Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tzporah

Thread: Swift for Camera, Knitting, Everything...but is it secure?

Swift for Camera, Knitting, Everything...but is it secure?

Ok, I'm trying to find the "perfect" bag for my personal item for the plane and sightseeing for 3 week trip to China. (Think I've settled on TriStar for carryon bag).

I need something for my DSLR camera (only 1 lens) but that can hold my other stuff. NO Backpacks! Besides a backpack won't work if I'm carrying the Tristar in backpack mode. I like something I can access easier to reach my camera. I like slings (close to the body, wear over the body) but don't like the Buzz. I was going to get a Lowepro Passport Sling which is basically a pouch sling with a camera insert and room for the other odds and ends. I may still get it but it's not quite right.

So now I'm thinking of the Swift. The pouch size seems perfect. Can slip a camera insert in there plus take my knitting! and room for other stuff. The single closure concerns me for pickpockets though holding against my body may help. I suppose I can get some pacsafe type thing for my passport and money and either wear it separately or secure it to an O ring. What do you think? Also I prefer to wear a bag across my body. Doesn't look like the 26" strap would be long enough to do that comfortably. Anyone done it? How comfortable is the Swift (or Little Swift for that matter) to carry around all day. I LOVE the style of the bag. It is my kind of bag. I know I would use it all the time. I don't really want to do a messenger type bag or get a dedicated camera bag. (My husband carries the camera some of the time anyway--we trade off). And the price point is right for me. Don't really want to be spending more money on a bag I won't use outside of the trip. I can rationalize the $80 because I'd use it pretty much all the time. If I weren't playing tourist I wouldn't think twice about the open style.

Thoughts? I may need to keep searching.

Hrmm...well, the forum ate my first post. So, here we go again!

I love my Swift for travel. I carry it over my shoulder or in my hand with my Aeronaut (usually in backpack mode). That said, the handle is not designed for crossbody use. I've heard of someone using a crossbody strap attached to the tabs for the o-rings, so I guess it could be used that way, but personally, I find the handle very comfortable to use as is...so that's how I use it.

The button tab is secure enough for me while traveling, though I haven't traveled internationally with it. On my shoulder it tucks up under my arm so that I can really clamp down on it if need be. Plus, my reading online and elsewhere, I'd carry my ID/money in a device under my clothes, not my bag. Additionally, I use pouches and straps, so if things fall out of my Swift, they don't fall far.

Again, I love it for travel...but I just really like it always! :P

~Tik

For what you want, I think an Imago is perfect. I think the Swift might be a bit awkward if you're also carrying a Tri-Star in backpack mode. I've worn an Imago or Cafe Bag with the Tri-Star or Western Flyer and it's quite comfortable.

I do love the Swift but I might be a bit nervous to put a DSLR in there. The Imago has the flap you can pull over and buckle, while still leaving a few things easily accessible in the side or back pockets.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    For what you want, I think an Imago is perfect. I think the Swift might be a bit awkward if you're also carrying a Tri-Star in backpack mode. I've worn an Imago or Cafe Bag with the Tri-Star or Western Flyer and it's quite comfortable.

I do love the Swift but I might be a bit nervous to put a DSLR in there. The Imago has the flap you can pull over and buckle, while still leaving a few things easily accessible in the side or back pockets.
    I don't know. The Imago is not for me and just doesn't suit all my needs. I'm just trying to find the perfect bag for a camera insert with enough room for other stuff.

If you had all your stuff in smaller sacks within the Swift, it should not matter. But you certainly can't carry it cross body. I like the Medium Cafe bag; versatile; not too big and can hold a lot of stuff in it. There are not too many bags that can be worn cross body and hold a camera + knitting etc., I would vote for the Imago or the Cafe bag.

I'm not sure the Swift would work. I took mine on a recent overseas trip and wished I had brought a large cafe bag instead. I was able to carry everything, but carrying it over my shoulder for 4+ miles of walking a day was pushing it. I actually ended up threading my arms through the straps and carrying it like a backpack for some of the longer walks.

