Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

New Passport Pouch

I see that the new Passport Pouch has an easier access opening. Good. That looks like a great improvement over the old one with a zipper. How about the size?? Is it the same size as the old pouch??

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    I see that the new Passport Pouch has an easier access opening. Good. That looks like a great improvement over the old one with a zipper. How about the size?? Is it the same size as the old pouch??
    It's actually a little narrower now that the zipper has been replaced with Velcro, and the passport is still easier to access.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Another question: can you carry it on your Person through the metal detector at the screening point, or do you have to stash it in a bag that goes through the Xray machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Seesul View Post
    Another question: can you carry it on your Person through the metal detector at the screening point, or do you have to stash it in a bag that goes through the Xray machine?
    I may be wrong, but I believe RFID wallets will set off metal detectors. You will want to take your passport out of the holder while you go through your screening. The other newfangled I-can-see-you-nekkid machines won't set off any alarms but they won't be able to see through the holder, so they will probably want you to take it out and run it thru the X-ray machine.

I saw the blog post and couldn't buy one fast enough! Great place to stash credit cards to prevent snoopies from sniffing them out, too. I'm hoping it shows up before my trip next Friday!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I usually hand-carry my passport and ticket through the machines, even if I have a pouch. (I tend to throw coins into available pouches on my person, so it would probably set off the detector anyway.)

The RFID thing is pretty cool!

I got my shipping notification today!
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.