Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Are these bags for me?

The Brain Bag with Packing Cubes is perfect for U.S domestic travel (planes=Southwest, trains, boats and cars). I assume it is also the case for travel within continental Europe/Asia, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Japan, Africa, Canada and South America.

The problem are those pesky watery areas between continents when one has to deal with airlines and their even peskier carry on weight rules.

Now, it is not about weight and balance because the bag is going to be on the plane anyway so it makes no difference if it is within reach or crushed under the weight of enormous wheelies, in cargo.

Most transcontinental airlines have 2 or 3 classes on board their aircrafts, on some airlines, the higher two classes pay more and get to keep 2 carry-ons instead of one.

It seems to be the job of some people to show cargo...hem coach passengers that they are a weighty inconvenience for this first class aircraft and remove as much comfort as possible.

The Brain Bag fits perfectly under a domestic airline middle and window seat, but it might not on transcontinental aircrafts, even the biggest ones. The reason: the entertainment boxes placed under the seats which only allow a thin, square bag just like the Western Flyer and Tristar.

If you are forced to check your bag on the transcontinental flights, there will be nothing to protect the Brain Bag straps against abuse or destruction.
    By contrast, on the Western Flyer and Tristar, the straps can quickly be stowed, your essentials (packed in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag,, a Kit or a Medium Pouch) removed in seconds.

If you are lucky enough to keep your Western Flyer or Tristar with you, just slide it under your seat, fasten your seatbelt and you are on your way to Italian Adventures!
    Last edited by backpack; 08-04-2011 at 07:22 AM.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Yes, this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Something else that no one mentioned, or I missed it, are the stairs getting on and off the train. A tri Star or WF is much easier to navigate with than ANY rolling bag.
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backlasher View Post
    Something else that no one mentioned, or I missed it, are the stairs getting on and off the train. A tri Star or WF is much easier to navigate with than ANY rolling bag.
    Unfortunately the trains in North America are so bad that nobody here thinks of trains, period

Quote Originally Posted by roomy View Post
    Unfortunately the trains in North America are so bad that nobody here thinks of trains, period
    I beg to differ.
    On my last trip, I did manage to get on one short train ride out of the many I planned to take. Very enjoyable.
    West coast Amtrak overnight best accommodations were full, so I choose to fly.

Autumn travel by train must be lovely anywhere in the U.S and Canada.
    Spring too provided one has no allergy.

This summer, several Tom Bihn forum members have taken Amtrak trains.

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/custom...-day-trip.html

Empire Builder and Aeronaut on a Cross-Country Train Trip
    Last edited by backpack; 08-07-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0