Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 3D organiser at the airport.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I use the 3D as my liquids bag without problems, but I do usually leave it tethered with a long key strap. Occasionally I've been asked to detach it. Why? No idea! I never argue with these people as there's little to gain.

I have had no problems at any airport and have not even had to untether mine.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

I once had security ask me about a TB pouch but only to suggest I go with a zip loc. The 3D hasn't raised any issues yet and I prefer it to a regular pouch anyway so win-win really.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Also been through a metric crap-pile of airports with mine with no issues. I leave mine "tethered" but hanging out and have not gotten a second look.

I have found that the smaller the airport the weirder they are. I flew through VPS (Niceville, FL) last week and although the 3D orgniser didn't bother them my Leatherman Style PS sent them into a tizzy before the finally agreed that no knife meant it was OK to go on board.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    Also been through a metric crap-pile of airports with mine with no issues. I leave mine "tethered" but hanging out and have not gotten a second look.

I have found that the smaller the airport the weirder they are. I flew through VPS (Niceville, FL) last week and although the 3D orgniser didn't bother them my Leatherman Style PS sent them into a tizzy before the finally agreed that no knife meant it was OK to go on board.
    the idea of tethering the 3d organizer pouch as you send your stuff through the security scan is brilliant! thanks!! i am going to try that the next time that i travel.

that you can carrying the leatherman style ps onboard is a pleasant surprise. just reading that it is tsa compliant. i'm surprised, though, considering that it has scissors. any experience with traveling internationally with this?

i remember being told to toss a nail cutter as i went through security once (i forget now where that happened). at new delhi airport security, they've fussed over my car key more than once.

I'm surprised no one has fussed over my car key-- it's the switchblade-style VW key. Of course, at Paris, where I got patted down for not having my camera (!) out, I got through with a bottle of Febreze (accidentally-- I had forgotten that I took it out of my 3-1-1 bag.)
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    that you can carrying the leatherman style ps onboard is a pleasant surprise. just reading that it is tsa compliant. i'm surprised, though, considering that it has scissors. any experience with traveling internationally with this?
    i remember being told to toss a nail cutter as i went through security once (i forget now where that happened). at new delhi airport security, they've fussed over my car key more than once.
    The scissors are less than 4 inches (actually less than an inch) which meets TSA standards. On the international front, a nice security guard in the Sao Paulo airport owns my first Style PS so I would be careful on the international front. Funny thing is it went into Brazil, went intra-Brazil on a flight from Rio to Sao Paulo and then they took it away on the way home. =(

Reviewed the little bugger on my site if you want the quick run through .

Also, I cant take credit on the keystrap tethering on the 3D cube, I got it from somebody else here...Backpack maybe? Can someone chime in so we can give credit where credit is due?

Update: I decided to go with the 3d Clear Cube in Storm and used it as my 3-1-1 bag the other day, using the keystrap to attach it to my bag. Worked like a charm at Denver and SFO security. And I think it actually holds MORE than the 1qt ziploc. It's like magic or something. On the way home I had a tub of hair conditioner pop open, and I just turned the bag inside out and rinsed it with hot water and it appears to be as good as new.
    Swift (ballistic navy/steel), Little Swift (ultrasuede), Western Flyer (indigo/solar), Smart Alec (indigo/solar), 3d Clear Organizer Cube (storm), two Caches (15"MBP & iPad2), assorted yarn stuff sacks, organizer pouches (all dyneema), key straps, a screen cloth and a packing cube. Wishlist: a navy/wasabi Tri-Star, a Kiwi Kit, and anything else wasabi.

I'm pretty sure you're right that it holds more!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
    And I think it actually holds MORE than the 1qt ziploc.
    It does because it's pleated, and has an industrial-strength zipper. Ziploc sells pleated zip-tab baggies but they are notorious for popping open (I really wish they'd just make the pleated bags with a standard resealable closure instead of the zipper pull--they used to make them many moons ago and they were quite good, not just for toiletries, but for socks and underwear). Hefty may have something similar, but they, too, have the problem with the zipper pull version coming undone.

I also like that leaks will rarely leak out of the case itself, because of the seal around the zipper. And being able to leash it to your carry-on and not having to put it in the plastic bin is a huge plus.

Storm, hmm? I really like that color, too.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0