Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Aeronaut - but smaller....maybe??

Aeronaut - but smaller....maybe??

Hi guys and gals - Many moons ago there was a request (maybe more than once) for a smaller Aeronaut-type bag. Is there any chance of that happening?

I really like the modified duffle bag form factor that is the Aeronaut, but, I would like that form factor on a smaller scale - perhaps the size of a Western Flyer or Tri-Star. There are times when the Aeronaut style would be ideal but I neither want nor need a bag as large. I had an Aeronaut but ultimately returned it as I could tell I was going to put too much in it to comfortably carry it. I have a TriStar (and have had a WF) and it is great for certain types of trips but there are times when having a nice open space to put things in without the limitations imposed by the internal structures of a TriStar or Western Flyer would be nice. I have considered a Red Oxx Safari Beano bag as this comes closer to what I am looking for but I prefer the materials and construction used by TB. I have also looked at a BAD bag but prefer the basic form of the Aeronaut.

It may be that I am in search of the unicorn of bags but thought it was worth asking. Cheers.
    Last edited by rabergnc; 03-24-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: fix error
    eWalker likes this.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I'd like to add my weight to this. The Aeronaut is excellent, however, for Europe it does push the boundaries a littler size, and it does rather encourage beating the 10Kg weight allowance of most budget airlines round here. I haven't yet managed to really fill mine, and, unless I'm flying with EasyJet (biggest size allowance, no weight limit) and I'm going for a long trip, I doubt I will, so an 80% sized version would be great and I'd buy one for my wife tomorrow. I've been dithering as to what to get for her as present, but that would be my first choice.
    eWalker likes this.

I LOVE my Tri-Star and my WF, but I can definitely use something like a smaller Aeronaut-- perhaps an Aeronaut-type bag with dimensions closer to the WF. The only thing that has kept me from getting an Aeronaut already is the size.

More specifically, I would still want at least one end pocket that can hold a pair of running shoes!
    eWalker likes this.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

I'm one who has posted on previous threads asking about a bag the could be a "smaller Aeronaut." Having posted on those other threads, it's good to see a new thread started by someone else. I can post a ditto, but hopefully not sound too much like a broken record!

Cough .. apologies to our forum provider .. I just purchased a bag from someplace else, but it really was the size, not because I thought the bag was better than a Bihn. The most current version of the Patagonia MLC is 7 x 14 x 20.5 and I like the size. I wonder a bit about some of its design decisions, but I am happy with the size.

Volunteer Moderator
    Another "Me, too" here for this option. For my 2011 wish list I'd like to see a slightly smaller bag based on the Aeronaut design that can be used on the European and other international carriers with size restrictions that rule out the Aeronaut. It has a lighter weight for it's size than the Tri-Star, which is currently my most frequently used travel bag. On the Tri-Star I like the access to the center pocket. But on the Aeronaut I really like the end pocket access when the bag is stowed (overhead, usually).

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We hear you! A smaller Aeronaut has been on Tom's mind for quite some time -- we hope to introduce it soon.
    eWalker likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Good news!! Can I pre-order today?>)
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    Good news!! Can I pre-order today?>)
    Not quite yet. As you've probably come to expect from Tom, he's looking into new components, fabrics, and even small design tweaks for this bag. I'll share more information as soon as I can!
    eWalker likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Oooh! Inmate controlled contest!

Let's having a naming fest to see if we can come up with a great name with some little prize if we come up with something awesome! (Yes, I am angling for my own FOT pouch!)

I would suggest the Aerophile!

The smaller Aeronaut has a name, but we won't reveal it just yet. You didn't get a FOT pouch, jeffmac? That shouldn't be so! Email me: darcy@tombihn.com

Thanks for the info Darcy. I will stop trying to hijack this thread now!

Darcy .. Tom surely has his own ideas, but after looking and buying bags galore (some here, but a .. ah .. few more, besides) I do hope Tom studies the 7 x 14 x 20.5. It really has been making me happy as a size. .. also the weight .. 2 1/2 lbs (strap not included).

Ideally for me the size would be 6-7 x 13 x 18-19 with one end pocket. I think 2 end pockets in a bag that size takes too much away from the main compartment. I look forward to hearing more about the bag as time progresses.

The ideal 'smaller' Aeronaut would be to only remove the inches that are absolutely necessary to make it more European compliant. The Aeronaut is imply a perfect bag...just make it a hair smaller, but no more! I think the goal should be a bit of shrinkage, nothing more. Of course, if Tom is inspired to add a tweak or two, that would be cool too!
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The smaller Aeronaut has a name, but we won't reveal it just yet. You didn't get a FOT pouch, jeffmac? That shouldn't be so! Email me: darcy@tombihn.com
    Ooooo! I like this smaller Aeronaut idea.
    eWalker likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0