Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MsMoon
  • 1 Post By aparrado

Thread: Question re: Aeronaut / Western Traveller / Tristar Capacities w/ Cubes

Question re: Aeronaut / Western Traveller / Tristar Capacities w/ Cubes

Greetings everyone. I'm new here but I've already ordered a black/steel co-pilot (awaiting arrival) along with an assortment of dyneema organizer pouches (all sizes) and a couple of key straps. I'm eagerly awaiting this bag as I plan to replace my current Timbuk2 XS messenger bag with this bag for use as my day bag. In it I hope to store an ipad, kindle, a large moleskine notebook, as well as my phone, ipod, and possibly a lunch (if I can fit it - will see when it arrives).

My co-pilot order made me think about possibly replacement my standard carry-on with possibly some Tim Bihn luggage. Before I do that though I wanted to ask a few questions about the larger Tom Bihn carry-ons.

To start with, I've always been a wheeled luggage guy. I currently am using a Tumi Int'l Business carry-on, 20", and I couldn't be any happier with the way its worked out for me. I use it in conjunction with an assortment of 7 or 8 assorted size packing cubes from Eagle Creek which allow me to pack a RIDICULOUS amount of clothes within it. My last trip was 2 weeks and I still had clothes left over. That being said I tend to be a major overpacker (packing 2-3 shirts per day). I tend to roll all my clothes in the cubes to maximize space.

With that background, can someone let me know what bag would be an ideal fit for maximizing the amount of carry-on items while allowing me to keep it organized in either my Eagle Creek cubes or Tom Bihn cubes. With the Tumi's square shape its easy to see how the cubes fit together in one large cavernous compartment but in all the TB bags there are so many different compartments and different possible arrangements its hard to see how the cubes fit in the bag or how many of each will fit. Can anyone who uses the TB cubes in conjunction with TB bags know which bag holds the most of these as well as what arrangement they go in? Lastly, are Tom Bihn cubes comparable to Eagle Creek cubes in terms of size/quality? If possible, I'd like to keep using my Eagle Creek cubes since those were pricey and quite an investment already.

Thanks in advance for any / all replies.

All the possibilities is what makes Tom Bihn bags so great!

Flickr: tombihninc's Photostream

and Customer Pictures & Video

as well as Packing Lists

Being able to see all the possibilities with the Aeronaut will give you a general idea of its size.

It would be helpful if you shared with us your body type as in, are you petite, tall, of girth or not...

Do you plan to carry on or check your Aeronaut/

What kind of airline you fly most often flagship or discounted?

I am sure others will think of many other info which could be useful to you.

Hope this help!
    Last edited by backpack; 10-30-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

It would be helpful if you shared with us your body type as in, are you petite, tall, of girth or not...

Do you plan to carry on or check your Aeronaut/

What kind of airline you fly most often flagship or discounted?

I am sure others will think of many other info which could be useful to you.

Hope this help!
    Thank you for the links, I've reviewed them thoroughly but I'm still nebulous about the interior capacities. I dont see alot of pictures with TB cubes or any other cubes being used so its hard to get an idea of max capacity with these. I see lots of exterior shots and it looks great on the outside but I'm wondering how many of these wonderful cubes (if filled to capacity) these bags will actually be capable of holding. Ie two per compartment or whatnot. It looks like they hold quite a bit but my ocd regarding organization requires me to use cubes for packing. Given this constraint, how much capacity do the bags hold.

I'm male, short in stature (5"5") and slim. I weigh around 135 lbs on average. I was hoping to use it as a carry on bag, I've been trying to do more carry on lately to avoid fees and what not.

I typically fly US Airways as they maintain a strong presence at DCA which is my neighborhood airport.

The Aeronaut large compartment can hold 2 large (13.5 x 13.5 x 4.25"), 1 large and 2 small (13.5 x 6.75 x 4.25") or 4 small. Each end compartment is designed to take an End Packing Cube (13.5 x 8 x 3.25"). The large compartment, thus, is 13.5 x 13.5 x8.5".

I typically use one (overstuffed) large packing cube in the main compartment, as well as odds and ends and sometimes my 13" laptop. My small packing cube either goes in the main compartment with the large one or in the end pocket (I know, the one designed for the end pocket would fit better!).

I don't have any experience with the Tristar, but here are the specs on those cubes: Tri-Star cube dimensions:
    Small Packing Cubes:
    12.8 x 7.4 x 2.3" (325 x 188 x 60mm)
    Medium Packing Cube:
    12.8 x 11.3 x 2.3" (325 x 288 x 60mm)
    Large Packing Cube:
    18.7 x 12.8 x 2.3" (475 x 325 x 60mm)

The Overall dimensions are: 19" x 13" x 8" / 480 x 330 x 205mm, and the three compartments are equal in width (2.3").

I know several people have had success using non-Tom Bihn branded packing cubes, but you would have to know their size and compare them with the above numbers.

Since you've done well with your 20" rolling luggage, I would guess that a comparable size would be the Tristar. The volume is 33 liters, compared to the Aeronaut's 45 liters. However, the Aeronaut does have the larger open space that you're used to.
    Darcy likes this.

Here's the link where I got most of the above information.
    In the Aeronaut:

Large Packing Cube: Use two (stacked one on top of the other), or one plus two Small Packing Cubes.

Small Packing Cube: Use four (stacked one on top of the other, or interlocking like bricks), or two plus one Large Packing Cube.

End Pocket Packing Cube: One fills each end pocket, or four can fill the main compartment, like books on a shelf.
    Note: The End Pocket Packing Cube is available in either Fabric/Fabric or Fabric/Mesh. The mesh version allows you to easily see what's inside while the fabric version keeps items like shoes separate from other items.

In the Tri-Star:

Small Packing Cube: Use one Small by itself or with a Medium in any of the three main compartments.
    Note: The Small Packing Cube is available in either Fabric/Fabric or Fabric/Mesh. The mesh version allows you to easily see what's inside while the fabric version keeps items like shoes separate from other items.

Medium Packing Cube: Use one Medium by itself or with a Small in any of the three main compartments.

Large Packing Cube: Use one in any of the three main compartments.

Here are some additional shots of the bags with packing cubes in them:
    Tristar
    Aeronaut

Quote Originally Posted by MsMoon View Post
    Here are some additional shots of the bags with packing cubes in them:
    Tristar
    Aeronaut
    MsMoon thank you so much for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for and it has addressed my initial concerns about capacity. I'll have to ponder which best suits my needs and order accordingly. Of course I would rather love to have both but I should be patient

MsMoon, thank you very much for this info. It's exactly the information I was looking for. I'm now at ease regarding the capacity of each of these bags. I will ponder which bag best suits my needs and order accordingly. Thanks for the input.
    MsMoon likes this.

Just FYI: I can fit a size 15 Eagle Creek packing sleeve into the Western Flyer. I suspect that a size 18 would fit into the Tri-Star.

Quote Originally Posted by aparrado View Post
    I will ponder which bag best suits my needs and order accordingly.
    Let us know what you decide!

Here is a link to a post I made about my first TriStar packing.
    I use Eagle Creek Cubes too so it may give a good visual about the capacities?

The bag will hold more than I want to carry for sure.

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/custom...-ready-go.html

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0