Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle

Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle

Has anyone bought/used one of these bottles? Are they worth the carrying weight and/or the price? Italy in July will be hot, but is there another way to safely carry/keep water?
    Cocoa/wasabi LCB, black/wasabi MCB & SCB, steel/solar Aeronaut, Absolute Shoulder Strap, 5 packing cubes, olive Clear Organizer Wallet, turquoise & wasabi large clear organizer pouches, plum & black pen/pencil organizer pouches, 5 Clear/Cordura Organizer Pouches (mini & small/assorted colors), azalea 3-D Clear Organizer Cube, lapis blue & iberian Ultrasuede Screen Cloths, solar Travel Tray, 5 key straps (assorted lengths/colors), red/blue Strapeez, red Guardian Dual Function Light

I can't comment on the Lifefactory bottles; they do look nice but I think I share your concern about weight. They're also obviously not impervious to being dropped. I use a 16 ounce Klean Kanteen for international travel. They are large enough to hold a satisfying drink of water, yet small enough that they add negligible weight. (As you probably know, there are so many public fountains in Italian cities that it doesn't always make sense to bring along a honking huge bottle.) You can buy a cap that has a built-in carabiner.

hope this helps.

I have used my Royal Purple Lifefactory Bottle 16 oz since I got it from the factory, on Wed July 20.

On my way back home, I had an horrible cold and I know how miserable cold and air pressure make me feel.

I need to be hydrated, while on board, I ordered Ginger Ale (without ice) twice at every service, and poured it onto my Lifefactory bottle to bring it at room temperature.

I found a space plastic straw in my bag and sipped up until I feel asleep. On descent, I had still enough to sip to help ear popping.

The weight of the 16 oz bottle is negligible, very, very lightweight and the curved shape makes allows a very ergonomic grip.

A great bonus, very secure when close and it is very easy to open, a plus for people with any kind of hand pain.

I just received a second Royal Purple 16 oz bottle with my Synapse, I forgot it was in the order and I am really delighted as I wanted another.

The first has been holding Italian Soda and the Second will most likely hold milk or cold tea.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi!

i have been using the life factory bottles since they were introduced, and absolutely love them. i don't like using any other bottle. it is hard to compare the way that water tastes out of a glass bottle - using a plastic bottle, be it bpa free, does affect the taste of what you are drinking.

i've used my life factory bottles to carry water, lemonade, juice, and green smoothies, much to my satisfaction.

i can't deny that a plastic bottle may be lighter. you have to see what's right for you. i personally don't mind a little more weight that glass brings along.

I love my Lifefactory bottles! I don't find the extra weight to be an issue on short trips or in a backpack. I definitely feel it more when carrying the weight on just one shoulder for longer periods, but it's generally worth it for me. I prefer the 16oz (the larger ones aren't as comfortable in my hands and don't fit in my car's cup holders), which helps keep the weight down. Besides water tasting better out of a glass bottle, I like feeling comfortable putting other liquids in it as needed. My bottle was perfect one morning when I wanted to get (Peet's) coffee at the airport before a flight but didn't want to juggle a cup on the plane - I just ordered an iced coffee and handed over my bottle!

I have found that glass bottles get a bit more scrutiny at airport security, but I've now gotten into the habit of pulling it out in advance and placing it in a tray along with my 3D Clear Organizer Cube of liquids, which takes just a few more seconds.

After writing this, I'm realizing I should really get another 16oz bottle in my next TB order. Maybe royal purple like backpack's 2 bottles....

I have a Lifefactory bottle in red that I received from TB in February 2011, which I alternate with a 27 oz Kleen Kanteen, taking one of them with me to work daily. When I travel by plane or train, I use a 20 oz big-mouth Kleen Kanteen with a cafe cap for its smaller size and less chance of spills when drinking. I find the Lifefactory bottle feels a little heavier and bulkier than the Kleen Kanteen, both full and empty. However, the difference is not drastic and is not a big deal for my car-based commute. On the pro side, I like that the Lifefactory bottle is very easy to see when it's dirty and that the silicon wrap helps to reduce drips from condensation. On the con side, I find the cap a bit awkward to put on sometimes - it often grabs the threads on the bottle at an angle instead of straight on, leading to a crooked and non-leakproof fit. I also wish the Lifefactory bottle had a cafe cap option as I'm not found of feeling the threads of the bottle on my lips while drinking. As far as durability, I've accidentally dropped it from about desk height to a carpet floor without incident.
    Aeronaut in Black/Iberian, Synapse in Black/Iberian, Small Cafe Bag in Linen/Steel, 4Z Horizontal Cache in Black, iPad Vertical Cache in Black, 3D Organizer Cube in Steel, Large Clear Organizer in Pouch Iberian, Medium Clear Organizer Pouch in Iberian, Mini Padded Organizer Pouch in Black, Mini Organizer Pouch in Iberian, 16" Key Strap in Sapphire, 8" Key Strap in Storm

i would use these for traveling :Home page, light and they fold up to nothing. bpa free and made in the u.s.a..
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

