Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TXGirl

Thread: Smart Alec better choice?

Smart Alec better choice?

I have a HP Elitebook 6930P that I carry for my work laptop. Along with my laptop I also carry the brick power adapter, wireless mouse, lunch bag, 2 bottles of water, a notebook or 2, my med cafe bag, and occasionally an umbrella.

According to the laptop fit guide, it says I need the 3S vertical braincell (which I didn't see available) and it would fit in the Smart Alec or Brain Bag.
    I'm not too worried about the braincell as I can get a cache to fit in the Smart Alec; or my other option is to get the horizontal braincell to fit in the Brain Bag.

I think the Smart Alec is the better choice for my daily load but would love to hear any other suggestions. The dimensions of laptop are 13.0" x 9.6" x 1.2"
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Your preference is for a backpack rather than a shoulder bag? If you go for the Smart Alec, there are distinct advantages of having a correctly configured Brain Cell (ie vertical rather than horizontal) over a cache. The Brain Cell is suspended within the Smart Alec via the clips, which reduces the chance of damage compared with anything sitting in the bottom of the bag. A horizontal Brain Cell's clip straps won't line up with the bag. Also much of the protection from a Brain Cell comes from the sleeve which keeps the laptop inside from touching the bottom. Turn the Brain Cell on its side, and you lose that advantage. A cache has no means of being clipped to any of the bags.

I carry a similarly sized laptop daily, and I have found Tom Bihn's shoulder bags to be better suited to my needs than the backpacks. You might consider the Zephyr as a briefcase style, or the Ego as a messenger bag style. If only there was a slightly larger Ristretto...

Thanks lotuseater for the feedback! After much consideration, I think I would be better off with a messenger style bag vs a backpack. I think I've narrowed it down to an Ego. I now just need to decide what color I want.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by TXGirl View Post
    Thanks lotuseater for the feedback! After much consideration, I think I would be better off with a messenger style bag vs a backpack. I think I've narrowed it down to an Ego. I now just need to decide what color I want.
    You won't be disappointed. I love my Super Ego that I have currently.
    Last edited by misterN; 05-04-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: My Engrish is Bad.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Quote Originally Posted by misterN View Post
    You don't be disappointed. I love my Super Ego that I have currently.
    Actually, it was the closeup pics of your Super Ego that helped me decide
    misterN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGirl View Post
    Actually, it was the closeup pics of your Super Ego that helped me decide
    I'm glad that I could help!

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Well I finally decided what color Ego I wanted & placed my order tonight. I went with the Black/Black/Cayenne with Wasabi strip. Oh and also ordered an organizer wallet in kiwi. I can't wait to get it!

Congrats. Sounds like a great choice!
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0