Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Perplexa
  • 3 Post By moriond

Thread: The ID: Is this the right bag for me?

Question The ID: Is this the right bag for me?

So I'm finally going to buy my first real Tom Bihn bag (I just got a field journal, which is amazing). I think I'm going to get an ID with a Freudian Slip, but I wanted some opinions on whether this is the best choice for me. I also looked at the Zephyr and the Ego.

I am a Montessori teacher, so I generally have papers to carry back and forth (but not massive amounts of paper), plus my FJN, sometimes my computer (currently a MacBook Pro but soon to be an 11" MacBook Air), a water bottle, my lunch (could be carried separately), and occasionally a change of shoes, as well as miscellaneous items like my wallet, cell phone, and bus tickets. I normally walk (half an hour) and have some problems with my shoulders, so I don't want a bigger bag than I need because that will just encourage me to add more weight.

Thanks!
    dorayme likes this.

Did you also consider the Synapse, by chance? Would a backpack with two straps (and chest strap and waist strap) be better for your shoulders?

The Zephyr is a wonderful bag...but no onboard water bottle pocket so you would have to be a bit creative on that front.

I would second the Synapse opinion.

Volunteer Moderator

Consider the Synapse

Hi,

A third suggestion that you consider the Synapse and carry your MacBook Pro or 11" MacBook Air in a Cache. The volume capacity of the Synapse (19 l.) is slightly less than the ID bag's 20.9 l., but larger than the Zephyr (17.5 l.) But the design and layout of the Synapse is really good about utilizing that space, especially if the laptop in question is a 13" sized model like the MacBook Pro, or smaller, and it's very well-sized to protect said laptop with a vertical cache, because of the structure of the bag. You'll read frequent comments referring to this as a "Tardis" bag by people who are surprised by how much it can carry, despite its small size. Also, it's designed to be able to carry a water bottle in a central pocket that balances the distributed load. This isn't true of the ID bag's water bottle pocket, which is on the side. And if you are not carrying a water bottle, you can easily use that pocket for alternate contents. I carry a Kindle in that pocket when I don't have a water bottle there.

The main reason for suggesting the Synapse based on your comments are the remarks about some problems with your shoulders while typically walking about 30 minutes, and the desire to scale to smaller bags. Given the size of your current and future planned laptops, this bag will work very well for the contents and functions that you describe. As the most recently designed of the Tom Bihn backpack options, the Synapse has one of the most comfortable design for the backpad, with a breathable foam mesh, among these bags. I'll give you a link to a first impressions review of the Synapse that shows lots of photos of the bag layout, water bottle pouch use, and design of the back pad. You could easily carry your change of shoes in the sleeve pocket inside the main compartment that is shown in the second and third photos. For a view of the Synapse with laptop contents, check out the various maverick videos of the Synapse, starting with this video. There are several others, showing photo gear, lunchbots, and other contents.

You can also check this link to a post in a thread by someone asking about the ID bag for carrying a 13 inch MacBook Air and DSLR camera. Read down the thread for comments and other links. Basically, the ID bag can work better for you if you also need a bag to carry more items -- for example, if this was supposed to double as a quick overnight travel bag, or if you had to carry boots that went up to your shin instead of a change of shoes. It also works if you want to carry your laptop within a separate Brain Cell that is reinforced and provides extra protection. The main drawback that I see, according to your specifications, is that there is no analogous accessory to the Horizontal Freudian Slip which will fit in smaller bags such as the Synapse or the Imago. I do like the Freudian slip a lot, but I would still recommend the Synapse for your outlined usage. It may be that you are looking for a more "professional" (brief-case-like) bag, and may be drawn to the Zephyr for that reason. But for functionality, with the uses you describe, I would take a look at the Synapse.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 09-14-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: fix multiple typos from quick entry on an iPad virtual keyboard
    ncb4, tCook and jeffmac like this.

Thank you so much for all the information and suggestions! I've avoided considering the Synapse for a few reasons, one of which is that I just plain don't like the look of a backpack. The Synapse seems much better than my current backpack in this regard though. My current bag "sags" so that even when the straps are cinched up where they should be, the bottom of the bag sags down well below my waist, and the bag has so many straps dangling all over that I feel like a walking party decoration. While I don't have to look super "professional" for work, I do need to look neat, and I'm embarrassed by my backpack. The Synapse does look pretty nice. I also really like the bottom pocket, which looks like a perfect place for my lunch and would protect my belongings if my lunch leaked.

I have a few other concerns about backpacks, so maybe someone can address these or suggest alternatives.

1. My current backpack (and old REI brand non-frame backpack) has a padded hip strap like you'd see on a backpacking pack. I bought it because I thought that would help distribute the weight of the backpack away from my shoulders and onto my hips. What actually happens is that, in order to get the strap down around my hips where it belongs (at least, where it belongs on a backpacking pack...maybe it was never intended to go there on this backpack) I have to have the shoulder straps so long that the top of the pack pulls back away from my shoulders, even with the sternum strap pulled as tight as possible. The upshot is that I pull my neck forward to counterbalance the backwards pull on my shoulders and this turns out to be much worse than the having the weight of my bag on just one shoulder.

2. A backpack puts my important things (wallet, keys, phone) where they are hard for me to get to and easy for anyone else to get to, which doesn't make me feel very comfortable. I hate having to take my backpack halfway off and then struggle to get to the right pocket to pull out my wallet or cell phone. I also feel very uncomfortable in crowded places, because I can't pull my pack to the front or under my arm where I can keep a closer eye on it.

