Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badger

Thread: iPad 2 in a LCB? Owner experiences?

iPad 2 in a LCB? Owner experiences?

Hey all,
    I have a question. For Christmas, I will buying my wife an iPad 2 (it's ok, she already knows she's getting one and never reads these forums...i think). She of course wants a TB bag to go with it (which, seems more like the Christmas present she'd be excited about!). Naturally, I would go for the Ristretto for the iPad, but just looking at the color selection, I know she wouldn't want any of them! The LCB offers a greater range of colors that I know she would like, but my only concern is how the iPad would fit.
    Naturally, she will have a case for it (most likely a Portenzo or just a cache) so it will be fairly protected, so that's not the issue. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this.

Let me know!

Thanks for the input,

Teacherman

The iPad 2 fits easily in the bag with plenty of room for other necessities. I have used mine to easily carry a MacBook Air in a case as well as lots of other things.

@ Teacherman I have a Portenzo and have a MCB so I think the LCB will leave plenty of room to spare. I will post pics later tonight of my Portenzo inside my MCB.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

I'm literally heading out the door for a trip, or I'd stop and take photos of my setup for you; but like TXGirl, I also use an MCB for my iPad, and there is plenty of room for it, my Apple wireless keyboard, a folding stand, a stylus, and also a notebook, Pencil Organizer Bag, and most of the stuff from my purse. I also considered the Ristretto, but I liked the variety of colors available in the Cafe bags so much better. Does she like the new Azalea or the new Turquoise? I think you'd also want to get her a Cache for her iPad, and maybe some keystraps and Organizer Pouches—but I'm wondering if the LCB might be too large.

So would you say the lcb would be more of a man bag, and the mcb more of a purse? I think she'd like turquoise or plum...azalea seems to be a little too pink for her liking. I'll have to really evaluate the colors...thanks guys!

MCB is a great choice for iPad, with "proof"

I just received an Azalea MCB and my iPad fits perfectly with room to spare for purse items. I think unless she loves large purses the MCB is a better choice in size. I posted pictures of my bag on the forums including one of the MCB next to my LS, another great purse sized TB bag that will also accommodate the iPad fwiw.
    Last edited by dorayme; 09-27-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added link and clarification
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Thanks, dorayme! My wife likes purses to be stylish, yet...concise. Not too sure if that word fits, but you get my drift. She doesnt like useless space and frills. Sounds like this might be the bag for her!
    What would you say about the azalea color? Is it a pink with a twinge of purple, or more purple with a splash of pink? It's hard to really tell. Lately, she's been into purple, but I think she might like the azalea to go with some of her purple and yellow cardigans....

Here are a few pics I snapped while at work with my Portenzo inside my MCB & there are 3 small pouches along with it inside. Sorry, I'm using my EVO phone to take the pics.

Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Azalea is pink with some purple. It is very bright. I like it, but for my tastes, it's too much for an EDC. I guess I'm boring in that respect. Azalea would be nice with both purple and yellow, it would complement and contrast, both
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I don't have an Ipad but I do have a netbook and the LCB. If you go with either the LCB or the MCB, I'd also suggest getting a cache for the ipad as it will "flop around" a bit in either bag.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I have a pic of my iPad (in a cache) in the MCB here. It's the fourth pic down. In that pic, I'd forgotten to put in my keyboard, but there's plenty of room for it.

I wouldn't characterize the MCB as a purse. Mrs Badger has a SCB and it's sort of purse-y, but I think of them more as vertically-oriented satchels. The MCB is definitely a run about town or light day at work sort of bag, whereas to me the LCB is more of a baise-en-ville.
    Darcy likes this.

I now have all three cafe bag sizes (small, medium, large) and I also have the first generation iPad. Sizing-wise:

- It will not fit in a Small Cafe Bag.
    - It WILL fit in a Medium Cafe Bag, vertically oriented. The bag is large enough that you can have a case around it (if it's an iPad2, I'm thinking SmartCover type covers)
    - It EASILY fits into a Large Cafe Bag, both vertically and horizontally. In the Large Cafe Bag, you have CAVERNOUS space and the iPad will SWIM in the bag. If you are looking for a Goldilocks fit, I would recommend the Medium Cafe Bag. Not only does the iPad fit just right, but there's enough room to put a lot of other things as well.

I realize you're interested specifically in Cafe Bags, but fyi the iPad also fits in a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. You will want it to have a SmartCover on to decrease bumps and bruises, but I carry my iPad in a PCSB all the time and have never had problems.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I wouldn't characterize the MCB as a purse. Mrs Badger has a SCB and it's sort of purse-y, but I think of them more as vertically-oriented satchels. The MCB is definitely a run about town or light day at work sort of bag, whereas to me the LCB is more of a baise-en-ville.
    I agree, SCB definitely has more of a purse-feel, but I think it's more accurately described as a "cross-body purse." (you can see examples of cross-bodies at eBags.com).

The LCB is definitely closer to a messenger bag. One of the reasons the MCB doesn't feel like a purse is because the front buckle is bigger than the one they use for the SCB, so it has a more "industrial" and less feminine look/feel. That said, the size of the MCB is just fine as a purse, and is actually smaller than many tote-type purses.

If you want to carry them as "purses" though, you'll go a huge step towards it by cutting off that rubber shoulder padding. That's a sure sign that a bag is a "man bag." lol
    Last edited by Lani; 09-27-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
    w Naturally, I would go for the Ristretto for the iPad, but just looking at the color selection, I know she wouldn't want any of them.Teacherman
    I would love a Ristretto 11' myself, but the colors available are indeed quite limited. Based on your observations, how long does it before the Ristrettos appear in the new colors cordura colors.

My apologies to teacherman. No intention of highjacking your thread. But maybe the Ristrettos appear in azalea/sapphire by christmas? That would be awesome.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Just jumping in to say: we don't plan to make the Ristretto in Azalea or Turquoise.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0