Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Aeronaut - but smaller....maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    Ideally for me the size would be 6-7 x 13 x 18-19 with one end pocket. I think 2 end pockets in a bag that size takes too much away from the main compartment. I look forward to hearing more about the bag as time progresses.
    but that size sounds practically like the Western Flyer's 18" x 12" x 7" .. barely more

it will be exciting the day we get to read the description for a new bag .. whatever Tom decides (still rooting for my new fav size
    eWalker likes this.

Exactly! As I noted in my first post, I would like to see a bag about the size of either the Tristar or WF but with the form factor of the Aeronaut. I would not be averse to a larger size as you suggested, however!
    eWalker likes this.

Sold!! I will be one of the first to buy that smaller version of the Aeronaut!!
    eWalker likes this.

I just really hope for a Euronaut or Asianaut...not those names, but the minimum size reduction necessary to fly through the finicky parts of Europe and Asia. Just a trim, please...not too much off the top and sides!

It has a name!! Hooray! It shall be real! I'm saving my pennies now!

Make my dreams come true and tell me it will be available in purple!! (I'll happily accept steel with ultraviolet interior, though.)

I'm so excited!
    eWalker likes this.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    I really like the modified duffle bag form factor that is the Aeronaut, but, I would like that form factor on a smaller scale
    The form factor is the main reason I like the Aeronaut so much. It took me awhile, but I realized that because of the way it opens, it's similar to my old wheeled carry-on. In other words, lay it down flat and run the zipper around three sides and flip open to storage space. I prefer that to the briefcase styled packing with compression straps and no sides to speak of.

I guess what I'm saying is that the form factor does make a difference.
    eWalker likes this.
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

I agree with you on the form-factor of the Aeronaut, which I personally prefer to other bag designs. I purchased a Red Oxx Air Boss before I picked up the Aeronaut. The bag is very nice, but I did an experiment just to see how much I could pack in each bag. I took 8 pairs of underwear (briefs, socks, and moisture-wicking Tees, plus two pairs of jeans, six dress shirts, extra shoes and a ridiculous amount of toiletries, wires and cables. They didn't all fit in the Air Boss even though I used all the tricks, cubes, and folders at my disposal. I was blown away to find that it all easily and comfortably fit in the Aeronaut and it still held it's form with a decent amount of room to spare. The bag is simply cavernous. By the way, I never travel with that much gear/clothing, but this was just a use-experiment.

So, IMHO, it really is the form factor (yes, more cubic inches help as well), but it is the form factor that makes this level of packing, possible. I personally do not want a different form-factor from the Aeronaut. Because of the design, it would be easy to cut that bag down just a tiny-bit smaller, and still carry an extreme amount of stuff. Bottom line, I'm not as thrilled with a three-compartment design, even though I often need and use a suit! The option of the current size of Aeronaut plus a slightly smaller Aeronaut would be my go-to choice for life!
    eWalker likes this.
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

ShineAgain - very interesting! That the Aeronaut can hold more than the Air Boss. I'm not surprised, but this is the first I've read / heard about such a test. Thank you.

I too wouldn't mind seeing a slightly smaller Aeronaut. Aeronautlette of sorts. Same things, just slightly smaller.
    eWalker likes this.

Very excited about this smaller Aeronaut idea. I purchased a used Aeronaut recently, and absolutely love it, but I was overpacked for a week-long trip with it! So, a smaller form would be great. I like the look of the TriStar, and my hunny likes it too, so I'll sure that one of those is in our future, but I'd love a slightly smaller (Europe-compliant) Aeronaut!
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We hear you! A smaller Aeronaut has been on Tom's mind for quite some time -- we hope to introduce it soon.
    Oooo I am so there! I love the side compartment for stashing grubby shoes, damp towels, whatnot. This would be terrific!
    eWalker likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

ShineAgain, I agree. I also have an Air Boss. Like I said, I found myself preferring the Aeronaut and the reason is because of the way you pack it. I noticed this not while I was at home preparing for the trip, but while on the trip trying to bring home a bunch of souvenirs. It was easier to stuff them in the main compartment among the clothes rather than trying to figure out where it should go in the other bag. Unless you roll it inside as the core using the bundle method of packing, it's going to be on the outside with no real padding or protection.
    eWalker likes this.
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

Can you please take into account Australian carry-on luggage dimension limits? :-)

As others have suggested, I like the idea of only one end pocket for the smaller Aeronaut too.

Is there an approximate date when this new, smaller Aeronaut will be available??
    eWalker likes this.

What about a bag that has end pockets that zip off or to the inside, and a depth control zipper that allows it to be a little flatter when zipped, and when unzipped it expands to accommodate more?
    It would be a hybrid between the Aeronaut size when fully expanded and something smaller and more accommodating to budget airlines when compact.
    To cut weight down could it be made in Dyneema?
    eWalker likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Is there an approximate date when this new, smaller Aeronaut will be available??
    Not quite yet, but we'll keep you updated as much as we can.
    eWalker likes this.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0