I like my purple Lifefactory bottle but I'm a bit of a klutz sometimes and need to focus on getting the lid on straight and tight. It is excellent to clean though since I can see down to the bottom of the bottle.

In terms of keeping cold things cold, I haven't found anything that beats my CamelBak insulated bottle. CamelBak® - Better Bottle™ Stainless Insulated .5L

The weight is probably similar to the LifeFactory bottle, but the advantage of LifeFactory is no straw, which means it's easier to clean. If *cold* water matters to you, I don't think the LifeFactory bottle will make you happy. I like mine because it's glass and looks neat with the grippy stuff on the outside.

Thanks for all the information. I think for now I will pass on the LifeFactory bottle. Although I really like the look of it, and the ease of filling/cleaning, I don't particularly care for the fact that you have to take the whole top off to drink - hard to do if you're on the move. Klutzy me would end up soaking wet! (And possibly the people on either side of me too. <sigh>)
    Cocoa/wasabi LCB, black/wasabi MCB & SCB, steel/solar Aeronaut, Absolute Shoulder Strap, 5 packing cubes, olive Clear Organizer Wallet, turquoise & wasabi large clear organizer pouches, plum & black pen/pencil organizer pouches, 5 Clear/Cordura Organizer Pouches (mini & small/assorted colors), azalea 3-D Clear Organizer Cube, lapis blue & iberian Ultrasuede Screen Cloths, solar Travel Tray, 5 key straps (assorted lengths/colors), red/blue Strapeez, red Guardian Dual Function Light

I have ended up with a damp shirt-front on occasion when using my Lifefactory bottle! That's why I wish there was a "cafe cap" style cap available for the Lifefactory, even if it were an additional option like it is with the Kleen Kanteen wide-mouth series. I don't care for the "straw" or "sport cap" style covers, there too hard to clean and often whistle, so not good for use in the office.
    Aeronaut in Black/Iberian, Synapse in Black/Iberian, Small Cafe Bag in Linen/Steel, 4Z Horizontal Cache in Black, iPad Vertical Cache in Black, 3D Organizer Cube in Steel, Large Clear Organizer in Pouch Iberian, Medium Clear Organizer Pouch in Iberian, Mini Padded Organizer Pouch in Black, Mini Organizer Pouch in Iberian, 16" Key Strap in Sapphire, 8" Key Strap in Storm

This is an older thread, but I thought people may be interested. Life Factory now makes flip-top lids for their bottles, so you don't have to twist off the whole thing.

You can now buy the bottles with the regular top, or the flip top spout (it's just a spout; not the whole lid), you can purchase directory from them at their website: NEW: 16 oz Flip Cap Glass Bottles - Adult

You can buy the flip tops separately but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I was recently received as a gift one of the smaller, 16 oz (I think), Lifefactory bottles with the new flip cap. Having the flip cap is nice for drinking from the bottle at work. It's also nice that the same size lid fits the larger Lifefactory bottle that I purchased from TB last year. One word of warning, the cap does not seal tightly. It's very easy to pop the lid off the spout. If you tilt a full bottle too much it will leak.

I've been using the flip-top caps since they debuted and love them. No, it's not perfectly sealed, but I'll use the regular cap when the bottle is in the bag and switch to the flip cap when I get to class/the library/etc and take the bottle out for the duration of my stay. The regular cap just makes too much noise in quiet environments.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

I was nearly the victim of a Lifefactory bottle.
    I was sitting in the aisle row of an airplane when a woman shoved her purse and jacket into the overhead bin directly across from me. The bag wasn't really closed and her Lifefactory bottle fell out and hit my seat-back head rest and then fell into my lap. Yes. They are heavy.

(To be fair, any water bottle could have done some damage in that situation. But the glass ones are hard!)
    Last edited by snowbot; 04-20-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0