I had some concerns about large crowds and stuff getting taken out of it, but I had everything in a pouch and attached with a key strap. I also taped the pouch containing my passport and most of my money underneath the clear pocket so it was between two layers of fabric. I figured they'd have to get the whole bag to get to it. Wonder if we can convince Tom to put an O-ring under one of the pockets to hold a wallet pouch?

Will I still take my Swift on domestic flights? You bet. It makes a great carry on and the open top means I can actually get stuff out of it without difficulty. It is still the best knitting bag I've ever come across, I just need to face the fact that I can't ask it to do everything and buy more bags
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post

I've said before more than once that messenger bags and I don't get along. . . but last night, I found myself "shopping" the Imago last night, searching all of the flickr pictures and trying to imagine my things inside of the bag. I've always loved the look of the Imago. I just do so much better with tote bags and back packs. . .

Is there a significant difference between the rigidity of the ballistic and cordura bags/fabrics? I think the floppyness of my past messenger bags is what made them not work for me, but if the bag had some body to it, we may be able to become friends. Steel/Cork/Wasabi. . . is calling my name.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by Tzporah View Post
    I'm not sure the Swift would work. I took mine on a recent overseas trip and wished I had brought a large cafe bag instead. I was able to carry everything, but carrying it over my shoulder for 4+ miles of walking a day was pushing it. I actually ended up threading my arms through the straps and carrying it like a backpack for some of the longer walks.

I had some concerns about large crowds and stuff getting taken out of it, but I had everything in a pouch and attached with a key strap. I also taped the pouch containing my passport and most of my money underneath the clear pocket so it was between two layers of fabric. I figured they'd have to get the whole bag to get to it. Wonder if we can convince Tom to put an O-ring under one of the pockets to hold a wallet pouch?

Will I still take my Swift on domestic flights? You bet. It makes a great carry on and the open top means I can actually get stuff out of it without difficulty. It is still the best knitting bag I've ever come across, I just need to face the fact that I can't ask it to do everything and buy more bags
    This really helps. I always want a bag to do everything. Alas, it can't. I do have an old messenger bag that will pack flat that I'll probably bring along. I can put my camera insert in it. I can still use the Swift on the plane and for days when i won't be trekking far.

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post

Is there a significant difference between the rigidity of the ballistic and cordura bags/fabrics? I think the floppyness of my past messenger bags is what made them not work for me, but if the bag had some body to it, we may be able to become friends. Steel/Cork/Wasabi. . . is calling my name.
    Mine is plum/plum/olive-- I think it's cordura and it has a nice stiffness to it. Generally, I'm not a messenger bag person either. The Imago and Cafe Bag are the only ones that have worked for me so far (though I'm sure other TB messenger bags won't work.)
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    This really helps. I always want a bag to do everything. Alas, it can't. I do have an old messenger bag that will pack flat that I'll probably bring along. I can put my camera insert in it. I can still use the Swift on the plane and for days when i won't be trekking far.
    Susan, Have you considered trying the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag with a camera insert? See this blog post describing marblejbc's thread on converting the PCSB into a camera bag:Name:  HadleyInsert.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  39.7 KB
    Most of the linked images are no longer available, except for the ones in the blog, but this worked well as a cross-body carry. I've attached a picture of the Billingham Small Hadley Insert that was used (which is available from B&H Photo and other vendors). It may depend on how much else you want to carry, though.

moriond

Moriond,
    thx for sharing that fab post on the camera insert in the packing cube/backpack. I.m intrigued. Havent come across the Billingham insert either so will have to look into it.

Hmmm. I have a new Imago that I was using for a knitting day yesterday. I also have an old film slr that I can put in too. I'll take some pics. If you are going to China in the summer, you will need a GOOD hat and LOTS of water. That is a bag that makes max use of pouches, cuz it doesn't have a ton of pockets.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0