What is the 1050d ballistic steel like?

I think I'm going to get a Breve and am trying to decide between the black and steel. I know what the black looks like because of the Co-Pilot I bought for my partner, but am not sure what the steel looks like. I've looked at pictures of various bags in 1050d steel, but I find it hard to get a real sense of the color.

I have an Imago lined with 500d cordura steel, which I'd describe as a light neutral gray. I have a FJN in 1000d cordura steel, which I find to be a darker charcoal with a greenish-blue cast. So, what is the 1050d ballistic steel like?
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

The 1050D Ballistic steel is a wonderful color; it has a great sheen to it, and looks very sophisticated. The cordura version of it is much more mute; but the ballistic looks really good. I have found it to be a very sophisticated color, and a great alternative to the black.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We took this photo of the Steel/Ultraviolet Co-Pilot yesterday. It shows the current dye lot of Steel 1050d ballistic nylon.

Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I recently lost a Steel/Steel/Cayenne Imago to a hazmat incident. That bag was Steel Ballistic Nylon and was gorgeous. It kept well, looking new all along. I have yet to see a photo that fully captures the beauty of the material. I truly miss that bag. It was a pleasure to look at and touch. TB has a great return policy, though I doubt once seeing it you would avail yourself of it. Be sure to look at it in sunlight as well. Magnificent material. Darcy's picture above comes real close, best I've seen yet, but the Steel Ballistic looks even better in person. There's this subtle shine to it. Not quite iridescent, but almost shimmery. Almost. It flows with the movement of the bag.

I will also take this time to petition TB for the return of the Steel/Steel/Cayenne Imago. A true classic.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Thanks to everyone for their answers. Between the comments in this thread, Darcy's great photo, and a couple of other threads I found on steel, I decided to get the Breve in steel! More TB anticipation is starting...
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0