3. The single biggest draw of a Tom Bihn bag is the Freudian Slip. Being able to get to papers I need without taking my bag off or pulling out and unsnapping/zipping/tying anything is really, really appealing. To have that in a backpack, it looks like I'd have to go to a larger bag than the Synapse. Can anyone suggest any alternative solutions to the Freudian Slip that might serve the same purpose?

Thanks so much!

The vertical freudian slip fits into the Smart Alec, TB's "medium" sized backpack. This pack also opens towards you at the top which appears to be more secure than one that opens away. The opening is generous, but should it zip open the sides are still secure too so once again, your contents would be more secure than a traditional backpack. The exterior bungee lacing can easily be removed and the bag still looks good. It also has hidden smart interior organization should keep your iPhone, etc, easily accessible.
    My Synapse experience is that it doesn't have the sagging and missfitting that you describe, things, straps, etc are where they are supposed to be and there isn't any extra hanging off anywhere. The bag looks Sharp!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    The Zephyr is a wonderful bag...but no onboard water bottle pocket so you would have to be a bit creative on that front.
    The front slanted pocket holds a water bottle just fine. Same on the EB. It bulges but that's not a problem when I need a water bottle.

Audrey

Try Mock Ups

If backpacks won't work for you, any other of the bags may be the best choice.

The absolute sholder strap is a dream.

When I was deciding on a bag for my uses, I created some newspaper and scotch tape mock-ups based on the outside dimensions.

This gave me a general perspective of what would fit and how it would carry.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexa View Post
    So I'm finally going to buy my first real Tom Bihn bag (I just got a field journal, which is amazing). I think I'm going to get an ID with a Freudian Slip, but I wanted some opinions on whether this is the best choice for me. I also looked at the Zephyr and the Ego.

I am a Montessori teacher, so I generally have papers to carry back and forth (but not massive amounts of paper), plus my FJN, sometimes my computer (currently a MacBook Pro but soon to be an 11" MacBook Air), a water bottle, my lunch (could be carried separately), and occasionally a change of shoes, as well as miscellaneous items like my wallet, cell phone, and bus tickets. I normally walk (half an hour) and have some problems with my shoulders, so I don't want a bigger bag than I need because that will just encourage me to add more weight.

Thanks!
    It sounds like the ID would be a great fit for your needs! I highly recommend an Absolute Strap or a Q-AM Strap as they will help distribute the weight better during your long walks .
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    It sounds like the ID would be a great fit for your needs! I highly recommend an Absolute Strap or a Q-AM Strap as they will help distribute the weight better during your long walks .
    Oh no! I had finally talked myself into the Synapse and was getting all excited about it! Clearly, I'll have to ponder some more. Katy, if I order something that's backordered (a black/ultraviolet Synapse) along with some things that aren't, will it all wait until the Synapse is available, or will you make two shipments?

You can choose either method at checkout, but there is a fee/charge to have two shipments. The standard option is to hold your order for the backordered item.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Oh no! I had finally talked myself into the Synapse and was getting all excited about it! Clearly, I'll have to ponder some more. Katy, if I order something that's backordered (a black/ultraviolet Synapse) along with some things that aren't, will it all wait until the Synapse is available, or will you make two shipments?
    Oh no! I don't mean to confuse you! I do love the Synapse and wouldn't say it was a bad idea as it will be slightly easier on your back. I went with the ID because you noted:

2. A backpack puts my important things (wallet, keys, phone) where they are hard for me to get to and easy for anyone else to get to, which doesn't make me feel very comfortable. I hate having to take my backpack halfway off and then struggle to get to the right pocket to pull out my wallet or cell phone. I also feel very uncomfortable in crowded places, because I can't pull my pack to the front or under my arm where I can keep a closer eye on it.

3. The single biggest draw of a Tom Bihn bag is the Freudian Slip. Being able to get to papers I need without taking my bag off or pulling out and unsnapping/zipping/tying anything is really, really appealing. To have that in a backpack, it looks like I'd have to go to a larger bag than the Synapse. Can anyone suggest any alternative solutions to the Freudian Slip that might serve the same purpose?

The ID and Freudian Slip combo sounds like they would be great for the needs you listed

As Dorayme says above, you can select to have the items held until all items are available, or shipped as they become available. There are radio buttons near the end of the checkout above the comments field .

My shoulder/neck issues are really flaring up today, so I decided to do a little test. I took my regular purse (a small vertical messenger back) with a book in it and an over-the-shoulder shopping bag with nothing in it and went out for the morning. That's next to no weight, but my shoulder was still hurting a lot more than when I carry my loaded down (poorly fitting) backpack, so the Synapse it is. I'll just keep carrying my regular little purse when I need a safe place for my keys and stuff, and I'm going to get a couple of large organizer pouches to hold files. Not as convenient as the Freudian Slip, but it'll do for now.

I've solved the shipping-to-Canada-and-waiting-for-backordered-stuff problem by convincing my mother to buy me my new bag as a Chanukah gift. The downside is that I have to wait until December...but it's free. She gets to try it out a bit, and if she decides she likes it, then she'll give me the Synapse AND her Medium Cafe Bag and get herself a Synapse.

Katy, if this turns out to be a total mistake and I decide I really do want the ID/Freudian Slip will I be able to return the Synapse given that it will have been sitting around for two months but will be essentially unused?

Katy, if this turns out to be a total mistake and I decide I really do want the ID/Freudian Slip will I be able to return the Synapse given that it will have been sitting around for two months but will be essentially unused?

Yep! As long as it is unused .

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0