Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User Sera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    76

    Ristretto for iPad

    I don't actually have an iPad, but my netbook is listed as fitting in the Ristretto for iPad. My only question is - does this bag have room to include, in addition to a netbook, a thin 8.5x11 paper notebook or folder? I can see a Kindle included in the 'what can you put in it' picture, but a Kindle is smaller in flat dimensions.

    Thank you in advance for the help!

  2. #2
    Registered User daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    360
    I have the Ristretto for ipad and it fits a couple of A4 notebooks - one of which is an Atoma ring bound book with large rings so is wider than A4.

    I put them in the main compartment in front of the ipad pocket.
    as well as three pouches and pens etc.
    List under construction ....

  3. #3
    Registered User Sera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    76
    Thanks very much! I just saw your packing list - after I posted, naturally. Like you, I have issues with bags that hang heavy on my shoulders (in my case nerve issues down both arms), but that packing list would have stood me over a long flight easily. Yay! New bag!

  4. #4
    Registered User daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    360
    I just measured the Atoma book (like a circa notebook) and it is 9" x 11.75 " - any larger and it probably wouldn't fit.

    I'm sure you'll be happy with the Ristretto - I use mine a lot - I just don't fill it up quite so much :-)

    I'd recommend the absolute strap if you don't already have one - it's adjustable at both ends so it's easy to make the bag sit just where you want.
    List under construction ....

  5. #5
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    I carry my Ristretto for iPad most days ... it is my 'go to' bag, but if I'm planning on carrying anything A4, I grab my Ristretto for MacBook 13". You can squeeze A4 things into the smaller bag, but it is a squeeze. Whereas the larger bag can take A4 folders in either the main pouch or thin items in the outside one. The only other thing I'd add is that I think that the smaller bag looks neater even on my large frame!

    Eric

  6. #6
    Registered User daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    360
    Here's a pic of the A4 stuff I regularly carry.

    There are two A4 books - not real thick but the ring bound one is wide-ish.

    Name:  bihnbag_sml.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  31.1 KB

    And I did a fairly ordinary video... taken with the ipad so it's not in the bag - although it happily fits along with the books and a few other bits and pieces.

    my first video using imovie on the ipad .. needs work :-) but hopefully shows the fit.

    YouTube vid
    List under construction ....

  7. #7
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    I think that the video was what I was trying to say. You can get A4 books in ... just. But if you plan to carry them regularly or A4 folders then the larger bag is much better. However, I've not tried the MBA11 Ristretto. That might just be the perfect compromise.

    Just lately I've run into trouble twice with the iPad size when i've been at seminars. As is the want of the companies that speak at these things, you end up with a stack of bound copies of PowerPoint presentations and folders full of product literature. One company also gave away a book. Now my iPad Ristretto has in it an iPad2; a medium pouch with things like my cheque book and compliments slips etc. in it; a small pouch full of drugs and things (legal, medical ones!); my TB wallet; a change purse; a couple of pens and my iPhone. Trying to cram in a 1" thick 5"x8" paperback and a card folder containing A4 documents, (oh, and a little box of jelly beans!) proved impossible. I ended up ditching the folder and putting the papers in the outside pocket and the book in the main pocket with the pouches. The other time it was bound 'power-points' that were my undoing. I managed of course, but next week I'll be taking my MBP13" Ristretto, still with my iPod in it, but ready to bring my documents home easily.

    Eric
    Last edited by Fat Crip; 06-16-2011 at 03:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    ....

    Just lately I've run into trouble twice with the iPad size when i've been at seminars. As is the want of the companies that speak at these things, you end up with a stack of bound copies of PowerPoint presentations and folders full of product literature. One company also gave away a book.

    .....

    Eric
    I can't believe they still do this. I've been out of the seminar/conference scene for years but remember well the piles of printed stuff they used to dispense.

    Surely any trade info handed out doesn't need to be any larger than a postcard with a url on these days?

    If material is needed while at the event then just give everyone a usb drive or memory card containing the full set.

    Back to the iPad Ristretto - certainly once you wrap a substantial folder around an A4 thing, it's not going to work.

    I'm having fun with my new pogo sketch on my ipad2 but can't quite imagine not carrying at least an A5 paper notebook.
    List under construction ....

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    I have the Waterfield smart case folder for my Ipad so I don't really need the padded sleeve in the Ristretto. It doesn't look like its optional but would the ipad in the smart case still fit (about 1 inch or 2.7cms)?

    I looked at the Medium Cafe bag but prefer the Ristretto configuration.

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    I can't believe they still do this. I've been out of the seminar/conference scene for years but remember well the piles of printed stuff they used to dispense.

    Surely any trade info handed out doesn't need to be any larger than a postcard with a url on these days?

    If material is needed while at the event then just give everyone a usb drive or memory card containing the full set.

    Back to the iPad Ristretto - certainly once you wrap a substantial folder around an A4 thing, it's not going to work.

    I'm having fun with my new pogo sketch on my ipad2 but can't quite imagine not carrying at least an A5 paper notebook.
    The saddest thing is that 90%+ of it is usually in the recycling bin within 48 hours. A USB thing is better, but people seem to have stopped giving them out recently. My right arm is almost completely paralysed (I'm right handed) and my left only a little better, so my need of sketch pads is sadly behind me :-(

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    8
    I have the Waterfield Smart case for iPad, and it's too thick for the Ristretto pouch. The good news is that the Ristretto pouch is plenty padded enough. I use the waterfield around the house, or in the Imago if I need to carry more.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by plainsong View Post
    I have the Waterfield Smart case for iPad, and it's too thick for the Ristretto pouch. The good news is that the Ristretto pouch is plenty padded enough. I use the waterfield around the house, or in the Imago if I need to carry more.
    Thanks for that. I like the Waterfield Smart case but for travel I can leave it at home I guess.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    8
    This time last week, I was in the same predicament, and I'm not regretting the Ristretto one bit.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0