Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lotuseater

Thread: Large Cafe bag & strap

Large Cafe bag & strap

Forgive me if this has been covered but I couldn't find it anywhere. Is it possible to put an Absolute strap on a Large Cafe bag? I seem to remember they're interchangeable and it appears to be in the photo. I just didn't see mention of it in the text portion of the bag's page. I have a vague recollection of reading some forum posts that said they are no longer interchangeable but I could be confused.
    Thanks,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Yes, you can replace the standard shoulder strap on the LCB with an absolute strap. You will need to remove the hardware on the absolute strap. Maverick, of course, has a video on how to do so.

Volunteer Moderator
    you can also specify that you want the absolute shoulder strap (or standard shoulder strap or the q-am shoulder strap) when you order the large cafe bag.

this is only possible with the large cafe bag - not with the small or medium cafe bag.

I would recommend the Absolute Shoulder Strap on the Large Cafe Bag. Having owned a couple of Medium Cafe Bags before I purchased the LCB, I was skeptical of the need. Within a few days' use of the LCB I was glad I ordered it with the Absolute Strap. The extra capacity demanded to be filled with more and heavier items. A Standard Shoulder Strap would have been much less comfortable.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Thanks everyone, I have an Absolute strap I use with my Western Flyer and I love it. A steel/ultraviolet Tri Star is next on my list. I'm looking for something that will squish down into the middle section for as needed for true one bag travel. I want to travel with one bag and have the large Cafe Bag for daily excursions. Now if you could offer guidance to the best color I'd be all set.
    Thanks again,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

If I understand you correctly, you want to swap the Absolute Strap between the Tri-Star and the LCB. You'll be forever attaching and removing the Absolute Strap's hardware in order to do so. For the extra cost of a new strap ($20 with the LCB I think), it'll be far more convenient to have a second strap.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you want to swap the Absolute Strap between the Tri-Star and the LCB. You'll be forever attaching and removing the Absolute Strap's hardware in order to do so. For the extra cost of a new strap ($20 with the LCB I think), it'll be far more convenient to have a second strap.
    I agree that swapping the absolute strap between the LCB and the Tri-Star (requires removing the hardware to us on the LCB) can become old quickly. But if only done occasionally, it could work, particularly if one were concerned with weight.

My Imago and Co-Pilot each have absolute straps. I personally find the absolute strap a bit much when my bag is not heavy. I use a simple strap on the Co-Pilot during the week (I drive to work and do not need to carry heavy things). On weekends when I load it with my Panny GH1 and its accessories + water bottle, I use the absolute shoulder strap. I also swap out the absolute strap on my Imago with a plain shoulder strap I bought at a thrift shop when I do not have much to carry in it. The hardware on the strap were gone, so I don't know what brand it is. But it fits the strap clips on the Imago perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    I would recommend the Absolute Shoulder Strap on the Large Cafe Bag. Having owned a couple of Medium Cafe Bags before I purchased the LCB, I was skeptical of the need. Within a few days' use of the LCB I was glad I ordered it with the Absolute Strap. The extra capacity demanded to be filled with more and heavier items. A Standard Shoulder Strap would have been much less comfortable.
    I had the same experience with my first Cafe Bag which happened to be a Large and I ordered with a Simple Strap. In the same order, there was an Absolute Strap with hardware for my Aeronaute. I promptly switched the Large Cafe Bag to the Absolute Strap.

The Simple Strap, used with hardware, is great for Tom Bihn smaller bags like the Breve or a stuffed Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. It is perfect for all the other bags it comes standard with.

The next size smaller is the FJN and Breve Strap, which is the same as the Simple Strap only thinner and without a shoulder pad.

The Smallest Strap is the one used with the Side Effect and 3D Clear Organizer Cube, essentially a super long and wider Key Strap.

As far as color is concerned, since you have a Black Western Flyer, any color would go with it.

I just saw that there was a Plum/Olive available Plum would coordinate with your FJN, Synapse and Side Effect and Olive with your Brain Bag.

I think its a new pairing, but even if it isn't new, it's unique!
    Last edited by backpack; 10-14-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0