Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Describe Linen

Okay. so I asked my next door neighbor what color she thought it most resembled. Her response......dun. Her other response: "That is a beautiful bag."\

BTW---on my monitor, when looking at the photo Darcy uploaded, the straps, which are black in real life, look the same color steel as my Tri-Star.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    It was the photo Darcy shows above that got me to pull out my credit card and place an order for the Linen/Olive LCB 10 days ago. Like you, Frank, I struggle to describe the colour. To my eyes it's darker than the photo suggests, and one's perception of it shifts depending on the ambient lighting, the viewing angle, and whether there are contrasting colours that offset it. The weave seems to alternate lighter and darker shades. Unlike the indigo and cocoa MCBs my wife and I own, linen glistens. That's not to say it's shiny, but I won't say it has a matte finish either. It's not beige, it's not brown, it's not gold, it's not sand, it's not green - but it has elements of each depending on how you view it. Me likey.
    I remember on a previous occasion that bagaddict's post with pictures of the Imago in Olive/Linen/Wasabi didn't show up until that color combination was no longer available.

moriond

I'm seriously considering something in linen as my next order. Hmmm.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Thanks to everyone's descriptions of Cordura linen. I decided I wanted to buy a Small Cafe Bag to serve as a bag between my Side Effect and my Swift. But I was torn between Navy and Linen. All of these descriptions of Linen led me to order the Small Cafe Bag in Linen and Steel. Well, it arrived today and it exceeded my expectations. Linen is one of the most amazing colors I've experienced. I agree with those who said that it appears to be darker than Darcy's photo. And it shimmers unlike any other color. But what truly sets it apart is that if you look closely there's a tremendous variation in color, just as if it was natural linen and not dyed nylon. And the linen and steel combination is awesome. Looking forward to using the Small Cafe Bag!
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Do any men have the Linen color in either cafe bags or Ristretto? Does it look "manly" enough to carry? I am tempted to get one because it looks like a whitish canvas, but many have said that the color has different hues so I'm not so sure.

Thanks,
    Gargoyle

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Do any men have the Linen color in either cafe bags or Ristretto? Does it look "manly" enough to carry? I am tempted to get one because it looks like a whitish canvas, but many have said that the color has different hues so I'm not so sure.

Thanks,
    Gargoyle
    Frank II has a LCB in linen (he's the one who started this thread, I believe) and Geocycle has a Ristretto. Both bags seem pretty manly to me. (Some of G's Ristretto pics are here on the forums and also on the TB blog.) The Ristretto is especially gender-neutral/masculine because of its black edging.

I just saw this post and Darcy's photo of the SCB in Linen actually made me salivate.

Two thoughts: That's a gorgeous bag and I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I just saw this post and Darcy's photo of the SCB in Linen actually made me salivate.

Two thoughts: That's a gorgeous bag and I have a problem.
    Admitting that you have a problem is the first step in letting the rest of us talk you into buying another TB Bag!

I am tempted to get one because it looks like a whitish canvas, but many have said that the color has different hues so I'm not so sure.

Thanks,
    Gargoyle
    Tom Bihn bags are one colors, or two, or three. The ones that Darcy uses in the description.

But, when you get any of Tom Bihn Bags or you visit the factory and get to handle all of them in person, you realize that the fabric plays with the light, and the colors in its surrounding, in such a manner that depending on the time of day, the color of the sky, the lighting in your house, the clothes you are wearing, the way you carry the bag, the color picks up those environmental variations.

I am not saying that Tom Bihn Bags are octopuses or other cephalopods, the color of the bag remains the same but it has a shimmering quality in the sun and its hue deepens with lack of external light.

It is very difficult to describe until you witness it in person, I first saw it on my Steel Tom Bihn items and witnessed the "transformation" of the bags in Cardinal at the store during the day from a deep rich Cardinal to a deep dark red Cardinal. It looks just like the bird.

The same happened with Navy. Cardinal and Navy are ballistic nylon colors and the Cafe Bags are made of Cordura and I witness, everyday the magic of Tom Bihn Cafe Bags everyday.

I saw Linen at the store, to me, it is the color of the lightest khakis which is very masculine indeed,

Badger is correct, I have a LCB in Linen.

The question is....is it okay for a guy. Let me put it this way, I only get black bags. Even the linings of my bags are dark if I have a choice. The only non black bag I own is a Tristar and that is Steel. . You'll never see me with any of the other colors Tom Bihn offers. They're just not me. But Linen is a different story. It is a very neutral color--sort of like beige or khaki. I have never felt uncomfortable carrying it and it's currently the bag I use most.
    backpack and Just like this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Thanks,
    Gargoyle
    Official Dude here.

I absolutely love the linen colour. It's less white than it is almost earth-toned. In darker light it gets more worn-canvas like, in bright light it's lighter, but still earthy. If that makes any sense. Examples:

What's in my bag? by G e o cycle, on Flickr

Tom Bihn Ristretto @ Shirotori Gardens by G e o cycle, on Flickr

Since my Ristretto has the Olive color in it too it's just about perfect. Very good color combination.

Hope that helps some!
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad Ristretto Aeronaut Synapse Lg Shop Bag lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    Flickr Blog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

Thanks all, for your inputs. And for making me poorer by $55 as I am now going to order a SCB in Linen/Steel!

Gargoyle

I finally broke down and ordered a linen/steel small cafe bag. It is GORGEOUS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0