Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would you use to pack an Apple Bluetooth keyboard?

I recently went on a business trip with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and found that I hadn't packed it very wisely in my suitcase (unfortunately, this was one trip where I couldn't pack everything in my Tri-Star and Checkpoint Flyer). When I took the keyboard out, I found that it got bent by some other luggage. Luckily, I was able to force it back into shape (mostly), and it still works. What do any of you recommend for future trips?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    I recently went on a business trip with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and found that I hadn't packed it very wisely in my suitcase (unfortunately, this was one trip where I couldn't pack everything in my Tri-Star and Checkpoint Flyer). When I took the keyboard out, I found that it got bent by some other luggage. Luckily, I was able to force it back into shape (mostly), and it still works. What do any of you recommend for future trips?
    I have the same concerns about protecting my bluetooth keyboard. I have tried my horizontal Cache size 11Air and I can force the keyboard in by stretching the ends a little, but it is too wide. I also have a neoprene sleeve that I can stretch as well, but it is too wide as well. I just received an Incase Origami Workstation for the iPad/Bluetooth Keyboard (not to be confused with the Origami iPad Sleeve) which is a semi-hard book style case to hold the keyboard and function as stand for the iPad, but it is completely open at the ends even when closed. It may help prevent the bending you experienced, but I'd like all around padded protection. Maybe Tom will add a new model to the Cache line for the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard which has a longer and narrower profile.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    I have the same concerns about protecting my bluetooth keyboard. I have tried my horizontal Cache size 11Air and I can force the keyboard in by stretching the ends a little, but it is too wide. <snip> Maybe Tom will add a new model to the Cache line for the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard which has a longer and narrower profile.
    Hi Woodstock and MikeG,

It would be great if Tom designed a sleeve for the Apple Wireless Keyboard (to use its official name). In the meantime, I'm using the Keyboard Slip from Waterfield Designs. The black ballistic nylon of the case (with a color trim) goes nicely with my Tom Bihn bags. It's the same width as the Horizontal Cache for the 11-inch MacBook Air, and matches well to the current black color. UK customers might alternatively try the Tuff-Luv Faux Leather Case Cover for Bluetooth Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Waterfield bags also has an "iPad wallet" which hold iPad and has a special pocket for the wireless keyboard. It can be used as a standalone item or out in a bag. I have used it for traveling and it does a pretty good job of protecting both as it has a couple of pieces of plastic sewn in offering protection beyond the padding. It fit nicely in a synapse, I'd, and tristar.
    Last edited by rabergnc; 05-15-2011 at 04:30 PM.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    of course you could put it in the little cardboard box it came in and send it back to where you bought it ;-)
    I can't see the point of turning something beautiful, slim, simple and most of all tactile in to an awkward less capable clone of a net book. The virtual keyboard works great, but if you really feel the need for a 'proper' keyboard, then having a two, and more likely three part, set-up has got to be the most awkward way to go about it ... in my humble opinion!

you're correct about the keyboard being a bit awkward and impacting the aesthetics and simplicity of the ipad; however, there are occasions when i need to type something of length - whether it's a reply to an email, a report about a patient, a lengthy blogpost, etc where the virtual keyboard simply is not nearly as efficient or as easy. I do not feel I always have to have the keyboard with me when I travel with the iPad but it is nice to have it available; and it weighs very little and takes up little room overall in my carry bag(s). I do not want to have to be in a position to always needs to have a laptop with me, although there are times it is needed - this past weekend, I traveled with my laptop since I knew I would need it. When the ipad gets the ability to easily access and store files on the device without needing connectivity, I will be able to retire my laptop.

The keyboard fits nicely in the main compartment of the Ristretto for iPad. From experience, the Ristretto for iPad also fits inside the front compartment of the Tri-Star. Of course, if that's total overkill, then the - ahem - Waterfield sleeve would provide protection when slipping the keyboard into another bag.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Oh, and agreed with rabergnc about the occasional preference for having an external keyboard. What iOS lacks is haptic feedback (the annoying clicking sound doesn't count, that was the first setting I changed on my ur-iPhone and each device since). For anything longer than a few paragraphs, my typing speed is much faster on the wireless keyboard. I also prevent a huge crick in my neck from not staring down at the screen. Another reason for using the wireless keyboard is to avoid losing screen real estate. When I use LogmeIn Ignition to VNC to another computer, I want maximum visibility of the remote screen.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Hmm ... I typed a reply but don't see it now. Short answer: iPad Cache, vertical. Not perfect, but I'm not currently using it for an iPad and it holds the keyboard and my Kindle well enough in the Synapse interior pouch.

Also, I use the keyboard with my iPhone so I can IM, text, and email more easily during the work day (can't do personal stuff on the work machine). It works for more than the iPad.

It fits perfectly in a Co-Pilot without any special cover on it. I have my iPad in an iPad Cache (horizontal) and I just set my Apple Bluetooth keyboard with the round top comfortably tucked under the bottom of the cache. Honestly, I don't put the keyboard in anything and the bag plus iPad cache gives it more than enough protection.
    I also carry a bunch of other junk next to all of that.
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

A brain cell may be the answer to max protection for an ipad and keyboard. I use one for my Netbook in my EGO along with one for my wife's laptop.
    I'm not sure of the size of the ipad and keyboard together. Don't know if it would be too thick.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Maybe I'll have to check out the Cache or Copilot next time the retail store is open. I'll stay away from the debate about whether to stop using a keyboard with my iPad. It's simply necessary for what I do for work, and the set up is a lot lighter than hauling any laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    Thanks for the tips, everyone. Maybe I'll have to check out the Cache or Copilot next time the retail store is open. I'll stay away from the debate about whether to stop using a keyboard with my iPad. It's simply necessary for what I do for work, and the set up is a lot lighter than hauling any laptop.
    I'm the same way with my iPad and Apple Bluetooth Keyboard...there are times when you just need a good keyboard to get some serious work done. I generally don't travel with my MacBook Pro any more since the iPad and keyboard suit my needs on the road. Check out the Co-Pilot, pick up the iPad cache and you won't be disappointed with how much the thing holds for portable work purposes.
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

Incase origami

Check out the Origami from InCase. It fits easily in my Copilot and Ristretto. It holds the apple keyboard securely and also works great as a stand for your iPad - even on your lap.

It's available on amazon: Amazon.com: Incase CL57934 Origami Workstation for iPad 2 & iPad and Apple Wireless Keyboard, Black: Electronics

Matt

I have both the Origami case and the Waterfield bag that holds the iPad2 and the keyboard, and in my case, the TwelveSouth compass (holds the iPad2). The Origami is great when I'm carrying other things in addition to the iPad2 and keyboard, while I use the Waterfield bag when that's all I'm carrying.

Have to say, though, that I'm not sure if any of the cases mentioned here would protect the keyboard from forces that could actually bend the aluminum frame. I'd think you'd need one of those 'can survive falling from a plane' kind of max-defender-y cases for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0