• 4 Post By dorayme
  • 3 Post By moriond
  • 3 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By bunchgrass
  • 2 Post By BJ Nemeth
  • 1 Post By dorayme

Thread: Large Shop Bag question

Large Shop Bag question

I just ordered the large Shop Bag in solar -- really love this cheery colour!
    They didn't have it in the small, so the decision-making process was easier.

Anyway, now I'm wondering how big the large actually is. I don't seem to be able to find pics of the large. Will it drag on the ground if held at my side? I'm 5'5", btw.

I'm really excited for all the potential uses for this bag.
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

I'm 5'2" and have one pictured in my left hand. Unless your arms are ape like you should be fine
    The size is comparable to the volume of a large paper grocery sack IMHO. Just a million times stronger. The straps are suitable to wear over your shoulder even if you have a bulky coat or sweater on. The padding makes them very comfortable. The o-rings are great for clipping any of the smaller bags including the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Stuff Sacks, Organizer Pouches and Side Effect. They are also nice to use the key strap across to give a bit of closure to the bag.

Apes would have never had enough smarts to have a bag as awesome as the Large Shop Bag.
    Last edited by dorayme; 08-04-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: iPad typos
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Volunteer Moderator

Addendum to Dorayme's Large Shop Bag pictures

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post

I'm 5'2" and have one pictured in my left hand. Unless your arms are ape like you should be fine
    The size is comparable to the volume of a large paper grocery sack IMHO. Just a million times stronger. The straps are suitable to wear over your shoulder even if you have a bulky coat or sweater on. The padding makes them very comfortable. The o-rings are great for clipping any of the smaller bags including the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Stuff Sacks, Organizer Pouches and Side Effect. They are also nice to use the key strap across to give a bit of closure to the bag.

Apes would have never had enough smarts to have a bag as awesome as the Large Shop Bag.
    I'll supplement Dorayme's reply by posting a Flickr image (from another forum member's stream) that shows the Large Shop Bag size compared to the Cork Swift that Dorayme is carrying. It's slightly bigger. I usually carry the Large Shop bag with the padded straps over my shoulder. (I'm 5' 4" tall.) The bags in the image are the Little Swift in Vulcana/Hemp, the Cork Swift, the Iberian (Large) Shop Bag, and the Utility Tote in Sapphire/Olive.

moriond

P.S. I think the picture I inserted was actually from Dorayme's Flickr stream, which is why the match to the Cork Swift on her shoulder and the Iberian Shop Bag in her other hand is so exact. At least, I think I recognized some of the other pictures on that site in her multitude of neatly posted Shop Bag pictures.
    Last edited by moriond; 08-04-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added Postscript with credits.

ha ha!! re: ape arms.
    Nope, I don't have ape arms (or a severe case of osteoperosis for that matter) so it looks like I will be able to carry (vs. drag) the bag :-)
    Thank you both for the posts. Yes, it is a big bag but it looks manageable.
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

@moriond, yep, that line up is also from my photo stream. And yes, the LSB is bigger than the Swift. In fact when I needed a sctich more room on a return flight because I purchased more than I planned to on my trip, the Swift fit nicely into the LSB with room around the edges that I filled with stuff.

It all fit nicely under the seat in front of me on my flight.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I own two large shop bags and use them regularly for grocery shopping. The last time I used them, I bought four 2L jugs of cola. The checker put all four of them in one shop bag and almost hurt herself putting the bag in the cart. They are wonderful colorful, sturdy bags, but it is WAAYY too easy to overfill them.
    dorayme likes this.

The Large Shop bag is perfect for light things such as pasta, rice, chocolate chip, nuts and dried fruits.
    You can fill up a month worth and find the bag to be perfect.

Alternatively, it can carry the supplies for a great ice cream and cookie party!

But the best use is for a stroll, a bike, bus or even a car ride to the farmer's market for fresh fruits, veggies, cheese, bread and beverage of choice.

Then enjoy some of the yummy food, al fresco, in a park nearby.

I have one Large Shop Bag that I use for all of my grocery shopping. I don't make epic grocery shopping trips, so I go in with an empty Large Shop Bag and pretty much restrict myself to nothing (except a 12-pack of Cherry Coke) that won't fit in the bag.

For the record, the bag will easily accommodate a 12-pack of Cherry Coke (or two), but I prefer to hold that in my other hand. Everything else goes into the Large Shop Bag. I often overload it with heavy things, and it has never even come close to ripping under the pressure. This is an extremely sturdy bag.

I always keep the empty bag in my car, so it's always ready when I need it. (I sometimes make a last-minute decision to pick up groceries.) It's also nice for the occasional times when I'm out and about and find myself needing an extra bag.
    Darcy and thisisme like this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

But the best use is for a stroll, a bike, bus or even a car ride to the farmer's market for fresh fruits, veggies, cheese, bread and beverage of choice.

Then enjoy some of the yummy food, al fresco, in a park nearby.
    Looks like my shop bag (currently in Louisville), will be heading to Europe with me in October then.. I do like to break the routine of restaurant meals with picnics of local produce. French runny cheese here I come......

I'm getting a small one because - for shopping - the checkout people will always overfill a capacious bag. For big loads I take my granny trolley ... :-)
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post

I'm getting a small one because - for shopping - the checkout people will always overfill a capacious bag. For big loads I take my granny trolley ... :-)
    Yeah, I think generally, the small shop bag is a good call - use can use two: one for each hand. BUT, the downside of that is that I'm pretty sure 2 small shop bags will take up more room in your purse than 1 big one...
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

Here's today's grocery run of non food and food items:

On the left Utility tote and across the back Shop Bags. The small is on the far right. Ignore the blue sack that is over the top. . . non-TB. I think I need a few more shop bags both large and small, and Darcy, are the UT's combing back this year. I thought I read somewhere that they were but I haven't heard anything about that
    Darcy likes this.

Pretty pnoto, Dorayme!

And to add to Dorayme's queztion - will the small shop bags in solar & iberian be made available? When?

Thanks.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0