulder.

The shop bags are meant to be carried on your shoulder. I think only the tallest people can carry the shop bag hanging from their hands.

I would buy a version of the shop bag with short, short handles to carry by hand.

Back on topic:

The pockets are deep. I have not dropped anything I put in them. The organizer pouches (buy in addition to shop bag) clip to the o-rings. I usually just clip an organizer wallet with my gym card & driver's license to one of the o-rings. On days when I bring wallet, phone, humungous sunglasses in addition to regular eyeglasses, I put them in a large organizer pouch - clip that to one of the o-rings. Keeps everything secure & separate from clothes. The packing cube shoulder bag tethered to the shop bag with a key strap is also good gor this purpose. I use either the large organizer pouch or the packing cube shoulder bag depending on how much I am bringing with me. I also use the large stuff sack (all fabric) to carry wet towel.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0